Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Adw trip report - Kruger August 2007
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
My wife and I spent 4 nights at Crocodile Bridge (18 to 21 August). We were schedule to spend a further 5 nights at Satara but due to work commitments we had to cancel Satara :( . WE were also very excited about the trip as we were trying out our new caravan for the first time.) CB was as usual very pleasant. The camp was quiet, neighbours friendly and everthinh was spotless. The only problem was the queue to get in. it seems to get longer longer as time goes by!
As is my norm we left camp every morning as the gate opened.
We tried various routes including the S25,S26,H5,H4-2 and S28. I must say the most productive route was the S28 followed by the H4-2.(I even sneaked a trip on the s139 which at midday only produced elephant sightings- something I always enjoy is watching a herd of elephant.)
We were surprised by the number of square lipped rhino that we spotted particularly on the S28. On the 2nd morning we travelled to Tshokwane via the S28 and H10 and came across 19 rhinos (2on H4-2 just outside camp ,11 at various points on the S28 and 6 on the H10.) I have never seen so many rhino and some of them were really close. i.e. 1 metre away. There was a rhino cow with twins which was exceptional for a number of reasons. First time I have seen a rhino with twins but this was the first time I have heard rhinos communicating with each other in the wild. The best way I can describe the sound is something similar to whales calling. The mother was not shy at all and seemed fairly comfortable with my vehicles presence.
We also experienced a male rhino 'talking' to us by breathing in a loud manner as he wanted to cross the road right in front of us.
Also on the S28 we were the first to spot a female leopard in a tree right next to the road near the S137 intersection.(2 cars which were coming in the opposite direction from Lower Sabie drove right past her. We stayed for about an hour by which time the S28 resembled Rivonia road!!! She stayed in this tree for most of the day as when we came back several hours later she was still resting in the tree. Later I was told by my neighbour in CB that late in the afternoon she came down and disappeared into the long grass.
I also experienced another first for me. I have many photos of animals, birds, insects, snakes, plants and landscapes taken in the park. This time as I crossed the Sabie river I managed to photograph a large tiger fish which I estimated to be between 2 to 3 kgs. this is my first photo of a fish in Kruger.
Immediately after crossing the Sabie river we came across a battle hardened male lion, blind in one eye, but still filled us with awe as he strode right passed our car and disappeared into the bush. If we had been one minute earlier or later we would not have seen him.(a clear case of right time right place).
Again I must say that although this trip was too short for my liking, every trip to Kruger is pleasureable and I cannot wait for my next trip due in November 07 :D This time it will be Satara which is still my favourite camp with CB and LS joint second.
I will post pictures of my trip later in the evening.
regards to all

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hey ADW..... I think we saw the same leopard, about 3-4 km further on from the S137 turn off..... On the 27th though. She stayed in the tree for ages, right next to the road.......... She had made a kill two days beforehand...........

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
Hi again everyone. Timbo that is the same leopard. i am trying to post the photos now.Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Here is the leopard Timbo and I sawImage

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

here are 2 more photos. excuse the fish the quality is not that good but hey in the murky waters..........Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Herewith photo of battle hardened warrior.Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. In response to Richprins question the photo of the Tiger fish was taken on the bridge near Lower Sabie camp. My camera is a Nikon D200 with a 300mm zoom lens. I will post some more photos this evening.
regards to all.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Here are some more photos. this secretary bird was taken in strong wind near Tshokwane on the H10. his head feathers would not stay up.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This different pose of a kudu bull was also taken on the H10 near Tshokwane.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This is adifferent shot of the bull shown earlier. I dont think I have ever been closer to a rhino.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This was one of several ostriches on the S28 taken early in the morning.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This was taken on the LS bridge.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]