Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: THE PARADISE - APRIL 2007
Unread postPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:53 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
Prelude

I'm back (only half)
I have spend 12 beautiful days in the park and I went home sad, but very, very enchanted :D :D :D
Is not so easy if one can't control English or Afrikaner ! Nobody get in touch with me, except the guardian and the people who stay at Grootkolk, and one people who tell me the tip of leopard on a tree.
Also during 2 nightS drive (only at TR) I had have to ask several time to know with animal we are seeing … everybody speak Afrikaner ! for example I understand "eagle", so I look on the top of the tree and it was a giant eagle OWL so I haven't look at the right place…
The murderous sentence was : could you please speak a little bit slowly…
Brief, I was really very alone and all I find was by myself (except leopard and mother leopard – give thanks to Suricate and Jannie).
My rapport will be the best I can and I will try to finish before end of May.

Last edited by anne-marie on Wed May 09, 2007 6:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:34 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Day 1 - 18.4.07 TR (afternoon)

I'm going only until Kij-Kij because I stop every 10 m. and I have seen "only" this few animals and birds.
A jackal with something in the mouth (like a white chicken) and an eagle trying to rob her prey, ostrich in the sand (hatch eggs ?) a baby springbok and a batteleur.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:49 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Day 2 - 19.4.07 TR

I decide to go to picnic site (Dikbaards kolk) and return via Kamqua – Auchterloni.
I have seen "my" first Oryx, jackal, secretary bird eating something, a double rainbow and during the night drive "the" giant eagle owl, a puff adder, a protèle (aardwolf), a brown hyena and another owl.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:37 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Day 3 - 20.4.07 TR to Kieliekrankie

Now, I know what I would like a 4x4… This morning I went to "Rooi Puts Camp" "only 4x4 road" and arrived on the top, I stop to see the view ! STUPID BLONDE (with the years) .
Impossible to get out, I was crash !!!!
Well, one can't go out of the car and in any case I can't push 2000/3000 kg, put some branches under the wheels, any tree big enough.
I smoke a cigarette, put on my personal computer… and remember one can do "balance". I put the 4x4 and try… in 4 times, fortunately I was go out. Maybe I could still over there…
Before this adventure (near Leewdril) I have seen 2 honey badger with a jackal, playing or fighting and an eagle ready for come into play.
I have seen also 2 differents eagles on the same tree, a batteleur and ? , an ostrich "sand bathing", a secretary bird, a pale chanting goshawk ready for strike a pose (autograph for tomorrow) and a very big leopard tortoise (?) (50-60 cm height).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:22 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Day 4 - 21.4.07 Kieliekrankie to Urikaruus (morning)

This morning I have seen "only" some antelopes.

(afternoon)
After let my baggage and visit the "riverside cabin" I went to Dalkeith.
A very, very big thunderstorm explode with a lot of rain, I notice in the fog, some giraffes running to look for a shelter. I follow them and find them close together, side beside.
After the rain the road was flooding and they come to drink. What a spectacle !
Then some blue wildebeests jogging.
When I return to "my" Riverside cabin"… a puff adder was in the entrance of the last cabin. The guardian trying to expulse, but it was a very big snake and his hook (? crochet) was to small and the adder take refuge in a bush… not so far…
And finaly the sunset, marvelous African sunset.

Last edited by anne-marie on Sat May 05, 2007 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:06 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Day 5 - 22.4.07 Urikaruus

This morning I have to go do Mata Mata for petrol. In the picnic spot I take a pic of a lizard.
I know all the picnic spot. I love this places. It's the moment to meet some people. I never let my car if nobody was there.
When I come back, fortunately I have seen something moving in a bush… How fabulous, an African wild cat. I stay there for about 30 min. He walk around and quiet, lay down just beside me, incredible. I didn't dare start my engine ... I would't awake him.
Then, I have seen far off a big herd -18- of giraffes walking to the south. I decide to go to the water hole, not so far, (Craig lockart) and waiting for. Slowly they come, all around me. I was surrounded by giraffes, males, females and young, and only for me !
After, I have seen another eagles, mongooses, kori bustard and springbok fighting.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:48 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Day 6 - 23.4.07 Urikaruss – Nossob

Early in the morning I take the big dunes road until picnic site (Dirkbaards kolk).
Sudden, something shining along the road. A black mamba , immediately it disappear into a hole. I don't think it was their… I'm waiting ready to shoot when get out ! It is get out… through another hole… and continue her way.
I notice ants or termites do a hard work during the night… and we break all this buildings.
I stop at picnic site where a mongoose court me… really a big pics sitting.
I have seen also some ostrich with young, steenbok
In the night I went to the hire.

Image "my" car
Image a wing, which bird ?

Ooops the pictures don't follows, sorry.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:06 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Day 7 - 24.4.07 Nossob – Grootkolk

Just before leaving Nossob, I have seen this calao (hornbill…) who stay on the tree during the night just over "my" car !!! I have to clean windows and doors …
On the road I cross this car, it's seems to be a hide to keep a watch around .
Then I crossed this "sand take away" (We have same for the snow in Europe !).
Then I met some blue wildebeest playing and running and this blesbok (topi) injured on the face and who walk with some problems.
Arriving at Grootkolk around 4-5 h. just to see this kudu.
Then I enjoy the one hour spot at the water hole, just behind me, where I have seen (the last night) 2 oryx and a hyena chased by one oryx and who run in just beside my "desert cabin" (I was the first on the left side). How exiting !
During the night we have a big thunderstorm and have to close the windows in a hurry, all was wet through the mosquito-net and the temperature drop at 13 ° c.. Cool night and very cool wake up.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:34 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Day 8 - 25.4.07 Grootkolk

I stay at the camp a little late than usual. Wildebeest are coming for drinking and kudu too and a sparrow on my balcony.
I would like to go to the end of the end and after a little bit to the south. At Union End I have seen suricates, sharing the holes of ground squirrels and vulture in the sky.
At the picnic site a very nice man say to me : There is a leopard on a tree near Kanna Guas pan, YOU MUST GOING. Certainly than I will go, rather 2x than only one… I run … what a spectacle. I stay with the leopard during 5 hours. 5-6 cars come and at least I was alone… I sleep close to.
When I arrived he sleep on the right side, then jump to the left side, where dead jackal was and eat a little bit, drop his meat.
In the same time a jackal (alive) come and rob a piece of her "pal".
The leopard go down and recover the rest and return disguising himself.
I hope it was thirsty … Yes it was… jump on the ground, drink a little bit and return for camouflage.
While the leopard make her "cinema", some springboks try to come drinking, a bateleur come also.
I'm just arrived at the camp for the sun set.
What a day !

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:22 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Day 9 - 26.4.07 Grootkolk

Early, this morning I decide to go to Nossob (for petrol) and come back, but I didn't see anything very interesting, except for lion tracks and maybe a fire near Mata Mata and 2 vultures.
Another big rain during this night. My fire was threaten with water, I cover then with a big saucepan and a cover and I have eaten grilled potato, ham into a curlpaper…

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:05 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Day 10 - 27.4.07 Grootkolk – Nossob

Not in a hurry I prepare my baggage. I was in the box of the car… and Gert a very nice guys (the best guardian) told me they are lions at the water hole ! I jump outside (ho my rheumatism !) let the car open.. and run (in my head, I know one haven't to run with the big five) to my balcony, catch my camera… and the festival begin.
3 lioness and 1 cub are drinking and slowly come through the camp, very near (20 m. maximum from me).
Then come some wildebeest .
Look around to see if I can continue to fill up the car. Ready to go, I let my friend Gert, and what a surprise the lioness was on the road just behind the camp, playing with the cub and maybe one lioness ready for a hunt. Afterwards they go away through the rare grass. It was fabulous. A very great morning. Thanks.
I have seen again some suricates, ostrich in line (à la queue leu leu), oryx and jackal together, martial eagle, baby ostrich (only one ?) a steenbok jumping fust in front of me and some beautiful flowers.

Image lioness track
Image lioness, baby and tail

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:41 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Day 11 - 28.4.07 Nossob – TR

A long way to TR, so I start early in the morning … and miracle !!! (the last big cat I wish)
2 cheetahs cross the road and lie down over there for a moment and continue their way… far away. I think (maybe) it was two brothers, after a good food.
Further, young ostrich, 2 oryx fighting , the issue of the rain, the mother leopard on the cliff.
During the night drive we have seen cheetah with a prey, a owl, a bat eared fox, a spring hare and a caracal, but far away and to dark to take a picture.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:31 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Day 12 - 29.4.07 TR …...Last morning….

After finish my baggage, very sad… I decide to do the "little revolution" (petite boucle) to have some beautiful pictures of the red dunes.
The road was very new… the "chasse-neige" was ahead of me… and stupefaction I find a second African wild cat. What a delight. It was hunting… but a big car cross me, stop for one second and say : "How it is a hare" !!!!! Everywhere in the world there are some very stupid people, and continue his way. Of course the cat stop hunting and luckily stay a moment laying down, then he return chasing… behind a bush.

I take the last one (there are some nicer but don't possible to stop) for the well building home... with electricity and telephone :evil:

Image black headed herons
Image kori bustard fliying
Image ... and landing

and THE car. Everybody know this car through the park :wink:

Last edited by anne-marie on Tue May 08, 2007 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:43 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Epilog

It was a marvellous trip.
I'm ready to go another time, alone… but end of September I will be retired… I don't know, for the moment If I could or not… wait and see. ( I know.... I can rob my bank !!!)
My preference go to Grootkolk :D , then Urikaruss :) , Kieliekrankie :P , TR :o and Nossob :? (nevertheless it situated, in the centre of the park)
(A bad point for Nossob, in the second chalet, there is any table and chairs inside and smell odd)
I think a sedan could be ok, except for the road Nossob to Grootlkolk , a little bit sunken.

I met Jannie and Suricates the last day at TR and meet another forumite, John (forget yellow ribbon) at Dikkbaards kolk.

I deplore for lack of morning walk (TR+Nossob) and night drive (Nossob ) HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !!!

Could you do same trip in Kruger ? alone ?, rent a car near Kruger entrance (not at J'burg) ?
I know Kruger, but with driver-guide (and radio to find animals), maybee it will better for me ?)

Thanks wonderful Kgalagadi
and all the forumites who help me !
Anne-Marie

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:23 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Aquilla wrote:

Please anne-marie, give us more.....d'accord?

The best mon amis......

Oui d'accord, mon ami
I have just finished to enter a lot of pictures on my blog :

http://safrounet.spaces.msn.com/

clic on the left up corner (just beside KGALAGADI...) you can choose the speed
Anne-Marie

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next