Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

They're about the size of a tortoise without a shell - not that I've ever seen one! :lol:
Meg always thought it was genuine, but I promise you it's not.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My favourite ......T-bone streak on the braai with mealie and potato (cottage cheese on potato). Nothing can beat that. We always have a big, flash breakfast the day we are leaving with eggs, bacon, left over steak, sausage, onion, tomato, banana and toast. For the other days, rusks and coffee. Plenty of "snacks" for the road and generally something from one of the camps for lunch. We also like to have minute steaks on a roll for lunch at the picnic spots.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ok, heres our menu:(Not all items every day)

Early Breakfast:
Coffee/Tea/Fruit Juice
Rusks
Cereal
Jungle Oats (Oats-so-Easy, just add boiling water)
Fruit (Ruby Grapefruit/Banana/Pear/Naartjies)

Mid-Morning: (while in car)
Fruit, sparkling water etc..

Lunch: Any combination of the following...
Braai;
Chicken Kebabs/Fillet/T-Bone usually with Boerewors (All meat vacum packed and brought from JHB) well marinaded of course! With cucumber, tomato, gerkins, baked potato and "Peppadews" (they make the best snack with cottage cheese!)

Dinner:
Braai;
Similar to above but usually a lighter choice and depends on what was had for lunch. Sometimes a Pasta Dish like Pumpkin Panzerotti or Pene Arabiata (these are also had for Lunch). Giant Mushrooms with olive oil and other seasoning on the braai are delicious!

Before-Bed:

Tea/ Hot Chocolate/ Decaf Coffee with Rusks/Biscuits.

We only eat at the resturant if we are at the camp for only one night. Snacks in the car are usually, bottled water, sweets, fruit, biltong and dried wors depending on time of day.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:20 pm 

Coffee first thing, then biscuits as we are driving around for the early morning.

Back to camp for breakfast consisting of toasted sandwich and coffee and orange juice.

Then nuts, dried fruit, crisps or crackers and water while we are driving around.

Lunch time snack of chips and a Windhoek and a coke.

Then cheese and crackers for him and biltong for me as we're driving back to camp.

Then snacks in the evening.

And Mopani is a la carte and Lower Sabie is buffet
SO is a veggie so there's not much choice for him in the camp restaurants. Plus, in Mopani he found a chicken bone in his meal and at Lower Sabie there were long-tailed critters running all over the place, which kind of put us off.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:22 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

gwendolen wrote:
@ W@H: do you have any favourite recipes?

Definitely ...

1. Take one bag of Charcoal & one packet of Blitz (firelighters).
2. Put 4 small pieces of Blitz on Braai and light.
3. Add charcoal over blitz ..
4. Wash hands ...
5. Pour Amarula on Ice or Open can of Castle.
6. Sit next to fire enjoying Amarula or Castle (nicer if you have someone to chat all kinds of rubbish with).
7. Pour another Amarula on Ice or open another can of Castle.
8. Feel fire every now and again (if you can hold hand 10cm away from fire for 10 seconds then fine .. if you can hold it for longer ... add more charcoal and pour another Amarula on Ice or open another can of Castle)
9. By this time you would probably require the need to attend the loo's ...
10. Wash hands again...
11. Fetch nice 2 - 3 cm thick rump steak that has been marinated over night from fridge..
12. Get another Amarula on Ice or open another can of Castle.
13. Put steak on fire and sizzle for 5 minutes on each side.
14. Take steak of braai and swallow last bit of Amarula on Ice or Castle.
15. Dish up the meat, Garlic Rolls and Potato Salad. (Remember to use paper plates for ease of cleaning).
16. After supper ... get another Amarula (hic!) on ISCHE aor Can ofadsf CAsTLE!#$ (hic!)
17. Sit outshide ands enjoys nigSGH...nightssssssounds ....
18. Plan to arrives ats STIL? LITS when ranger puts in trees...
19. Go to bed ..

:lol: :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:04 am 

I never eat breakfast at home but I'm always starving early in the morning in the park, must be the fresh air :D
We usually eat left-over braai vleis from the previous evening, we always cook far too much. Fruit and cookies (Eat-sum-mores yummy) are great too.
Late morning, brunchtime, we stop at a picnic spot and hire a skottel and cook bacon, sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes and eggs, just a light brekkie you understand, usually washed down with the first Castle of the day :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:38 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

This is what we did when we did not have a freezer:
Packed the meat(vacuum packed) and butter in a big cooler box and topped it up with lots of ice, draped a big old towel over the cooler box and kept it wet, plus topped up with ice in cooler box :wink: That is how we kept our meat ect. cool for days :!:

Deposit paid for Kruger 2015

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:47 pm 

We also take everything with us - all drinks included. The last couple of trips we have found that tinned baby potatoes (picked that idea up from this forum) and tinned curry mixed veg go very well with any meal so I always take a good few tins of those with.

Something else that always goes down well; take a thinly sliced loaf of bread, mix marmite and butter together until it looks dark brownish, spread the mix on the bread liberally, cut into fingers and dry it out in the oven. Yum!

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We also take everything and only buy ice and ice cream from the shop. edit: SO has reminded me that we sometimes have a space constraint so we also buy wood or charcoal at the shop if we didn't fit it in in JHB.

Here's another list of tips - boil potatoes on stove in communal kitchen and put a tin of creamed mushrooms or a tin of asparagras on top, as a side dish. Wrap onions in foil and put into coals of braai - lovely and sweet when done.

With the kids they sometimes don't want to eat at night so I take along 2 minute noodles and with the hot water from boiler in camp mix it up so that they have something to eat before passing out.

When buying your tinned stuff. Buy the smaller cans so that you are sure to finish it at each meal, as you have nowhere to store leftovers.

Freeze your meat, butter and cheese well in advance - this way it stays cold in the cooler for ages. We did this for years before buying a camp fridge.

Take the dry ingredients for "stokbrood" (stick bread) in a ziplock bag. When ready to use it add your milk or water and other wet ingrediants. Kneed dough in bag for mess free and delicious dinner side dish. Works just as well with pot bread. Don't forget to add packet soup to give bread all sorts of different flavours.

Buy long life milk in 500ml and 1L boxes that way you can open the box that suites your needs. I see you also get them in 175ml also.

Instead of butter you can buy a string of foil sachets of that stork culinaise stuff - it doesn't need to be refridgerated. Even the bottles work well if on ice.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

macho mouse wrote:
Believe it or not, left over putu does not taste too bad the next morning with milk and sugar.

30 Million South Africans will agree with you as they eat it every morning ;-)

I love making pap in Kruger, and I always take my potjie with. If you aren't moving around too much you don't need to freeze your meat at all. Just keep it chilled. You can also ask your butcher to vacuum pack it. Meat that's never been frozen tastes better. Besides there are wonderful butcheries in the surrounding towns in Kruger.

I buy my rump at least a week before I go to Kruger, Have it Vacuum packed (Each vacuum pack containing enough meat for one meal), I don't freeze it at all and braai it when I am ready. It matures quite nicely.

I never buy wood at the camp shops, they overcharge. The shops outside the park I find better pricing as well as dryer wood. I have a fire going from sunset till I retire so I do quite a bit of wood during my stay.

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:57 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
A true Chakalaka sauce needs to be prepared in true reverence.
1. A few fresh ingriedents
2. Good company
3. Any wine in the closet
SUNSET
Serious:
If you have a tin of good tomato stuff, freshly cut onion, mint or rosemary, fresh basil, a bit of good chutney, lots of fresh tomatoes and onions, soya, garlic and chillie.
My secret is, use the grounding in fresh stuff, (fresh tomato and onion ect) then compramise.
I never notice the initial ingrediants, go with the flow :lol:
Tinned anything tastes like Ritz if the original ingrediants are genuine.
Chutney is a good additive, as is anything containing Worchestire sauce.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:52 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sorry to be so sacreligious, but my chakalaka consists of sauteed onions, carrot and white cabbage, with baked beans and plenty of chilli sauce. I always describe it to friends as a "hot coleslaw with baked beans, but spicy and better tasting than it sounds!" Everybody who has tried it has loved it. I tried the tinned version fairly recently for the first time and found it to be ok, but not as good as the homemade stuff.

On the subject of wood: I would rather pay more for mine in the park shops rather than buy it on the side of the road outside the park where you do not know if it has come from a sustainable source. SA Hard wood is infinitely superior to charcoal for cooking on. There is no substitute! We got some good stuff in a Spar in Messina - R7 a bag, big enough to cook for 6 and last the rest of the evening (and made coals enough to start a fire the next morning). That was for Mapungubwe, where there are no shops. In KNP I am happy to pay for wood at R12 a bag, as the smallest bag of cheap charcoal in the UK costs at least 3x that and taints your food with a horrible flavour.

Last trip, we visited hubby's sister and family in Polokwane. Vleislapa, a butcher in the town who supply KNP with pre-packed biltong (not the best, so don't be put off) do fantastic braai meats, either "au naturel" or pre-marinaded. So good, we'll definitely make a stop there on our way to the Park in future.

Just introduced a kiwi friend to the tinned potatoes cooked in foil on a braai tonight, with great acclaim!. They've become a staple since I first read about them on the forum. Can't remember who suggested it, but there is nothing more delish!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

On here we discussed "braai broodjies" (Barbequed Sarmies)

Next time you do them use cheese and fresh Avo. Tried it this weekend and it was the bomb.

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

With see-through thin rashes of bacon and a few drops of Tabasco?? :shock: :P

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:38 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Breafast - rusks, digestive biscuits or my homemade oat crunchies.

Lunch - chips, peanuts or biltong for starters and then cold meat, tuna or sardines with rolls. Rolls are always a problem in KNP, because the shops sell things more suitable for building houses. Sometimes we will have tinned guavas or fresh fruit instead.

Supper - We braai probably every 2nd night.

Here are some of our more interesting suppers, often with little meat as we eat far too much when we braai.

Chorizo with onions, tomatoes, garlic, chillies, tinned chickpeas and fresh coriander.

Penne rigate (or any other pasta) with tomatoes, chillies, garlic, anchovies and capers.

Chili-con-carne (mince, kidney beans, tinned tomatoes, chilli, garlic, herbs) on rice

Red thai chicken curry with jasmine rice

Bean Soup (onions, garlic, chilli (or cayenne pepper), tinned kidney beans, tinned tomatoes, potatoes, stock cube, herbs) - cooked nice and thick - you need a potato masher for this - only suitable for winter camping

Potatoes boiled (for speed) then fried with onion, chorizo (or bacon), fresh veggies (or canned whole corn, if nothing else), garlic, herbs.

Yes, we do eat a lot of onion, chillies and garlic

And then there is rice surprise. My standard ingredients are onions fried in oil, cooked rice, tinned whole corn, tinned tuna and aromat. But, it can be anything, bacon, chicken, chorizo, left over braai, maybe tomatoes, maybe Nando's spice, maybe herbs. frozen veg, anything left in the fridge really, that is the surprise :!:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next