Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:35 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Olifantsriver, August 2006

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:04 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Had only one "flash" of a sighting with the help of Frank. This one is AMAZING.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:20 pm 

Olifants River, August 2006. Does it look familiar Gwen?
And here's one of the proud parents:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:24 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
I got this off another forum.

Quote:
A recent survey in the Pafuri section of the Kruger National Park for ... Pel’s fishing owl, has had disappointing results. Only four birds were found during the three-day survey... that took place following the Luvuvhu River from Crook’s Corner to the Mutale Bend. This is the first survey of the river since the 2000 floods... The first surveys of the Pel’s fishing owl population in this area were carried out in the early 1990s when 13 pairs of birds were typically found, along with signs of others. With the new survey, only four birds were sighted, but signs of a further six birds were seen. ...another survey is planned for May 2007, when the birds are likely to be nesting.

The spokes person (and apparent survey leader) was Pafuri section ranger Sandra Basson.

Would one expect such variations in numbers as bad luck on the surveyor's part or precise numbers that should cause some real alarm?

:shock: 4/26 equates to 15 percent of the typical population... :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:06 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Pel's can actually be seen @ some other spots not just on the Olifants river. They have been noted on the Croc river, S3 Sabie river road, Sabie river High water bridge just of the H4-1, Levubu river, Pafuri camp, Pafuri Picnic Spot, Near Crooks Corner, Near Phalaborwa and most lately even @ Sunset dam.

Exact positions can unfortunately not be given for the fear of eggwhites going and harrassing these birds off from their breeding spots. For instance the Olifants river have lost 4 breeding pairs in quick succession. Same is happening to the Pafuri birds.

If you really want some information then PM me. I have seen 4 Pel's through out Kruger.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:54 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Better late than NEVER...The Pel's Survey draft report

Sorry about the delay ;-) Just pm or mail me-items on my to do list can sometimes do with a nudge :redface:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:52 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Paints a dim picture for Pel's I am afraid.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:00 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
Concurrent with the Olifants River survey a survey in the Pafuri section of the Kruger National Park for Pel’s fishing owl, has also had disappointing results posted. Only four birds were found during the three-day survey that took place following the Luvuvhu River from Crook’s Corner to the Mutale Bend. This is compared to the results of the first survey of the Pel’s fishing owl population in this area that were carried out in the early 1990s when 13 pairs of birds were found, along with signs of others. With the new survey, only four birds were sighted, but signs of a further six birds were seen.

Look at the results of the two surveys put together and a GRIM view emerges.

WTM, we better organise that Pel's Fishing Owl trip in a heck of a hurry!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My mission to find Pel's fishing owl did not work out as planned. Reason? Did not find it :(
But as said before:
BAD NEWS: No Pel's fishing owl found
GOOD NEWS: We will have to go back to find it! :D

We spoke to Frank at Pafuri and unfortunately they have not seen the Pel's for a while. We searched every tree diligently from the bridge, to Crooks corner and back...just for in case...Frank could show us some other specials...but not Pel's.

Well, many other new ones made up for it.....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:39 pm 

TG once told me that he saw Pel's in the late afternoon from the viewing platform in Olifants. Guess where I'll be spending late afternoons in 40 days time :lol:

Must also try and do the river walk at Olifants

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:34 pm 

It is very true that the parks Fishing Owls are in a bit of a crisis situation, the problem is that nobody seems too sure about the reason for this and also, sadly, nobody seems too intent on trying to do anything about this.
I have 2 theories about the reason for their apparent demise, firstly it is possible that over the last 10 or so years we have had slightly more rainfall than usual(although this is starting to change again) and that this makes fishing more difficult for these birds and so affects the breeding cycle. If you think about any birds such as strorks or herons that feed on fish, lower water levels mean more prey and easier fishing, this is just an idea but is probably not the main problem as the population should be balancing out again now and it quite obviously is not.
I feel the biggest threat is in fact the new lodge up at Pafuri, it would be easy to underestimate the impact vehivles driving along here each day have on these birds when roosting, and also all the tourists going on walks who want to see the bird. On the last birding day the only place we actually heard the birds calling the entire night was from Crook's corner and they were in fact calling downstream in Mozambique.

Just to finish off, I remember about ten years ago when I went the last 2 times on the Nyalaland trail, we recorded 3 Pell's at one spot, and on the next trail 4, also at one place, as many as have now been recorded along the entire Luvuvhu, very worrying indeed.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:05 pm 

I am involved with a private reserve just up stream from KNP on the Olifants. We have noted that the Pels that used to occur on our stretch of river has not been seen for a while.

We have a strong suspicion that it is because of elephant impact on the riverine forest. Though we do not have the capability to monitor it scientifically, we think that the big trees and second order bush is being cleared, changing the environment, making it less suitable to Pels.

Just a theory ...
:?

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:09 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Not particularly good news.

Quote:
Last week the annual Pels survey was carried out along the banks of the Olifants river in Kruger along a stretch of 90km from close to Phalaborwa gate to just past Olifants camp. Fifteen volunteers were divided into 2 groups each surveying about 45km during 4 days and doing counts of a number
of species including Owls, Storks, Vultures, Eagles, smaller raptors, Egrets, Lapwings and Hippo pods.
Although the river levels were flowing at optimal levels, there was some concern as to the condition of the river after recent reports of a number of dead crocodiles that were found. Sadly there still seems to be a large amount of siltation and effluent from mines further upstream running through this pristine area and only one fish was seen breaking the surface during
the 4 days, while no smaller fish were seen in the shallows.
Bird counts were significantly lower than during previous years with ony 2 egrets, 3 pairs of Pels, less than 10 pairs of fish eagles, and very few storks being seen along the 90km. Some great sightings though were 28 hooded vultures, 6 cape and 40 whitebacked vultures at a hippo carcass, as well as a Giant Kingfisher hovering and diving like a Pied Kingfisher behind 3 Cape Clawless Otters. Also a Whitebacked Nightheron was flushed. The nights were also interesting with hyaena, leopard and hippo never far away. Thanks to EWT for organising a great walk and being proactive to gather data along the river.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:48 pm 
Below is a link to a beautiful photo of a Pel's. The photographer mentions that they got this photo by playing the sound of the owl over an ipod and thus attracting the bird. Anybody else seen this birds by playing its sound?
Pel's Fishing Owl
Is the playing of bird sounds to attract birds often used in the birding community, or is it frowned upon?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:43 pm 

Jumbo wrote:
Is the playing of bird sounds to attract birds often used in the birding community, or is it frowned upon?

There was a poll about this on a bird site but cannot remember where, maybe Simply Birding.

It is one of those things that people have different views on: some use it a lot others are of the opinion it should never be used and others use it on occasion.

I've used my PDA to play a call with the intention to call up a bird only on a hand full of occasions in the past. I agree with those who say it should be kept to the bare minimum.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next