Skip to Content

Golden Gate: ADVICE

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele
Markus4

Unread postby Markus4 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:14 pm

Hi all.

I'm planning to visit Golden Gate in October and like the look of the family log cottages at Highlands Mountain Retreat. Having never been to Golden Gate before, I was just wondering how easy access to these cottages is (hopefully one doesn't need a 4x4 to reach them?) and how far away the cottages are from Glen Reenen Rest Camp.

Also, how demanding are the nature trails? I'll be bringing my in-laws, who are in their early 70s. They're very fit and love their walks, but aren't hardcore hikers.

Many thanks,
Markus

Jaco V
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Jaco V » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:02 pm

Hi Johan316,

I dont have a map or know where you can reference one. There are at least 2 or 3 loops going from the main road that passes through GGNP.

I'll check for a map and let you know.
Jakes

Johan316

I'll check for a map and let you know.

Unread postby Johan316 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:11 pm

Thanks Jacov,
Also can you tell me if the 4x4 routes are long and very taxing, or just nice and easy.

Jakkalsbessie
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Route Map for Golden Gate ?

Unread postby Jakkalsbessie » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:57 am

Johan316 wrote:Hi All,
Can anybody inform me if there is a map, that shows the roads or loops in Golden Gate, or is it just one road with no side branches.

Hi Johan,

There is one main road (not nice at all because the people speed like crazy and you can not really drive slow or stop :evil: ) and then 2 one way loops, Blesbok (going past Langtoon dam and Oribi (where the Vulture restaurant is situated and also going to Highlands Mountain retreat).
Then there is also some roads in the Qwa-qwa part of the park. The one seems like a 4x4 track, tried to drive it the past weekend but turned around quite early due to the condition :roll:

There is a map for GG, showing all the roads and the hiking trails. Unfortunately there is not any info on it about the Qwa-qwa part, and impossible to find any info about it :x

Johann will post the map some time this week :wink: :whistle:
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
Please help save Mapungubwe NP - Facebook page

Johann
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Golden Gate NP Map

Unread postby Johann » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:06 am

Last edited by Elsa on Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pic resized.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.
Albert Einstein

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Johann
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Johann » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:07 am

I have posted the map here

Could one of the mods maybe make it a sticky please?
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.
Albert Einstein

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Johan316

Golden Gate NP Map

Unread postby Johan316 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:02 pm

Thank You very much Johann, this helps alot.

Can someone also tell me if the vultures get fed daily, and if it is in the morning or evening?

Josh. W

Unread postby Josh. W » Sat May 05, 2007 8:59 pm

Just a few pics from our hike to the Top of Angel's Wing, on a farm bordering Golden Gate, literally!

ImageLarge View from Hiking Hut, Angel's Wing is in the farthest background

ImageLarge At the top, 2 705m above sea level :P

7 April 2007
Last edited by Elsa on Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pics resized.
the Woosh...
Letaba & Mopani, 27-30 Sep!!

GVI Golden Gate

Vulture Restaurant - GGHNP

Unread postby GVI Golden Gate » Wed May 09, 2007 8:10 am

Good Morning all,
just thought I would tell you about the nice sightings I had yesterday while visiting our vulture restaurant here at GGHNP. It seems that someone struck an eland with thier car and the eland died so the nature conservation team put a new carcass out for the enjoyment and pleasure of the vultures!!

After sitting at the restaurant for only about 20 minutes I saw two bearded vultures circling overhead...quite magnificent birds and I have been lucky enough to see quite a few here at the park. They didn't land but right after a Cape Vulture came in for a tasty snack. After a stand off with a pied crow the cape went and got some nice eland meat before barely making it to the cliff's edge and flying away. Also spotted a black-backed jackal running around in the distance and a secretary bird on the horizon!! Good day at Vulture Retaurant!!

Cheers,
Ben
GVI Volunteer
Golden Gate Highlands

Arnold

Gate Times at GGHNP

Unread postby Arnold » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:10 pm

On our trip to Kruger in the coming holiday, we overnight in Golden Gate. As there is a public road through the park I assume there are no specific times that gates to the park/camp close and open? I just want to make 100% sure to plan times of departure and don't want to go on assumption. Any help will be appreciated 8)

GVI Golden Gate

GGHNP Gate Times

Unread postby GVI Golden Gate » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:32 am

Hey Arnold,
You are basically correct. The road that runs through GGHNP is a public road so it does not have opening/closing times. Reception at Glen Reenen however closes at 6pm where you check in if you are staying at Glen Reenen or the other rest camps besides the hotel. Hope you have a good overight here at GGHNP, it is getting a bit chilly, bring some warm clothes!!

Cheers,
Ben
GVI Volunteer

Golden Gate Highlands

GVI Golden Gate

White Winter in GGHNP

Unread postby GVI Golden Gate » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:05 am

Hey all,
I am pleased to tell you that winter has now officially arrived here in GGHNP.
Two days ago we got our first major snowfall of the winter season coating the sandstone hills and grasslands with a nice white snow! :dance:
It has been very cold but nonetheless the animals are still out and have come down from the mountains in search of food in the cold months.
The hiking trails are absolutely gorgeous whilst covered in snow and hopefully we will be getting some more soon!
Cheers,
Ben
GVI Volunteer

Golden Gate Highlands

GVI Golden Gate

Unread postby GVI Golden Gate » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:56 am

It was so nice waking up to snow the other day...had a nice snow ball fight with some of the staff and in clarens everyone had built snowmen...unfortunately it is almost all melted now :cry: but we are hoping to get some more this weekend!!

Cheers
GVI Volunteer

Golden Gate Highlands

Jakkalsbessie

Unread postby Jakkalsbessie » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:41 am

Wim van Helden wrote:We will be staying end September at the mountain retreat
, but a 4*4 is not (yet) planned. Is a 4*4 necessary? If yes, would a Nissan X-Trail be sufficient?

Hi Wim,

Unfortunately i can not help you with advice on the route planning and hikes hopefully someone else can.

We stayed in the Mountain Retreat in April and used a normal Nissan X-Trail, so yes they will be sufficient and no 4x4 needed.
Although it is quite steep, the road is paved so it is more than manageable.
I really loved the MR and would reccommend it any day... you will have an awesome stay 8)

It is also very secluded and far away from the busy main road, so luckily no problems with all the noise from the speeding traffic.

Enjoy your stay :mrgreen:
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
Please help save Mapungubwe NP - Facebook page

lobby

Route to GGNP

Unread postby lobby » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:03 pm

Hello, am heading to GG at the end of Sept, staying in Mountain Retreat :D

Can you please let me know which is the best route to get there from Joburg, the N1 or the N3 via Harrismith?

Thanks
Lobby

Return to “Northern Parks”