Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:53 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I am not sure whether my lion is the same as Kwang and Kalahari. Let's leave my lion out of the equation and follow Kwang and Kalahari instead...has anybody else got any other photos. What about Jan and Freek any photos out there or sightings???

By the way Kalahari Mick I was also in Kgalagadi during April 2005 I also saw 2 lions . I don't want to say too much though because I am busy on the story of the Kalalahri Girls !!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:08 pm 

Hi jb72
I have looked at other photos that I took that are not very good but I think maybe that these are the same two. I am going to look through the video as well to see what i can come up with. You seemed to have got better photos of the one with raggedy ears whereas I seemed to have faired better with his brother. As I mentioned earlier I saw these two the day before as well and then I studied them more with the bins because they were far away...I distinctly remember the raggedy ears! Methinks they are the same two...but not sure what the people in the know would say!
Thanks for photos....waiting in anticipation for the other photos

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:39 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I can most certainally say that the first two unidentified lions photos are of bush. Still busy looking at baptist.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:29 pm 

Die leeumannetjie wat u noord van Nossob gesien het is Freek.Een van Ousus se eerste seuns wat sy grootgemaak het.Die ander een is Jan-die kleiner een van die twee broers.Hulle gebied het gestrek van Cubitje Quab tot Kousant.Die eerste foto is van die dier se regter kant.Die dot,spasie,dot van die boonste ry snorre met die oor met geen kepies is Freek.Jan se regteroor het paar kepies asook linker oor.
Freek is gewoonlik die een wat eerste inisiatief neem,behalwe skynbaar by paring toe ek Jan gekry het wat paar en vir Freek op 'n afstand hou.
Hulle word binnekort 7jr oud en dit kan verwag word dat hulle paaie gaan skei.
April 2004 het Ousus hulle in hul geboorte gebied gelos en vertrek na 'n ander ngebied in Botswana.Sy is sedertdien wat ek van weet twee keer gesien volgens fotos van toeriste.Die laaste Okt 2006 in die duine Botswanakant op pad na Mabuasehube.
Daar is ook 'n paar mannetjies wat saam is suid van Nossob en word dikwels verwar met F&J Piet Heymans

Post subject: Lion Identification, Nossob North
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:32 pm 

The lion Mannie/Kwang and his partner have finally been identified. They are Freek and Jan. I have been in touch with Piet Heymans, and he has positively identified Mannie/Kwang as Freek. Piet has had problems logging into to the forum, but I am sure that when he can he will throw more light on the id's

The two males I saw south of Nossob and thought were Freek and Jan are definately not, as they stay in the north. So unless they have already been named, they can be.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:48 pm 

The male on the cover of the travelguide was Kwang.Taken 1998.Hy is die pa van Ousus en haar halfbroer David wat die pa is van Freek en Jan.Piet Heymans

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:10 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Lets see what the best translations is. I kept typing Dutch!
The male lion you have seen north of Nossob is called Freek. One of Ousus first succesfully raised sons. The other one is Jan, the smaller one of the brothers.. Their territory goes from Cubitje Quab to Kousant. The first photo is of his right side. The dot, space, dot of the top row of whiskers and the ear without notches in it is Freek. Jan's left and right ear have notches. Freek is the one taking the initiative, except at mating, where Jan keeps Freek at a distance.
They will soon be seven years old and you can expect the pair to split.
In april 2004 Ousus left their territory and moved into Botswana. As far as I know she's been seen twice and photographed by tourists. The last time was october 2006 in the Botswanaside of the dunes on a road near Mabuasehube.
There is also a couple of male lions south of Nossob, this couple is often confused with Freek and Jan.

Second post:
The male on the cover of the travelguide was Kwang. Taken 1998. He is the father of Ousus and her halfbrother David, which is the father of Freek and Jan.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:05 pm 

I have just had a quick look in my book on Ousus and in October 1993 Ousus was almost a year old. At a brief look I was unable to find any exact dates......now I think I shall retire for the night and reread my book ...Ousus..Lady of the Kalahari
Thank you to everybody that has contributed to this thread

Last edited by Caracal on Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Kgalagadi lion identification: Nossob South
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:27 pm 

These are the pics of the lion I saw In April 05, South of Maries Draai. I thought of calling him Rooikop.

Last edited by Dotty on Fri May 22, 2009 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
pics side by side

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:54 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi

I was browsing about here, and saw Arks& michele's comments regarding Ousus (RIP). The last sighting of her, by someone who's opinion I'd trust, was in late 2005, and already showing the characteristic hairloss of old lions. If she survived the winter of 2006, she didn't do so by much. As for Jan& Freek; the can be spotted anywhere between Rooikop and Bedinkt, but they prefer the northern parts.
You might spot some little fellows in Marie's; when i left there in July, we had a severely pregnant lioness sauntering about. As for the two males to be seen in the area between Marie's and Kaspersdraai... new guys/old guys; the disappeared off towards the central dunes in June'06, and we thought them gone for good (which was nice, as we had loads of cheetahs in Marie's), but they returned in Jan'07... Now, they and the cheetahs practice timesharing in the loop, but the cheetahs got the silly weekend... There's so many dead eland in the veldt, and the wildebeest are even more water dependant than usual due to the lack of tsamas, so the lions are all over the place. (you don't perhaps want some of them?? The more i can get rid of, the better the chances of the wild dogs becoming more common visitors!)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:04 pm 

Could someone please let me know where I can get a copy of
Ousus..Lady of the Kalahari ?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:24 pm 

I bought mine at the shop at Twee Rivieren...not sure whether I have seen it in our local bookstores. If you cannot find it locally a phone call to TR may help. Maybe they can post you one C.O.D. Or try Kalahari.net.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:45 pm 

Hi Michele

Although I joined nearly a year ago ( just to download a map ) I never bothered reading what was going on here......well in the last 3 days I got totally hooked. I'm also one of those stupid people that hardly ever takes photos......well I have changed my mind completely now and will buy myself a decent camera for Christmas and start snapping on my next trip.

So here are a few pics that I took with my "mik en druk" on my last trip, don't laugh......I can also kick myself now as I saw 35-40 Lions in 2 weeks all over the show. The last one is just for the fun should you decide to start identifying them by their teeth.

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi lions: Ousus
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:25 am 

Finally after 3 years, I brought a copy at Nossob on my recent trip and my sister got her copy at Twee Riveren. :D :dance:

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi lions: Ousus
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We also bought a copy at Nossob on our latest trip and best of all, Oom Piet Heymans was at Nossob at the time and wrote in my book and signed it! :dance:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next