Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: April in Kgalagadi : by jb72 (2007)
Unread postPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:38 pm 

Hi everybody,

Just wanted to share a couple of pics from our recent trip. Please remember that I'm not much of a photographer, so these are really just to show anybody who has not been to Kgalagadi what it's all about.

First sighting as we left Twee Rivieren for the first time:

Our first kill for the trip:

Loved these guys - there were so many of them:

The leopard outside Twee Rivieren that we've heard so much about:

Our second kill for the trip (just too late to witness actuall kill, but got to see him eat his heart out !!!!) This was on the Aoab river road near Rooibrak:

Mating pair at Sitszas:

Ring 'o ring 'o rosies..... ?????

AWC at Craig Lockhardt:

Another AWC ??? Not sure about this one, cause it seemed very yellow in colour. If someone could confirm I would appreciate it. I know it's not the best picture (bit far away), but any help will do.

Sleepy head at Kamqua picnic spot:

Brown snake Eagle ???? I'm not too good at the birds....yet....

I guess that's enough for now. Got some more up the sleeve if anyone is interested !

cheers
jean

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:12 pm 

Some more photos from our recent trip.

Loads of these guys around too, but each one is as beautiful as the last:

The hot kalahari sun takes it toll:

This guy was napping in the tree in front of our chalet in Nossob. I was busy taking some pics of him when a car drove by, and he slowly opened one eye to take a look who was making all the racket:

The lions on Marie se draai on the 30th of April. I discribed in another thread how bad some people's behaviour was at this sighting. Absolutely terrible.

That's it for now. Will post some more later. Incl. an awesome sunset drive with Jannie from Twee Rivieren.

cheers
jean

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:01 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Oh wow...what awesome sightings....oh I can't wait for my trip.
Jean, I read a bit in my mammal books and it is written that the wild cats in drier regions can have more of a yellow tinge to them....so maybe it is a AWC. The only other small cat that you get in KTP is the black - footed also know as the small spotted wildcat and and it doesn't look anything like that. :huh:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:26 am 

Thanks for all the comments guys ! I'm quite happy with the fact that it was a "yellow AWC". Don't get to see many of them anyway.....

On the 1st of May we did a wonderful sunset drive with Jannie as our guide. As reported elsewhere on this forum there was a lion kill approx. 10km out of Twee Rivieren. It was just too far off the road for decent pics, and even through the binocs it was hard to see the lioness with her 3 cubs. Little did we know that Jannie would come to the rescue. As it turns out there is a jeep track on the Botswana side of the road, and as luck would have it, it ran right next to the lions, and their wildebeest dinner. What an absoluut bargain !!!!

Here are some of the pics taken at the kill. Some of them aren't the best qaulity, but still makes for good viewing !!!:

After watching the lions for a good while, we drove about 300m or so from the spot and stopped for a smoke break. While we were standing listening to all Jannie's wonderfull stories he suddenly stared in the direction of the lions, and calmly said: "Everyone back in the truck - now". Well you can imagine the speed at which that happened !!! As it turned out this fellow was walking accross the road behind us. Jannie said that he just saw the movement and figured the lioness might be coming for a quick snack.....

Once again the photo is not the best, but it was a lovely sighting none the less. What a great drive with a great guide. KTP is surely going to miss Mr Kriel greatly !!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:56 am 

Hi guys, thanks again for the kind comments.

Some more pics from our recent trip:

We found these fellows near Cheleka waterhole:

This guy was hiding in a tree near Twee Rivieren:

The best part about the Kalahari is undoubtably the sunsets:

And when the one goes down, the other comes up:

Only one more day left after that. Will share some photos from the last day later.

cheers
jean

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]