Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:46 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Crossings is opposite the Game at the N4 junction.
There is a Spar and a Woolies food store there.
If you did not know about it you may not know that Riverside expanded and now has a Checkers too as well as the Pick and Pay.

Allow about an hour to Malelane gate.
Incidentally you may also not know that there is a big shopping centre at Malelane too - First set of robots has Pick and Pay on the right, but if you go left you get to the Inkwazi centre with Spar and several other stores.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:11 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

The junction I referred to is the N4/R40 junction.
If coming from the Jhb side there is a slip road before the junction into Crossings, but if you miss it just turn left and then left again.
There is a Pick and Pay opposite next to Game, but that centre is SO awkward to find your way into and out of again that I still get it wrong, and I live in the area!!!!!

If you are looking for extra camping bits and bobs then try Nelpsruit Caravans at the junction before the above one (turn right from Jhb direction and then right again and follow down towards the N4 again and it is at the bottom).
Also Outdoor Warehouse - Turn up R40, keep going to the BP garage, turn right, right again and then right again and go past the car service workshop and OW is on the right.
Trappers Trading is further up the R40 on the right at Value Mall (good Fruit and VEg City there too).
And Riverside has a Cape Union Mart - but choice there is limited I find.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:17 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Do not have GPS co-ordinates, sorry.
But the Spar is easy to find.
You come into Malelane on the N4 from J'burg side, turn left at the first set of traffic lights and keep going across a pedestrian crossing and then turn left into the Inkwazi Shopping centre and Spar is to the right. Parking never a problem.
Back at the traffic lights on the N4 Pick and Pay is on the right - and often actually has better fresh produce than Spar.
If you are going on to Croc Bridge from there rather than Malelane Gate, then you can also try the Nampak/Colours fresh produce place at Hectorspruit.
Minimum of 1kg amounts of anything, but prices are lower than the supermarkets (many folk from up country stock up there on their way home from Kruger).
If they let you down, then you still have the Komatipoort Spar to fall back on.
That is on the right as you get into Komatipoort - a stop street outside a Caltex petrol station.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:51 am 

Coolers are probably best purchased outside the park.
There are a number of fairly large department stores that have a wide range of them and the pricing will be lower than if purchased inside the park.

Since you will be self catering, I suggest that you buy the coolers closer to your starting point, and use them to transport at least some of your food with you to the park.

Once there, you can refill with ice, food and drinks from any of the shops inside the park.

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:41 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

The Spar is on the right as you drive towards the Phalaborwa gate, when you are almost through Phalaborwa. You will not miss it. There are traffic lights just before, and you turn right to get to the parking area. The information centre is on the left of the road opposite it.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:54 am 

I've asked this question before in another thread, and received some good suggestions . . . seeing as how this thread is dedicated to the subject, though, I figured might be able to get some more responses!

Does anybody know of any easy/good places to stock up on food as well as purchase some camping essentials (ie. camping chairs, extension cord/blue plug, cooler box, etc.) on the way from Jo'burg to Punda Maria? And what kind of shopping can be done at Punda Maria?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:00 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Towns like Polokwane(Pietersburg) and Louis Trichardt(incorrectly shown as Makhado) are both good to buy these things from. But depending on what time you would be leaving JHB.

Punda has the bare necessities. And sometimes not even that. I wouldn't bargain on buying anything from the Punda shop.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:54 pm 

Location: In UK desperately waiting for the next trip to SA!!
Hi,

We will be coming in to the park via Phalabowra Gate, I know that there is a SPar on the way in, but I also notice on the map that there is another supermarket in Phalabowra too.

I need to buy a coolbox and insect coils mozzi sprays etc before we come in.......... does anyone know if I can buy these at the Spar? Or would it be better to go to the other one? The name escapes me!!! Must be my age!!!

Any help please?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I believe the Spar in Phalaborwa stocks everything :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Faunavista, welcome to this wonderful forum :D

You mention that you will arrive at KMIA and want the shortest route to the Park, need a place to shop and first 2 nights at Biyamiti.

I would shop in White River, very close to KMIA and the shortest route to Kruger will then be to enter at Numbi Gate instead of driving to Nelspruit (which actually take you further away from Kruger) to shop. I know there is a PnPay in White River, not sure about a Spar :?

If you prefer not to go in at Numbi, then I would think its better to get onto the N4 drive from KMIA to Malelane, do your shopping there at the Spar or PnPay and enter at Malelane Gate :D

Remember Biyamiti does not have a restaurant or shop. Most of the time you will be able to buy wood and ice, but rather buy some to see you through the first night, just incase :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:00 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Faunavista

Both of the above options are great!
Stay away from Nelspruit, it will be a waste of your time.

Taking in to account the time you are landing, I would go for the Malelane option.
The reason for this is simply the travel time inside Kruger itself. (Remember you will travel at less than 40 km in Kruger and at 120 km outside!)

Malelane gate is much nearer to Biyamiti than Numbi gate.
This will leave you with much more flexibility in your travelling schedule and less stress whether you will make it in time (You still have to spend time shopping.)

To get to Malelane:

It is easy to get on to the N4 (main road) from KMIA.

Follow the N4 all the way to Malelane.
Do your shopping at the Spar in Malelane.
It is a huge shop and you will be able to find all you need there. (From the N4 turn left at the first traffic light in Malelane, keep straight for a short distance - plus minus 500 meters - until you see a big shopping centre with a huge parking area on your left hand side).

To get to the Malelane gate: Get back on the N4 and continue travelling in the same direction. Follow the signs!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject: Re: Buying Groceries
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:47 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Shop at Spar or Pick and Pay in Malelane before entering at Malelane gate for Berg en Dal and then just top up in the park.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Post subject: Re: Shopping
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Stark wrote:
A question about bringing in meat...does it need to be packaged in any special way to bring it into KNP? What about fruits/veggies?

RSA supermarkets will vacuum pack your meat for you.
I always ask them to vacuum pack mine in meal-sized packets, so that I only need open one pack per braai. These packets can then be frozen, so it's easy to carry enough meat for a two-week stay in the park.
Most RSA supermarkets also sell excellent re useable cooler bags that will keep groceries at least chilled for several hours, plus they fold flat and fit in your luggage! 8)
I brought mine home with and am using it here regularly and it will likely travel back with me on my next trip! Adding ice to such cooler bags when traveling between camps worked fine for me in keeping meat and produce cool or frozen — just use separate bags for what you want to keep frozen and what only needs to be cooled.
I also freeze juice boxes (and water bottles) to use in cooler bags when traveling to my next camp — and to keep my padkos cool on game drives :wink:

Post subject: Re: What do the stores stock?
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

There are a number of stores in Nelspruit where you can stock up before entering the park.
There is a Woolworths foods - their fresh fruit and veggies are probably the best.
There is also a pick 'n Pay ( local supermarket) in the Riverside mall where you can get everything as well
Hazyview, a small town just near Phabeni and Kruger gates also has supermarkets that stock most things so you shouldn't have a problem.
The drive from Nelspruit to Hazyview will take about 45min-1 hour, then you can choose which gate to enter at.
Phabeni to Skukuza will take about 2 hours depending on how much you see.
This gate is very close to Hazyview.
Kruger gate is about half an hours drive from Hazyview. Kruger gate to Skukuza will only take about 20 min to half hour max, again depending on what you see.
The choice of gate will then obviously depend on how much time you have available before camp gate closing time

Post subject: Re: What do the stores stock?
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:50 pm 

Skukuza is the best stocked shop in the park but think English corner shop circa 1970s for the level of and variety of stock.
Are you flying into Nelspruit or KMIA?
If KMIA then I think your best bet would be to try a supermarket in White River or Hazyview before entering the park, if possible.
I think going into Nelspruit itself would be out of your way, happy to be corrected by the locals though.

You can get basics such as canned peas, corn, tomatoes, sugar, tea, coffee, cereals, biscuits, rice and pasta.
Fresh food can be hit or miss - last time some potatoes were a bit soft and the bread was hard.
Haven't tried the meat yet.
You should be able to get milk and maybe yoghurt.

You should also be able to get basic toiletries - shampoo, deodorant etc. and some over the counter medicines such as pain killers but if there is anything you really need then take it with you.
There are no chemists in the park for prescriptions.

Everything in the park will cost more than outside but you will find it more than reasonable compared to UK prices.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next