Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 6
 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Katy & Francolin on the road again : Augrabies and KTP
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:27 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unbelievable, we waited since May last year for this trip.

And now here we are, tomorrow we are leaving for Augrabies and KTP. :dance:
The bags are packed and we can hardly wait to leave.

We will keep in touch via sms report as usual.

See you all again after our return and of course then there is a new trip report waiting for you as well.

Katy :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:57 am 

Just a last quick look at the forum and then we are on our way. :D

Thank you all for the kind words and wishes.We very much appreciate that.

See you lovely lot all again in a 'few' days . :wink:

Katy

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:46 am 

gwendolen wrote:
Bouf said the road was closed because of rain. (Bouf sms report)

Sorry must have missed that.

Damn, so our trip was just too early for the rains. I'd love to be there in the rain, and I'd also love to see the river/s flowing.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:32 pm 

Hi everybody :yaya:

It was indeed a very special trip we had really great sightings.
Experienced some rain and a few dust-storms, which was very special too.
We had really hot days in Kgalagadi.
It was incredible dry in the beginning and it was a relief to see some rain and after that some green at last.

We had some YR sightings :dance: ,enjoyed dinner with Glenda and SO at TR, had a great evening with Jumbo and SO at Urikaruus and were lucky to bump every now and then into Peter Piper en route.

There is so much to tell.
Francolin did a lot of filming on this time, I still have to figure out how to make them part of the trip report. :roll:

Right at the moment we are still at Joburg airport and waiting for our flight tonight. :(

See you all tomorrow , when we are back in cold old Germany.

Katy and Francolin

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:00 pm 

Well unbelievable , but 4 weeks are already over and we are back.
A few days ago it was still nice warm and at the moment we are struggling to adapt to the not so nice temperatures back here at home.

Once again I have to say we had an awesome time in Augrabis and KTP.
We had some great sightings and it was great to meet some fellow forumites again and some for the first time.

It was a tough time for woman and equipment , a lot of dust and heat.
Right at the beginning my Nikon D50 refused obedience and I was glad that I was (as usual ) travelling with two camera bodies .
A few days before the end of the trip something happened to my Sigma lens as well, but fortunately I was able to sort that out with Francolins help.
So not to worry there will be stacks of pics ( I already discovered the new posting rules, and I don't think that there will be a problem ).

Francolin did a lot of filming and I have to work my way through this as well (Michel Nel , I might be in need of some help here :wink: ,but at first I will have a try on my own).

Temperatures had been very high during this years stay, what a difference to May last year.
On some days we measured 42° C inside of our accommodation at Urikaruus and KTC.
We experienced some great thunderstorms and dust-storms which was quite awesome.
It was nice to see some rain finally arriving in the park.
What a relief for the creatures big and small.

We heard Lions roaring close to Twee Rivieren right before sunrise, Hyenas at KTC and Urikaruus, but we have not seen a single Spotted Hyena. :(

But of course we can not be unhappy with our sightings.
You all already know what we saw 8) , but it will all follow in more detail in our trip report.

We had such a nice and relaxed time in KTP.Most of the sightings were shared in a very friendly and relaxed way. There had been seldom more than 3-4 cars at one sighting and everyone had a good chance to find it's own best position.

Even after such a long time we had been very sad to leave, but you can be sure that we are already making plans for the next trip. :wink:

Now please grant me some time to work through all the pics, but I promise to start our trip report as soon as possible.

Katy :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:00 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Welcome back both of you, glad to know that you arrived home safely. Seems amazing that just a very short while ago, I was sharing stories with you in the KTP and comparing pics and notes of a day filled with some truly great sightings.

And thanks for the wonderful yellow ribbon you gave me!!! :) :) I'll wear it with pride! (OK so my car will :) ) but it will always remind me of you two and your unbridled love and passion for the Southern African bush.
Get a few hours rest and then start your trip report

Can't wait.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:44 pm 

:lol: Image
Yes Dreamer I see a trip report coming up :wink:
Hopefully I will have the first part ready on the weekend.
Shift again tomorrow at the hospital. :roll:

Thank you all for your kind words to welcome us back . :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:48 pm 

Ok, now it is time to do another trip report.
And although I like this very much, as it gives me on one hand the chance to linger over the memories of our latest trip a little longer. It means on the other hand as well that the trip is already over. :(

Well and it was a fantastic trip. 8)
We already had some nice sightings on our arrival day in Cape Town, where restio and Bush Baptist faced the trouble to meet up with us at the airport for a little brunch.

Lovely to meet up with you two. :D

It is always amazing, that people that have never met in person before can chat away like that about everything (although we had been a bit exhausted after the long way, which always makes me a little quiet).
This all happened thanx to the arrangements of Dreamer , who unfortunately did not had the chance to be with us (due to some confusion caused by me :redface: ).Be sure the next time on our way to KTP there will be another meeting…… :wink:

A few days ahead of our departure we discovered that Glenda and SO where booked on the same plane from Cape Town to Upington and so we had another YR meeting right at the gate.
We already planned before to meet up in Augrabies and later on in KTP as well, as we were going to be in 3 different camps on the same dates, but to see them already here in Cape Town was a very nice surprise.

We had a good flight, although some very nasty looking thunderstorm clouds showed up during the second half of the flight.
They were forerunners of a very impressive thunderstorm later that evening, which made us a little bit worried about the road conditions in KTP and whether the road to Nossob will be closed during our stay there.
But as we were spending three nights in Augrabies before that, we banned those ideas out of or minds a moment later.

After the usuall shopping in Upington (at least we are going to spend more than 3 weeks in KTP!!!! :dance: ) we were heading to Augrabies for the first three nights.

We choose that option to have a relaxed and smooth start to our long awaited holidays.
And it was relaxed . We liked Augrabies right from the start. What a great landscape.
The check in was done in now time. :thumbs_up:
A quick look through the shop , which was very well stocked with everything needed and we are off to have a look at our abode for the next three nights.

We had a very nice Bungalow and very nice neighbours, as Glenda and SO where staying in the hut right next to us.
They had driven to Augrabies in last nights thunderstorm which was even accompanied by hail.

So we unpacked the car. Get settled in our ‘new home’, made a coffee and sat on our stoep to enjoy the view.
We could even hear the Falls from there.
A small tree just before our bungalow explodes with Cape White Eyes and it was great to see them .
A couple of Red Eyed Bulbuls observed the bungalow door and if you do not watch out they even come into the kitchen.
Image :lol:
But not too long after we arrived, we set off to explore the camp and the Falls.

It was around 4 pm and man was it hot
:shock: . The sun was burning down by the time we started.

But there was a lot to discover.
A little Sunbird just drove me crazy as he did not sit still for a single second to enable me to take a decent photo.
Rock Dassies where literally everywhere.
Image Image
Hundreds of Rock Agamas made the rocks look like they were alive.
And a little before we reached the walkway to the Falls a Klippspringer passed our way.
Well that was something to our liking.

Although there was not too much water running down the Falls, it was impressive and we could imagine how it might be in the time of the year when they are full of water.
That really must be a deafening noise.
Image Image

We had a good walk around, but the sun (and the very annoying miggies :roll: , Dreamer already warned us ) made us return to the bungalow after 1 ½ hours.

Back at the bungalow we met Glenda and SO again, and as they wanted to braai (we wanted to visit the restaurant), we arranged to meet up for a sundowner later on.
It was great to chat with them and very hard to leave and not to miss the reservation for the restaurant.

After that we went to the restaurant.
Very nice we can absolutely recommend it. Lovely atmosphere and very good food (Francolin was delighted with the Kudu goulash).

I think that was a wonderful start to another great trip.

Last edited by katydownunder on Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:56 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Its amazing how small this world is we live. Unbeknown to us Katy was in the chalet next door to us at Nossob! The normal hello and waves as we passed in the park. It was only at Urikaruus that I introduced myself and pointed out the 14 Lions at the Veertlende Boorgat ( that day they had gone south and seen Leopard (gnashing of teeth) we had gone North and seen the Lion pride)
Thanks for the trip report and the link to your photographs
It would seem Kgalagadi is a place to meet new friends all with the same passion

Looking forward to the rest of the report

Steve

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:01 pm 

A great sunrise and cloudless sky promised another hot and sunny day.
There is a lot to see in the camp and around your bungalow as well.
Pale Winged starling checking the braai next door.
And Ground Squirrels patrolling the bungalows for some food.
We took our time to get ready and are finally on our way at 8am for our first ‘game drive’ in Augrabies.
Just a short drive and we are entering the game area.
The landscape is breathtaking and every detour from the main road to one of the lookout points is wonderful.

Moonrock

Ararat,Oranjekom and Echo Corner

We saw quite a few birds, Klippspringer and an interesting Grasshopper.

Image Image Image

As it already got hotter and hotter we decided to return to camp around noon.
We just left the camp again at 3 pm and in the distance very dark clouds are coming to the direction of the camp.
But regardless of the upcoming thunderstorm we are on our way.
In meantime the heat got unbearably hot. Slightly over 42°C and the sky got darker and darker. You could even make out some lightning at the horizon.
We are driving to Ararat once again, but the wind got really strong and the thunderstorm closer, so we did not dare to get out of the car and instead slowly headed back to camp.
As we reached the main road we stopped the car to take some photos of the sky, we suddenly realised that not a single sound could be heard outside.
No wind any more, no bird nothing, just silence.
Than out of a sudden a severe storm started.
At first we could see a thin yellow line at the horizon which grow bigger and came closer very fast.
We then realised that this was simply dust.
I tried to make photos but they not really show the dimension of the 'sand/dust wall'.
This Dassie was obviously not looking forward to the storm :lol:
Ok, so no braai tonight.
But there are worse things than another evening in the restaurant in Augrabies……
During dinner I had to go and get my camera, the sky showed the most stunning colours I ever saw.

We had a great day with some great sightings, but as the heat exhausted us a bit, we called it a day and went to bed early.

Last edited by katydownunder on Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:49 pm 

Thank you all for your comments.
:D
We like thunderstorms, especially if we are able to watch them from from a safe place, like our bungalow or car.
We experienced the most awesome thunderstorms in Africa, they are much more powerful than here in Germany.
Something special for sure.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:59 pm 

So this is going to be our last day in Augrabies.

I told Restio and Bush Baptist during our meeting that a sighting of a black Eagle was very high on my wish list.
So far, as hard as I could possibly look, we could not find one.
Today we gave it another try.

We entered the game area once again.
Not too far away from the entrance there is a small puddle to cross (on the first morning we thought our trip already ended here), not deep and easy to drive as the water flows over a paved area.
Here a Three Banded Plover passed our way.
We came along some nice Quiver Trees
And met Sandgrouses.
They are such handsome birds.
Image Image
Although it was so dry everywhere there are still some flowers around.
We stopped at Ararat Lookout (one of my favourite), it is so quiet up there and the view into the gorge is breathtaking.
Just a perfect setting for a Black Eagle. :wink:
And as we stood there it happened, a wonderful Black Eagle sailed past us nearly right at the level of our eyes .
Image Image
And even better , he grabbed his prey firmly with his impressive claws.
He landed on top of a rock above us and later started for a flight again.
This time he passed us just to cross the gorge and settled himself on the ridge at the opposite side of the gorge. Too far away. :roll:
But we were happy.

From here we wanted to drive to Oranjekom (our plan, to have a small snack there before heading back to camp).
It was already piping hot again.

We stopped just after the turnoff from the main road as two Klippspringer crossed the road and took their time to go further up the rocks. Nibbling on bushes every now and then.
Soon after that we met the Augrabies Giraffes. We were pretty sure that they would stay in that area for a while so we moved on to Oranjekom.
Shortly before we reached our aim we were stopped by a hiker , who really appears to be quite exhausted.
He looked very relieved , that we could answer his question if we speak German, with yes.

Early in the morning he started the Dassie Trail. But must have missed the change of direction at Moonrock (Glenda told us, that you have to look for the signs very carefully, to avoid missing the right direction).
Since then he was wandering around.
He started at 6.30 am and by now it was 11.30 am. :shock:

But he insisted on continuing his hike, all he wanted was to know if that was the right direction to the main road, as he wanted to commence his way to the camp on it.
Once again a yes and he was on his way again.

We had a quick snack at Oranjekom in company of quite a few Lizards.
We stopped again for the Giraffes on the way back .
In the meantime they had moved closer to the road and we could observe two Giraffes, who were not sure if the like each other, or if they wanted a fight.
Image Image

All the time we were very concerned about the safety of the hiker. It was unbelievable hot, and we did not even know if he got enough water ( :slap: stupid, we should have had asked him..)
Half the way from Oranjekom to the camp we met him again.
This time he was glad that we offered him a lift to the camp.
Still he was not able to figure out how and where he missed the right way.

The day was getting hotter and hotter.
And by the time we set off in the afternoon, there were already black clouds in the distance.
We stopped again at Ararat. Both of us had the same thought…..
Twice in a single day?! Now we are not going to be soo lucky to see the Black Eagle again.
But, wow. Here he was again. 8)
Sailing passed us just like this morning. And again with prey, which this time could easily be ID as a Rock Dassie.
Image Image
What a day.
We could not stay for long as the thunder came closer and closer. With the thunder came the wind again, which made it really unpleasant to stay on the rocks and have a look into the steep gorge.

On the way back to the camp we came across again a pair of Klippspringer ,that were used as a landing platform for Starlings. Image
The Klipspringer did not seem to mind them at all.
Have a closer look at the pics and I think you know why.
I think they helped them to get rid of all these annoying miggies.

Back at camp we were lucky enough to finish our braai just in between two rain shower. :roll:

And once again the evening sky shows all kind of stunning colours.
Image Image
Tomorrow we are off to KTP and are very much looking forward to it and all the great sightings ahead.

We liked Augrabies very much.
It was an ideal start to our holiday. The landscape is breathtaking and the camp lovely.
Do not miss the restaurant .
I am pretty sure that this will not be our last visit.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:50 pm 

I can not describe how excited we were in the morning.
Finally the day arrived when will be back in KTP again.
Everything was packed in an instant and we were on the road (as anne-marie would say) to Paradise.
Some more shopping in Upington, to stock up on fresh veggies and packed meat, after that there were just a few hundred kilometres between us an our destination. :D

The first 20 kilometres of the road had been tarred. The sandy bypasses to the road were nice and easy to drive. Only the last 30 kilometres were really hard, rattling and annoying.

Already the greeting at the gate was great, very friendly and with loads of infos for us new incoming guests.
A little disappointment awaited us at reception. We were told that the road between Leeuwdrill and Roiputs is closed due to last days rain :( . And we were so much looking forward to that special stretch of road to have a look if the Leopard mum and cub were still there.
But hopefully it will stay dry and they will reopen it again in a day or two.

Check in was done I no time and so we were able to move onto ’’our’’ home (#3) for the next two nights.

Soon after we unpacked the car, we made some coffee and sat on our terrace. Heaven!

Of course we instantly had some visitors who checked if everything was ok and hoped that we had something to eat beside our coffee.

Birds and Squirrels right in front of our bungalow kept us entertained for quite a while, but we were eager to go on our first drive.
Image Image Image

Collecting the permit at reception, deflating the tires of the car and off we were.

The Nossob Road was closed ,so we drove the Mata Mata road to the direction of Munro Waterhole.
There had been a lot of reports of Honey Badger sightings around that particular waterhole. And Honey Badger were high on our wish-list for KTP

The drive through the dunes was rather pleasant and we saw some Korhaan.
Image Image
Two Jackals at Munro waterhole.
Several dead Elands (we were prepared to see them, but we did not imagine how many of the carcasses we were going to see during this years trip :shock: ).
Further on a Kori Bustard.
And a Giant Eagle Owl.
And on the way back to the camp our first Oryx this year.
This little fellow stirred up the whole dune with his screeching :lol: .

We already decided back at home, that we will use the restaurant in Twee Rivieren as often as possible.
And we had not been disappointed. The food was very good, as was the service. We were pretty sure that this was not our last visit there.

A last glass of wine outside of our bungalow and then to bed.

Last edited by katydownunder on Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:53 pm 

Image After a lot of cursing and struggle :redface: I finally managed to sort out how to upload the videos in an acceptable quality. :wink: (Thanx to Michele Nel)
So here are the vids taken in Augrabies.
The KTP videos are still to come.

Before the Thunderstorm

Ararat Lookout Point

Fighting Giraffes

All videos are taken by Francolin

Last edited by katydownunder on Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:00 pm 

We woke up before sunrise.
A nice thing to do here, but what a struggle back at home……

I made some coffee and we sat outside.
The call of a Giant Eagle Owl could be heard and Lions were roaring in the distance.
Slowly the sun made her way up over Botswana.
Life is good!!!!

Sipping my coffee I discovered that one of the Owl we were listening to sat on the roof of one of the bungalows close to us, so I took my cam and tried to take some pics.
She observed every move of mine with curiosity.
And flew a way a couple of minutes later.

The road to Nossob is still closed, so we decided to drive the Mata Mata Road up to Kamqua Picnic Spot to have breakfast there.

We had some very nice sightings on our way.
A huge Springbock herd stopped us for a while, as they were on their way to cross the road.
Two Giant Eagle Owl tucked away in one of the trees (not very amused that we stopped to photograph them).
A beautiful Eagle.
Pygmy Falcon
Bee-Eater
And our first Cape Cobra on this years trip.
A dust-bathing Ostrich.

We passed some huge Weaver nests and it is always a pleasure to stop and observe them doing their work.

No sightings though on the way back from Kamqua to the camp.
The temperatures were already high (around 44°C) and most of the animals preferred not to run around in this heat.

After a siesta in camp we are on the road again.
On the ‘t-junction ‘ we had to decide which way to go. The no entry sign on the Nossob road was gone.
But we took the Mata Mata road and wanted to give the Nossob road a try later that day.

The way through the dunes and the stretch of road to Monro was not too busy,but still had some nice sightings.

Again a beautiful Eagle.
Lovely, some Dikkop’s with chicks. :D
Image Image
And finally a Brant’s Whistling Rat. Last May we saw them in their hundreds. This time it was a rare sighting :? .
I think it is a strange sighting to see a Heron in such a dry area as KTP. You always expect them to be close to rivers and dams. But we saw them quite often.
Another funny sighting were these three Ant Eating Chats sitting on a branch. Just seconds later they were gone again.
So after spending some time here and there we turned around and made our way back to the direction of Twee Rivieren.

As planned we took the Nossob road now. Stopping of at Samevloeiing Waterhole.Nothing to be seen here except again loads of carcasses (Eland and Wildebeest).

Having the reports about the Leopard Mum and Cub in mind, we were eager to drive the road up to the point of Leeuwdril Waterhole.
The road was muddy in some places but not as bad as we thought.
Coming closer to Leeuwdril we had to drive some bypasses ,as the main road was impassable.Deep puddles with lot of mud made it hard to drive. Unfortunately you were not able to drive close to Leeuwdril , but that was not necessary……….

(to be continued... :wink: )

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next