Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Adw's KNP trip report - Nov 2007
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
I have just spent a week at Satara (24/11/07 to 1/12/07). The campsite was very quiet and well kept. The weather varied from overcast with light rain to hot sunny days. In other words 'great'. I was up early every morning ensuring that I was at the gate at opening time. On two ocassions I was first to leave and in both instances came across lion in the middle of the road. The first lot (3 males) were about 10 km north on the H1-4 and the second time a mating pair on the H1-3 600 metres south of Satara. This pair created a huge traffic jam as all the early spotters wanted a glimpse of them and there is only so much road to view them. I took a couple of photos and decided to move on and leave the chaos. I then turned left onto the S100 and low and behold about 2km on the S100 I came across another mating pair of lions and was able to watch them with far less traffic around. Lions were also spotted on 2 occassions on the S41 north and south of the S100 intersection.
The veld was in excellent condition and the usual grazers and browsers were in plentiful supply. The rivers were flowing but a number of causeways were dry. The recent rains have created a number of small drinking pools in the veld but this did not mean the animals were not around. Zebra were spotted in their thousands particularly just north of Tshokwane.
I spotted at least 9 square lipped rhino in the Satara region. They were spotted on the S90, S126, and S41.
Other interesting sightings were sable on the S36, a number of jackal and hyenas on the S41, S90 and H1-4.
The S39 was relatively quiet regarding all game.
Giraffe were in plentiful supply as well particularly on the S41.
Surprisingly elephant sightings for the first few days were almost non-existent and only towards the end of my stay did I manage to see a breeding herd of elephants and what a herd it was. I estimated that there were about 60 of them which had come down to the Ngotso dam to drink and bathe.
Buffalo were also relatively scarce with a few batchelor herds spotted on the H1-3 and H1-4 although there was enough evidence around to suggest there was a large herd/s in the vicinity.
A black mamba was seen crossing the road on the S86. That is one intimidating snake. On the same road also spotted 2 young elephant bulls sparring who then decided it would be fun to chase my car, but it was nothing more than a mock charge with a lot of trumpeting.
Enough for now and I will submit pictures shortly.
Regards to everyone and cant wait for my next trip at the end of Jan 2008.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
This was one of 3 males spotted on the H1-4 at 5hoo. I was pleased with the result as the light was very weak and camera speed extremely slow. camera hand held- no bean bag or tripod.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Timbo. This jackal was spotted on the S90 and stood still long enough for me to get one snap.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks again Timbo. This was part of a hyena clan taken on the H1-4.(a very productive road I found).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I estimated that there were at least 60 elephant in this herd captured at the Ngotso dam. this is without doubt the largest herd I have seen in Kruger.(there were a few stragglers outside this photo).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This rhino was taken on the S126 just b4 the Welverdiend waterhole. She had a calf with her but could not get a decent picture of her.
To the moderator sorry I have posted these photos individually. Please incorporate into main post. Many thanks and if you like I can submit a few more photos tomorrow.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I am submiiting a few more photos. This impala suckling her young seen on the S100.

We must not forget the small creatures that can make fascinating photo subjects.

This hippo photo was taken on the low level bridge on the Olifants river.

This was a small herd of sable on the S36 and were extremely skittish but managed to get a couple of photos between the dense bush.

Taken on the S41. proud francolin shouting the odds.

Chewing the cud on the S90.

Last edited by adw on Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]