Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:57 pm 

Crooks Corner in December was absolutely pumping with the Luvuvu adding to its power.

We stayed in the Pafuri or Makuleke(spelling???) consession with wilderness safaris and it was unbelievabe to see some pictures of the Limpopo river almost completly empty!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Stoffel wrote:
Was there on 13 May this year (first time). Beautiful!!!! Both rivers still had quite a lot of water.

Couldn't agree more!!
I was there on 24 and 25 April — liked it so much that I went back again next day (and on that 2nd drive from Punda, that's when I saw the AWDs 8) ).
I thought it a magical spot — perhaps more so because the roads to Crooks Corner had been closed on previous visits, so it was a bit of a mission for me to finally get there :D .
I love the whole Parfuri area, very different from any other part of the park.
Nyala Drive, especially the road that extends west from the loop road, is also magical — with some fabulous baobabs and breathtaking rocky outcrops.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This is the Limpopo this month (June 2006). Really taken from Crooks Corner! This is the first time in many years that I have seen the Limpopo flowing, apart from a tiny trickle on one occasion.

I have another shot which I will post of some local villagers (I assume) from the Mozambique side walking (?fishing) along the river!

Richard

http://www.pbase.com/richardharris/june_2006

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

As promised, the Limpopo and unexpected people. No idea where there came from or what they were doing!

ImageLarge
Richard

Last edited by Elsa on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resizing

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

richardharris wrote:
As promised, the Limpopo and unexpected people. No idea where there came from or what they were doing!

They are most probably people from Zimbabwe as there are settlements on the Zim side are very close to the Limpopo. During my stay in the Makuleke we saw people on the banks of the Limpopo on various occasions (we even caught six of them crossing through the KNP, anti-poaching returned them to Zim).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:43 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

As promised, I'll try to do a little neater merge when I have time:

ImageLarge

The Nyala Tree at the confluence of the Luvuvhu and Limpopo rivers at Crooks Corner.
ImageLarge

You can easily see this using Google earth. It's actually a panarama photo, consisting of 4 photo's. There was no other way I could get it captured, being a huge as it is.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Last edited by Elsa on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Pic resizing.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:24 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
I remember Bruce Bryden writing about the destruction land mines across the river here caused to animals.

Rangers had to put down many animals, mostly elephants it seems that got some limps blown off after triggering a landmine.

Once found a bull with festering scrapnel wounds near Klopperfontein dam.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

ImageLarge

The confluence of the Luvuvhu and Limpopo rivers at Crooks Corner, at the spot just before the Luvuvhu enters the Limpopo. This spot seemed to be something of a "hippo spa" ... sorta like a natural jacuzzi. Just look at this hippo's expression ... hippo bliss :lol:

ImageLarge

Last edited by Elsa on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pics resizing.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:33 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have a burning question:

Before the floods from 2000, there used to be a sign telling guests that they could get out of their vehicles at own risk.
With the floods the sign was washed away ad up to date no sign has been replaced.

I had a heated argument with 4 gentleman on Saturday about this, seeing that they were walking around at Crooks spot, taking photo's.
As far as I know, if there's not notice, it means your'e not allowed out of your vehicle.

The 4 bloke's mitigating evidence was that it used to be a get-out spot, and still is, there just isn't a sign.......
Things got so bad, SO asked me to rather leave the argument, and get out of there

Now, my question is: is this a get-out spot or not?
If it isn't, KNP Management need to urgently put up a notice explaining this, because a lot of people allight from there vehicles at this spot, and I know there is a resident leopard that frequents this spot regularly :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:32 pm 

On my latest map it is marked as a Lookout Point - not a Getout point. So I would say one may not get out there.

We were there about 10 days ago and because we had a ranger with us as we were on the Lebombo Eco Trail, were able to get out and walk around.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:41 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Crook's Corner is a magical place for me, especially driving through the fever tree forest. I was quite sad that i couldn't go back to this place during my trip in June this year!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

amanzi wrote:
Any feedback regarding the "don't get out of your vehicle, the leopard will eat you" sign that needs to be put up at Cooks Corner?

This first shot was taken at about 04h30 on the 1st of November 2007. Forget Leopard, what about Lion - the second shot was taken about about 20 min later. :naughty:
What more do you need to convince anyone not to get out of their vehicles at Crooks Corner
These two crossed from the Zim side. Since we had been watching the sunrise we only caught the tail-enders [and they were moving real fast].

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:38 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Man that's a nice sighting! Just goes to show that illegal immegrants aren't always just human :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:55 am 

Wild about cats wrote:
I... We honestly didn't know that we were not allowed. We did learn this rule later on :redface: I suggest a sign be put up saying that tourists may not alight from their vehicles. If we had something like that, far less people would get out, we wouldn't have for example.

Easiest way: If there is no sign stating that you may alight from your vehicle then stay inside your vehicle. The same as with so many other spots in Kruger which looks nice to get out but are not get-out points.

Maybe they should put up a "Get out on own risk" sign there?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:57 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I have only been to Crooks Corner once (so far), and that was during a ranger course earlier this year. We got out and walked about there - totally unaware that we should not do so. The trainer did not even mention that we should stay close to the vehicle or that we should not be out of it at all! He definitely had no weapon. Mind you, he was also of the brigade that thinks they have a right to stop anywhere they want, including the middle of single bridges to take pictures, spot birds, etc whether there are other folk waiting to cross or not. He even had a few choice words for someone who showed impatience at being made to wait.
The advice about not getting out unless there is a sign to say you can is good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next