Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Operation HoneyBadger and Cheetah Catcher... (Pre-Trip Rep)
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Right, in exactly 2 weeks and for the 3rd time in the last 24 months, my SO and I are coming home and going out to the KNP for 2 weeks

Arrive on the 22nd November - fly to Phalaborwa - Letaba (2n), Satara (4n), Tamboti (3n), LSabie (2n) and Biy (1n)

I have had great lion/leopard sightings etc on recent trips, but I REALLY want to photograph a Cheetah and a Honeybadger. That is going to be my objective. Anyone want to help with areas/loops etc where they have had good sightings, very welcome

If anyone is around the above camps on those dates, be great to meet up.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank again to all for tips.

Leave on Wednesday and just doing our 'final' checks on packing etc.

It MOUTH WATERING, when you read everyone else's report and you remember your previous trips. I can almost taste the amstel as I sit outside my bungalow in Satara and watch the sunset 8)

I can almost feel the excitement as you exit the camp at 4:30 or so in the morning - WHAT AM I GOING TO SEE TODAY.....

I can almost taste the food from the braai - winter in the UK at the moment and FREEZING COLD.

Delboysafa will be home soon :clap: :dance:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just at an internet cafe in Hoedspruit and a quick update.

Been here a week and WOW. Couple of slow days and weather is not great at all, but overcast weather has been great for photography and already 50GB of pics taken with a week to go...

Half of my Operation is complete. Saw a cheetah with an impala kill on the H7 to Orpen yesterday. Pulled her kill into the bush, so not too great an opp for pics, but a great experience.

Then this morning. WOW - Came out of Tamboti at 5am and within 10 minutes down the H7 to Satara came across two big male lions on the side of the road. Spend a good 20 mins with them as little traffic in the park. Just when you thought it couldn't get better, within 10km down the H7 still, 7 lioness's on a recent zebra kill. Watched them for 2 hours and there was only 1 or 2 cars that stopped in that whole time. Fantastic. Took around 500 pics.... opps.

Anyway, just a quick stop. Oh and Leopard in a morning drive at Satara yesterday....

Report and pics to follow in a week or so.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ok, back from S.A. this morning and in work, no sleep, but the sacrifice I had to make to get the most out of my holiday.

Regrettably, honey badger didn't make an appearance, but thanks Chris for asking the guy to sort it out :lol: One cheetah, but was still fantastic. Had an amazing trip and now I have over 70GB of photo's to go through. Looking forward to posting the report with some pics.

A couple of quick things though from the trip

A) SPEEDING - A very, very common occurance and the worst offenders - SANPARKS Staff.

B) People getting out of their cars. When I was at the cheetah kill sighting, there were two Germans leaning out of the windows, almost fully. At the same sighting a red citi golf pulled up next to me and the guy got out of his car, closed his door and stood in front of my car to try and take a picture of the cheetah. When I told him to get back into his car, lets just saw, he had a few 'choice' words for me.

The above are common concerns on the forum. A sanparks vehicle came at a speed which I estimate would've been around 70km per hour on one of the talamati dirt roads and almost came straight into us. He just laughed.

I think there is an education factor required from Kruger with regards to international tourists where english - oral or written - is not their strongest i.e. they may not understand the boards etc. I think they need to look at where their tourists are coming from and have a quick 'orientation' before they enter the park i.e. do's and donts.

Anyway, looking forward to get started on the report and sharing some of our experiences with you all.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]