Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 7
 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: MGoddard's 340 Days in Kruger. April '09
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:42 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi All, my decision has been made. Wanted to do it all my life, but could never afford it....now decided when i turn ......which is in 4 years time will go and visit the Kruger for 1 year...I will only need huts, can use the ablutions, as they are so clean, got a new car, so no problems there, question is do I spend one month per camp, or do I move around the Kruger like two weeks per camp :?: Where do I start and where do I finish :?: does anyone know if I can get special rates if I stay for this long :?:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:52 pm 

remember to book early 8)

dude, a whole year? Have you looked if you can get a job in the park or do some volunteer work? If you're gonna be there a year better make yourself useful no?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:59 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Yes, I had a look at volunteer work, but decided want to be on my own, do my own thing...just relax and see it all :!: Not sure how booking will work for a year, but starting now, still 4 years to work out a route....working on my SO, want to go sooner but have to save, and he has to fly a lot, to pay for trip like this for me, (dont get me wrong, I also work towards this dream)..As said all I need is hut, would have considered tent but not too sure if I'll manage, being F, also a bit scared of creepy crawleys, what would you do if you had one year to go there :?:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I would seriously look at getting a camper van for the trip then. This would allow you to camp (reduce costs) but then also sit at water holes and places of interest for many many hours in a day, with a high degree of comfort. You can make lunches, have a snooze, walk around inside etc.
I reckon that would give you the best value for money for your year. Also, its harder for the creepies to climb into a camper vs the tent if that concerns you.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:53 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

I would go for a VW bus or such, heavily edited, like a good kitchen (fridge!) on board, and a caravan you can just leave behind you when you don't change camp.
Large windows with build-in ballheads for the cameras, a little server (laptop?) for dumping the photos and probably something for electricity, like a generator or better yet, solar cells.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Campervan or VW Bus sounds good, but if you cannot afford it, I would also buy a very good tent. You will always find a place for it and you will be much more independent, than with hut booking. If you like to stay in a hut for some time, you can go and ask if there is space. Beeing independent without time schedule would be the most important for me.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You all giving me good ideas, I do have a tent and do go camping with my SO, have all the equipment needed but would not like to sleep in tent by myself...my SO just bought me a new dcab bakkie so the question of hiring a campervan is totaly out...I had look on website today and see most camps have 1 bedroom huts...so that still my first choice..only R120 pnight...if i cut down on beer intake and sit at dams instead of driving (using petrol) might be able to convice SO to stay longer...thought of starting at top (North) and slowly work my way down, spending most time (9mnths) in South as still my fav place..

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

In the old days we were never allowed to spend more than 5 days in any one camp - wonder if this rule still applies and how it would affect your plans!

03.10.14 - 10.10.14 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:06 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Penny,

The rule doesn't apply anymore. Lots of forumites have stayed longer than a week in a camp. Which is really lovely, because some camps have so much to offer. The Rhino trail at Berg en Dal for instance is a really rewarding walk. I think it's great to spend a bit more time in the camps and relax between drives.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:57 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi All
Thanks so much for your input. I do understand it is a long time away, and it is a long trip. But just imagine all the arrangements I have to make...including all that you suggested, from camping, sleeping in the car, hiring a different vehicle, which camps to stay in and for how long, doing voluntary service, writing a book, keeping all the formumites informed, and also how to keep in contact with my SO who has to stay behind to work and make sure I can fullfill this dream...Once again keep the suggestions coming as they help in making the above decisions.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:17 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I would get a caravan with aircon fitted.
You can then camp in comfort , you have your clothes in cupboards , decent bed, food , cutlery , fridge etc , so you have a home for that time period , I would go nuts living in a hut for that long , all the packing and unpacking to change camps etc .

Also only about 30 percent of the camps have cheap accomodation , so at R400 per night in some of the camps that could get way expensive .
Caravans hold good resale price , so you can always sell it afterwards to .

If I did it , I would move about , not slowly top to bottom , so that I get to see the same camps at diff seasons .
Maybe 2 weeks a camp which would give you about 40 plus weeks worth of options , as you move down stay at every alternate camp , and the the ones you missed on the way back up again .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:13 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Mgoddard, absolutely :mrgreen: but personally would go with a campervan or RV with all the mod cons and no packing and unpacking. Wonderful to sit at waterholes with all the home comforts (especially the loo! :wink: ) have lunch, a snooze, whatever. A dream holiday. I too would travel to see all the park in the different seasons. We have done this and it is amazing just how diffrent places can look.
Anyway you go you're going to have a fantastic time! Enjoy! :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:18 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

My hassle with a camper for that long period , is that you have to come back after every drive and set your things up again , level the van , put out the awning etc .
This is why I say a caravan , park it , set up camp , and then you are free to drive about in your vehicle and come back to a set up camp .

Off course the best is to have both :mrgreen: .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:27 pm 

Just a thought...... from May 2006 a four year timetable and one year in the park means you will be here during the FIFA 2010 world cup, so advance booking will be crucial.... Anyway, enjoy and let us all know here you will be that we can join up and have a sundowner.. :lotsocoffee:

Post subject: Record Attempt
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:14 pm 
Sorry to P on your F.

This is not a good idea in my humble opinion.

Start with a month max, and see how that went.

You run the risk of losing the magic, depending on the psychological release a wilderness experience gives you escaping from the desert in Arabia.

Some people dream about living in the Bush permanently, but few can.

I don't know how long you and SO have been together, but the "semi-bush", which is Kruger, can be a double edged sword after the initial high has worn off...

Nice idea, but "baby steps".

Sorry to be blunt, take it or leave it!

If not, Good Luck!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next