Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: KNP Trip Dec 07
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:41 pm 

Spend time in Kruger from 22 - 31 Dec.

Stayed at Mopani and Skukuza.

We love Mopani, because of the setting and quietness of the camp. We have never had big game sightings around Mopani, but still we go there to experience the wilderness as it should be. Therefore the 3 days spent there did not give much on the animal side of things, but we did manage a magnificent bull rhino at Frasersrus waterhole. Unfortunately we could not find "ore".

We did however see our first hartbeest in Kruger after 15+ years of going there. Also managed to get a glimpse of Eland.

En route to Skukuza, we encountered our first lions for the trip, at the end we saw 28 lions in all. All photos at end of report.

Skukuza, well what can I say. Our favourite camp of all. Now we could travel in all directions, and be assured of many great sightings.

Travelled a lot of roads, but yet again the S114, S21 and S36, gave us spectacular sightings of our beloved cats. If you ever struggle to find the spotted one, I suggest you travel the S114. We have done it 4 times now, with 6 leopards spotted.

While searching for Duke, we came across another Tusker which I think can qualify for the emerging tuskers. Seen close to Mlondozi Dam. Perhaps someone has an idea as to who this is ( see photo at end).

All in all we had a excellent trip. However I feel Sanparks should do something about day visitors, not always but surely during public holidays. Skukuza was swamped, and I mean SWAMPED by day visitors on the 25th. What is the use of the facilities on the outside of camp, if no control is being done.

Maybe use a sticker system to allow access to camps. I would also reduce the quota if camps reach a specific percentage of bookings eg. If camp is 80% booked, reduce the quota at surrounding gates by 10% or so.

My reason for saying so....... the state of Kruger after such a day is awful to say the least. Everywhere you look is junk lying around, and not only in camps, everywhere next to the roads as well.

But anyway, here is the photos, hope you enjoy them

Remember to try and identify the ele. Also add to the Lion on the Rocks thread if you want to join the club.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Jaco, I may have seen that same ellie in 2006, in that same area, but I don't think he is a named tusker as yet — altho I understand that there are several newly named emerging tuskers from the 2007 competition entries. Be sure to enter this ellie in the 2008 competition! 8)

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:15 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Jako,
I wonder what the leopard is looking at, all your pics are just great. Those hartbeeste look as if they're wearing high heels.. must be girls on their way to the shops :roll:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Lovely sunset and I love that leopard as well! :mrgreen:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:21 am 

Thank you for the responses.

The sunset picture is actually a sunrise photo just outside Skukuza camp, where the roads intersect to go to the admin buildings.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]