Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:45 pm 

Sorry - slightly off the topic, but I was once again shocked at the inconsideration of a few of the people in the park.
On one occasion, at 6am, as we were all leaving PKop, there was a big pride of lions in the road right outside the gate.
We were about 5th in line.
Everyone pulled up at an angle down either side of the road, thus allowing a 'view' down the centre for everyone.
The front vehicles had already started shifting off, so that everyone could get a turn - we could not believe it when a car came cruising up the middle and stopped right in front of the lions, blocking everyone's view. Naturally, the lions got up and moved off.
We were so angry, because while we had had a good look at them, a lot of the cars behind us hadn't yet had their turn.
Why is it that some people are so selfish???
On another occasion, we were the first to leave Lower Sabie in the morning - we hadn't been driving for more than 15 min when another car came whizzing along at quite a pace in the opposite direction (could only have been staff at that time of the morning) - as my husband pointed out, anything that had been on the road before, would definitely have been gone thereafter...
On a brighter note - if it hadn't been for a few other motorists, we would never have seen either the leopard or the cheetah that were kindly pointed out to us, so I guess it all balances out in the end.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:08 am 

Could someone clarify the etiquette around breaking the shape of your vehicle?
Is it OK to have windows down so you can hear?
If so, how far is considered acceptable?
Is it OK to hang long lenses / binoculars out of the gap?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:03 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi derbyjon
Having ur windows down is not breaking the shape of your vehicle, having binocs or camera out of the window is not a problem.
The problem comes in when you hang halfway out of your car, sit on the windowsill etc..
Just remember to close the windows when you approach baboons...I have read somewhere on one of these threads about a baboon jumping into a car and grab something from the backseat, so be careful.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:06 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Have a look at the pamphlet you get when you enter at the gate.
There is a section on the rules and regulations that deals with protruding from vehicles, etc.
There is also a section that gives hints on road etiquette in the park.
It also has essential phone numbers of gates, camps and emergency services.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:20 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Hi Derbyjon & welcome to the forum.
Please drive with your windows down. That way you will experience sounds, smell and the like. Just be watchful around baboons and monkeys that tend to use your vehilce as a jungle jim.
Hearing the live call of the fish eagle is something every visitor should hear, among other sounds. Just use common sense and avoid bravado. Cameras and elbows jut out all the time.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:29 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
There is nothing radical.

Just like

Don't get out of your car unless it is a demarcated area.
Don't litter.
Don't speed.
Don't be late at the gates.
Don't get too close to the big & hairy, they might rearrange your car exterior
Don't fart in the car - optional :twisted:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Read your permits folks!

It states that to get the best view when you're first on the scene, park on the side of the road where the subject is, so that new arrivals won't
(a) drive in front of you if sauntering past, or
(b) park in front of you and spoil your spot.
It also says not to deliberately obstruct someone else, so play it both ways. But bottom line, RHS parking is permitted.

Oh, and even 40 is too fast, even on the tar.
We were doing 50 (i.e. bang on the limit) from Pkop to the turnoff to Metsel dam to see lion and it felt crazy fast, with the bush so close.
And we've seen ellie, buff and rhino dash out of thick bush on this trip, that would give you no chance whatsoever, doing 50 even.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:50 am 

Meandering Mouse wrote:
I have found ranger staff fantastic. Cannot always say the same for "contract" vehicles.

The large "Contract" vehicles (trucks) are very rude. They will block the road to give their clients the best view and not move. On the other hand, park staff and private vehicles were amazing, they would take a spot for a few minutes and moving for others to get the experience as well.

Wish KNP would limit or not allow the contract vehicles.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have just been reading through this thread and can see several very legitimate complaints about inconsiderate behaviour which are not really covered in the Park Rules.
My pet hate, as a photographer, is those people who cannot wait until you have taken your picture before driving past, often at speed.
I was once on the (LHS of) S100, focusing on an African Hawk Eagle which was trying to extract something from under the bark of a dead tree right by the road on the RHS.
It was early morning, the light was perfect,the angle was perfect and I was about to get the picture of a lifetime (Agfa photographic awards maybe???? :D :D ) when this idiot roared past me on the RHS of the road, right up to the tree, totally blocking my view and scaring away the AHE. (This is why I am not famous . . . :lol: ).Stories aside, has anyone ever compiled a set of courtesy rules?
And if so, why are they not displayed clearly at every gate, picnic site and in every camp?
And if not - could this be done?
It could be started on this forum with suggestions and edited by SANParks.

Last edited by salamanda on Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:37 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Know the feeling. Had the same thing happened to me by numerous 4X4 on the gravel.

Would be nice to have a set of rules but think it boils down to
common courtesy.
But on the other hand, many vehicles waited for me while my lens was sticking out of the vehicle, till i gave the signal al clear 8)

Dont worry, i also missed out being the best Shell Wildlife Photographer of the year.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I agree, many people are wonderful and I am always grateful for this and try to do the same. I just think that courtesy is often lacking because of ignorance of the consequences of one's actions, rather as my behaviour might be considered rude in another country because I was unaware of the right way to do things there. Bush courtesy is very specific really.

Post subject: Bad behaviour
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:11 pm 

Recently we went to Kruger and going out at Crocodile bridge from Lower Sabie we came to this huge road block of cars.
We could not see anything because the huge big cars and ours a small BMW.
So for us not seeing anything we tried to get through this huge pile of cars.
People thought we were pushing in to see what they cant see.
As for almost getting through this pile of cars a taxi but it had stickers on from one sort or other backpackers company, the driver which had tourist in started swearing at us.
Of course the young crowd inside the taxi laughed.
I don't think his company would be proud to know that that is his behaviour inside the park and I think for tourism it is bad to show that kind of behaviour.
Me and partner were so angry and amazed of this guy that I thought after the effect, I should have taken pictures of this taxi with the logo of the company and forwarded this with a letter.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:56 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

One thing that peeves me off is people who do not respect your sighting, especially birds.
I was trying to ID a smallish owl on the H1-1 near Transport Dam and a guy in a camper came up behind me. I am sure he could see that I was looking at the owl which was in a tree right next to the road but without a moment's hesitation he passed between me and the owl scaring it off.
I needed a few seconds to focus and get a good view but he could not wait.
This often also happens when looking at the smaller animals, some people do not care anything for these and just speed by, ruining the sighting.

If I come up to a vehicle I always try to ascertain what the occupants are looking at and then try to approach slowly, especially if I cannot see what it is they are looking at.

Please respect the sightings of other people, even if you are not interested!

Post subject: Road etiquette code
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:22 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
We have been talking about road etiquette.
I have been thinking about it and offer a suggestion, the end result of which, could possibly be put into the Kruger permit, if Di & admin agree.

Here is a kickoff. Please improve it if I have missed anything out.

1. If I see cars stopped in the distance, I usually speed up to the speed limit until I am 100 to 75 metres away.
The reason for doing this instead of dribbling in for a km or so, is that I have just missed leopard sightings by dribbling in.
2. I plan my approach while still a way off.
I look to see what direction the occupants are looking, and approach the car/s on the off side if possible, that is the side they are not looking at.
3. After approaching very slowly now, if I cannot see what they are looking at, I ask politely, and manoeuvre the car to position for a sighting slowly, without disturbing the others.
If I am not interested, I drive away slowly.
If I cannot go offside, I wait for their photos to be taken and then inch past in order not to disturb the sighting and park as well as I can out of their line of vision.
This is the theory, that I use most of the time, but sometimes the situation does not lend itself to it, but the uppermost thought, is to try not to disturb the sighting, and get a good view without hassling others.
I also believe that sightings should not be hogged, like lions that are not moving, and once I have enjoyed it, I move on for others to enjoy it also.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Well said BB. If I can add one point:
We should also turn the engines off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next