Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mapoisa goes forth : southern Kruger, 13 - 20 April 2007
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:44 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

With work complete, and the laptop and other work related goodies relegated to the deepest darkest corners of the vehicle- I waltzed into Ngwenya Lodge for a weeks stay to find the old man already resting on the patio, cold one in hand, and bless him, icy beers in the fridge and a fine cigar for me to enjoy.

So, I sat, armed with a cold beer and a cigar, and watched the sun set over the Crocodile River while dinner sizzled on the braai.

Isn’t it amazing how the world always seems a happier place when you wake up to re-visit a close old friend? Well- here are the photographs of just such a visit- 13th to 20th April 2007- my apologies for the delay.

I stayed at Ngwenya Lodge for the week and entered through Crocodile Bridge on every day except for the Tuesday.

Saturday 14 April 2007

These lions were in the area around the Gomondwane Dam and the southern entrance to the S28 Nhlowa road for the entire duration of my stay and although the sightings of them were not always good, I did see them most days. This photo taken first thing in the morning was the only decent one I was able to take (and rather fortunate that I took my opportunity as in the next frame the entire bonnet of someone else’s vehicle is in the way :evil: ).

A good looking male Waterbuck in his best pose

These cheetah were also always in the area, most often a couple of km’s down the S25- this photo was taken a couple of hundred meters down the S25. This was the only time that I would see these ones, but they were seen every day (and, most days by my neighbors at Ngwenya. :mrgreen: )

Sunday 15 April 2007

Some happy Fish Eagles photographed at Sunset dam

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:18 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

This was the sighting of the trip for me, as I do not often see cheetah. This male was walking down the road (H4-2, about 10kms south of Lower Sabie) when we spotted him (wasn’t actually all that hard- the entourage of cars gave him away). He walked into the bush next to us, gave a tree a thorough examination before making sure that everyone knew it was his, and then caught a quick cat nap in the shade. After a short while, he sat up and gave a couple of “chirps”- the invitation for another 2 cheetah to join him. Unfortunately, they moved very quickly into the bush after that.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:13 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Elsa wrote:
sure we must have seen the same group of Cheetah on the southern end of the S28, a family of 4? :D

Yup, that group were actually seen quite often as most people that we spoke to had seen them. There was apparently quite a sighting the day before (Thursday) where they were chased off of a kill by a lion, who was in turn chased off by a clan of hyena's.
Loams wrote:
Is that your whole report?? :(

:roll: More to follow!:D
Many thanks for the kind comments all! 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:26 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Continued...

Unfortunately, my father had to leave- he had some urgent work to attend too, and so, our numbers were whittled down to one. I don’t think that I would go alone by choice- I had to nurse an incredibly stiff neck after most days of looking out of both sides of the vehicle!

Monday 16 April 2007

Day one on my ace! 8)

This was a lovely sighting, although very brief. This lion was “hot-footing” it to the rest of his pride and from there they would move deeper into the bush. It did seem like they had a kill up there, as there was a whole lot of growling a moment later followed by some hasty flapping of wings as a heap of vultures evacuated the area. :lol:

This kingfisher kept me entertained (and incredibly frustrated) for ages as he would perch right next to the road as you can see, and then “bomb” into the water. He would emerge a moment later with a little fish, and return to “a” perch (never the same one) to proudly show off his fish, until I was just about to “fire” before swallowing it. I really did try hard to get one of him in flight- but the second one was the best that I could manage. :evil:

A moz spitting cobra crosses the road at Sunset dam

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:27 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Many thanks all! I also love that photo!

Continued...

This is the most comatose leopard that I have ever seen! Not even a delivery van, making a noise that could possibly wake the dead, gave him a reason to do anything more strenuous than move his head. Must have had a tough night…
This was on the H4-2 just short of the Nwatimhiri causeway.

Just a little goodbye for the day!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:22 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Continued...

Wednesday 18 April 2007

This hyena actually gave me a tremendous feeling of satisfaction, as I had just been almost driven off the road by someone overtaking me :evil: . As soon as my “overtaker” disappeared over the rise, this handsome fella came out for some early morning sun. (S25) 8)

This is actually a crash of 7 rhino seen on the Mpondo dam road. I had stopped the vehicle miles back- cause sometimes, as you know, rhino tend to overreact. I took this photo and then started the car to move forward. BANG- 7 rhino, overreacting as usual, thundered away in the bush (still wondering why its called a crash?) at top speed. :roll:

This photo was taken at the Biyamiti causeway. I was so busy trying to get a photo of him, that I didn’t actually notice the head of a large crocodile floating right next to the wall- I nearly jumped out the passenger door I got such a fright. :redface: He was literally about a meter, perhaps a meter and a half away. My reaction had spoilt it all, the heron flew away and the croc thrashed the water in its attempt to get away- soaking me through the open window as well!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:38 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:lol: BB- I have no idea! I was too busy trying to regain my composure! :redface: Probably ROFLIAO at me- like the people in the car behind me. :roll: I'm glad that Tawny can relate!

Many thanks Katy- I thought you would like the hyena pics

Continued…

Herd of buffalo on the Biyamiti loop. I really like both of these photos, although the first one is not great, I can just imagine what the mother is thinking!

Klipspringer silhouette

This was my highlight of the day- Nyala on the H4-2. He was so shy and once he had tiptoed to the edge of the road his courage returned and he sprinted over the road and into the bushes!

Bourchell’s in the evening light

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:30 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Continued...

Thursday 19 April

Last day in the park :cry:

This group of hyenas were a lot of fun. There were actually 4 of them, but the other 2 were on a serious mission down the road. These 2 kept on running into the bush and then coming back out, giggling at each other the whole time. I followed them for ages!

Immature Gymnogene kindly identified by WTM, JVR and Bucky. This is right outside of LS, the bird was having a terrific go and getting something out of the tree- which took ages. He did get his reward though, and flew off with a mouse in his talons.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:33 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

One of the many vultures feeding on a carcass on the Salitjie road

I have to be honest here and say that I got thoroughly peeved with all the traffic on the main roads and disappeared onto one of the little sand roads along the H4-2. Driving slowly and carefully- I finally found my own lions. :thumbs_up: All sleeping in the shade and protected from the madness that is the H4-2 highway.

After a short while, the man himself strolled over to join his ladies in the shade.

I hereby submit my “best bum shot” photo. I had already met his comatose friend, this was to be the most inconsiderate LIT ever. The sun is setting almost directly behind him, and he is sitting with his behind to the road- I mean really!

He did turn around eventually though.

And that chaps- is that! :D

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]