Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Fieldguide: Flora & Fauna
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:34 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This is particularly aimed at non-South Africans and South Africans just getting into nature.

If you only want to buy one reference book for everything, buy The WILDLIFE of Southern Africa edited by Vincent Caruthers. ISBN: 1868724514

This book has a wealth of information on mammals, birds, reptiles, insects etc. etc. as well as info on grasses, wild flowers and trees. It is an excellent start.

If you really get interested in any section, as we did with birds, you will grow out of this book and have to buy a more specific one. The advantage of this book is that it helps you find out what you are interested in.

It still travels with us, and although we never consult it for birds, we still use it, mainly for reptiles and amphibians.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:26 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I am going to add another book to that list.
I have just received a copy "Southern Africa" from the Traveller's Wildlife guides.
The author's are B> Branch, C Stuart, T. Stuart and W. Tarboten. ISBN 10: 1919930671
pp 487

It carries a wealth of information from ecology to animal/bird/reptile species. There are lovely illustrations. Again, a one stop book for those who might need a general guide which encompasses almost everything.

Post subject: complete book: animals, birds and plants (mostly typical)
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:51 pm 

Hi, I know there is a section of recomended books, but since I haven't seen any that has everything I want, I dare to ask.

I am trying to find a complete book for a present for my husband. One with not only mamals, also insects, and specially birds, and maybe the most common plants. (i wonder if it exists...)

A complete one, with pictures and big enought, we don't want to carry it with us, so how big it is, or how heavy isn't a problem...we want it once we are back in Barcelona so we can take a look and examine the pictures we took and compare it to find the animals (I think what I don't want is called a field book...).

As we are travelling to Botswana and Namibia also, we were also interested on not only southafrican specific animals (if there is a book like KrueguerXXX no)

I wonder if it exists something like this... That would be a very nice present for my husband, I know he would like it...

If this doesn't exist, what about the nicest-more complete, you know?? Thanks!

Post subject: complete guide
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:59 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi

There is book on the market. I have the Afrikaans version called " Die Natuurlewe Van Suider Afrika" do not know the name of the English version. It covers Namibia, Botswana, Mozambique, Swaziland, Lesotho and South Africa.

The book describe ,invertebrates, spiders, insects, fresh water fiches, frogs, reptiles, birds, grasses, filed flowers, and trees. The publisher's are Sruick Uitgewers. See their web. www.struik.co.za

Hope this helps you.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:58 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I recently purchased a book, "Traveller's Wildlife Guides, Southern Africa", by B. Branch, C. Stuart, T. Stuart, and W. Tarboton. pp487. Publised 2007.
ISBN-10: 1919930671
ISBN-13: 9781919930671
It includes all of Southern Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Swaziland, Lesotho and Moz. It is printed by Double Story books.

Upside is, it has a comprehensive section on ecology and lots and lots of illustrations. It covers birds, mammals, snakes and amphibians well, but unfortunately not insects and trees.
I also found the cross referencing difficult when needing it in a hurry, but I think that with more use that should become easier.

The book has been compiled by experts in their fields, so there is a very helpful section on ecology and behaviour.

Post subject: Re: complete guide
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:59 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Here's the book Pieter referred to in English, and another I found. But both are fieldguides. Is it a coffee table book you are looking for or a book with pictures and descriptions?

Title: The Wildlife of Southern Africa
Author: Vincent Carruthers
Binding: Paperback
Pages: 310
Language: English
ISBN: 9781868724512
Published: 2001-01-01

Title: Sasol First Field Guide to Wildlife of Southern Africa
Author: Sean Fraser
ISBN: 9781868721214
Language:English
Format: 165mm x 110mm
Binding:Paperback
Pages: 56
Published:1998-08-01
Imprint: Struik

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:54 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Pirata,
Maybe think about getting the Sasol guide series.
They are easy to use, informative and have lovely illustrations.
The series contains books on birds, trees, mammals, snakes and amphibians.
As I mentioned in my post earlier, the book I mentioned has some excellent information, but it is not user friendly if you are in a hurry.
The other problem is that a single book can only print the most common animals/birds/snakes, so a lot of knowledge is lost.