Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:13 am 

One of my favorite Kruger moments was at the Lake Panic Hide. We were the first to arrive and the sun was just coming up. There were about 20 hippos in the water right in front of the hide. We could have reached out and touched them!

Farther away from the hide, the morning light (beautiful!) was coming through what we first thought were plumes of steam. It was hippo breath!

Total magic. I highly recommend getting to the hide early and being very very quiet as you make your approach so as not to scare away whatever may be lurking close-by.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:17 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

1. Definitly N'waswitshaka Waterhole, where I saw a lion kill start and finish, from the hunt to the end of the feeding frenzy. Best sighting in my life so far.

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
A difficult one to answer as there are so many places that are special. From Nkumbe (I love the view eastwards as well even though you are not allowed out your vehicle) to Tshanga lookout. Both very special. My favourite road just has to be the Gudzane road (S41) from the Gudzane dam in the south to the Gudzane windmill in the north. Approximately 17kms long and always something interesting to see.

Post subject: Re: What's YOUR favourite spot in Kruger?
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:51 pm 

Wildman wrote:
I would like to raise a new exciting topic for discussion.

I am sure most of us think that KNP is great; and it’s very difficult to single out a specific spot as one’s favourite. But… if you had to stick out your neck and pick one spot/place/road/camp/ (where ever it may be in KNP, no matter how strange or even cliché,) where would it be?

OK. Bearing in mind that I am sticking my neck out here.
Toss up between N'wanetsi and Lake Panic, with Lake Panic being slightly ahead.
Otherwise the answer is; ANYWHERE.

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:57 am 

On the h14, Palaborwa gate to Shingwedzi there is a small loop following the Ngenyeni spruit with the best views. O :hmz: n the road to Letaba just past Masorini is a dam where we always find Elephant. Most interesting is just past the dam on the right is a tree with a big log 8meters up in a fork of the tree. We have been looking at this log since 2003 to see how long it will stay up there. It is still there! Does anyone else know about this log or how it got there? :hmz:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:13 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

That may still be a remnant of the floods in 2000?

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:08 pm 

All very good places... I agree with Nkhulu because we have also had many happy breakfasts there over the years and of Nkumbe... listening to the wind and taking it all in. :D :D

My favourite place in the park though is shared between two places:

The first being the Olifants high level bridge in the late evening just before gate closing time... it is all that is Kruger... all the sounds and smells of the bush. Love the smell of the bat guano and the sound of the bats in the evening... at one stage could also walk on bridge, not sure anymore?

The second is probably Rabelais Dam near orpen, also in the late evening... fantastic... even without the water!

Also renosterkoppies, Mpondo dam, Balule low level bridge, Orpen Dam, Nwanetsi, Gezantfombi dam, Look outs along Biyamiti road (+ S118/ Gardenia road)... the list goes on and on... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:50 pm 

To me it has to be the Redrocks loop at Shingwedzi when it is in flood and the water is flowing over the rocks :shock: is magical...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:17 pm 

Bush Andy wrote:
The first being the Olifants high level bridge in the late evening just before gate closing time... at one stage could also walk on bridge, not sure anymore?
Yes, you still can and its something very few of us can resist, Bush Andy, a wonderful view point and always something interesting to see from there. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:37 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi camelman

You are quite right about Redrocks when the Shingwedzi is flowing. But in 20 years coming to the Kruger I haven't seen it very often!

And of course when its really flowing, as in February 2000, you have to be lucky (as we were) to see it before the roads have to be closed!

Richard

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:51 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Tshanga is one my favourites . 20 years ago I discovered that a person can clamber over the edge onto a ledge . I take my camping matress , pillows and provisions for an afternoon to enjoy the vista over the plain to the east , and with the Tshanga stream in the foreground I have enjoyed many afternoons without people being able to see me , and also hearing no noise from cars arriving & departing .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject: Longwe Lookout - Comments please
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:41 am 

Can anyone give me any comments on the Lookout at Longwe, just north of Letaba.
I have not seen any comments on it.
I have made this request in the chit=chat forum as I lost this thread.

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:05 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Longwe lookout is on the S62, longwe road.
Well worth the effort, the view is stunning! I have a pano somewhere, let's see.. Found it, but not the pano.
So that will come later, here is a bit from last years trip report:

Longwe has a great view!
As you can see you can see all over the Engelhard Dam, but not the dam itself.
When you drive back down there is a little loop which will bring you to the dam itself.
The next turnoff goes to Anna Ledeboer's grave, where you have a great view of the dam as well, but from the other side.

ImageLarge
ImageLarge

There is a turnoff to Matambeni Hide as well, which is more than worth the effort.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Last edited by Elsa on Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pics resized.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:37 pm 

I’ve only had the pleasure to visit Kruger two times, but obviously there are curtain spots I found more interesting than others. We hit one of those golden moments when we visited Swini bird hides the 09th of September this year. When we arrived there was no other ‘Krugerists’ around. The setting, tranquillity and atmosphere in general where just magic, that said, the story could have been totally different if the place had been ‘jam packed’ with other people.

In the everyday life many of us are surrounded by other people. When I’m on Holidays or have some days off I don’t fancy to 'be stuck' with other people in a national park, or any other place for that matter. Neither do I like to queue up in car in order to watch a cat or two. In more than one occasion we just tried to pass by when hips of cars had stopped in what looked like ‘first’ class traffic jams; of course this was due to the big cats. This said, I have to add that I don’t dislike other people, but from time to time it’s just so important to feel the pulse of a place on your own, or be able to do some sightings by yourself.

Back to Swini bird hides. The hide has excellent possibilities for bird and animal photography as well. It’s a privilege to visit such a place when all the conditions mentioned above are present. It’s kind of place who I easily could spend a whole day with my camera gear and good supplies of water and some food/snack.

We also found Malelane Gate Bridge to be a gem, lots of action and sightings from the bridge. What a welcome to KNP! Nkumbe lookout point is also magic; I can’t imagine any other place in KNP with a view of such a spectacular calibre as that. It really gives a perspective of the enormous size of the national park, and to suck in the atmosphare from this spot is a grand treat to yourself! The Oliphants river crossing bridge is another favourite, with 'biocs' and field scope this is a must for all birders. The view deck in Oliphants Camp is another breathtaking place. Mlondozi picnic spot has a splendid location, and I can’t think of any better place to join my braii lunch. The river view from Letaba rest camp is also something of its own, and at last Talamati bushweld camp is a place I without any hesitations could spend a week. The two days we spent there just seemed like a ‘finger snap’.

Fortunately KNP has a vast number of places which do appeal to different ‘Krugerists’, in different ways. I know one thing for sure, I’m not at all finished with KNP, and most likely I’ll never be. KNP with its endless opportunities has simply become nourishment to my soul!
BT

Blaise Pascal

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Tough one, especially because I tend not to think in terms of favorites that much.

A few I can come up with :

- Mutale lookout
- Hangklip
- The Outpost
- Banyini (haven't yet figured out whether that's in or outside Kruger).

I know, none of the above are accessible on public roads.

Johan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next