Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Dias Point Cave - Cape Point Nature Reserve
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:03 pm 

I visited this most intriguinging and dangerously situated diminutive cave last weekend although it was highly recommended not to, as the high tides within these Cape Point coves can be extremely dangerous. The Table Mountain Nature Reserve has reported several deaths from inquisitive folk like myself attempting to gain access to the cave, so it is strongly advised not to do so especially if children are involved in the hike! So, I chose an appropriate time of the month - Spring Tide (low tide) and explored this little cavern rather thoroughly from the Dias Beach side of The Cape Point Nature Reserve.

The sandy beach on which the remains of the Iranian barge, the Shir Yib was standed in July 1970, provided an appropriate passage to the adjoining cove in which the Dias Point Cave is located, and using the safety of the monthly Spring Low Tide, I allowed myself to spend sufficient time to explore this cave which was littered with the dead remains of several comorant bodies.

True to the article I read in full circle, a large tree trunk had been washed up right to the rear end of the cave where an 'awesome' window in the rock allows one to view the Atlantic Ocean from within the cave. The power of the ocean at high tide must have been awesome to have shoved a floating hulk of timber this size right to the back of this cave. I was absolutely amazed at the number of round rocks piled up inside the cave as if Golitah had used it as a target into which to shoot his stonehenge marbles. I wonder what in living name Captain Dias was thinking when he visited this inhabitable cavern!

What enchanted me was the name of the cave! Although I can comprehend why the beautiful sandy yet treacherous white beach has been named after Bartholomew Dias, I am dumbfounded why this 'hole' in the scree-slope cliff walled structure would be named after this adventuresome seafarer.

Not only is it darned dangerous to get to this cave from Dias Beach, but I wonder why this mariner would have tried to in the first place! Did he perhaps have something to hide or maybe some treasure he wanted to stowaway from the Dutch Government till a later date. Wonder if he had an insight into Pirates of the Cariibean??? I searched and searched, but alas, found no hidden treasure. All I got was a sore back!

I would be elated if any of the Forum visitors might be willing to shed some light on why this little almost inaccessible wind-swept, ocean-thrashed wet hole-in-the-wall might have been named after one of the world's most ocean-going reknown pioneers. I am sure he did not need a moisture-ridden obscurity to store some select goodies in a godforsaken place like The Cape of Good Hope with it's shipwreck history.

I have searched the web for the origin of this cave's naming but have come up with nought to date.

Over to you dear visitors... :dance:

Last edited by Fullthrottle on Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]