Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Lake Panic Nursery
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:59 pm 
After going to Kruger for many years, we for the first time visited the nursery at Lake Panic. I was pleasantly surprised.
We were looking to buy some indigenous plant and the nursery had almost everything you can think of.
The service was excellent. There was an Honorary Ranger on duty and madalla (old man) with a fast knowledge of flora.
What surprised me the most, were the prices. The last time we lived in a “civilized" environment, was 2 years ago in Pretoria. If I compare the prices of Lake Panic with what I paid for plant at the Pretoria nurseries two years ago, Lake Panic is an absolute bargain.
I can truly recommend this nursery.

Due to the low prices we went crazy, and when we left our car resembled a jungle on wheels. :roll:

Post subject: Re: Lake Panic Nursery
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:30 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Jumbo wrote:
Due to the low prices we went crazy, and when we left our car resembled a jungle on wheels. :roll:

This tends to happen to me too! Every visit!

Do not go to Kruger without visiting the Nursery!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:06 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I visited for the first time in early December - wow! I was so blown away that I bought a Leadwood tree! (please understand that I live in England at the moment, so the tree is currently living with friends in Jo'burg - it will be planted on our plot at Marloth Park when we go back next time).

There are also some interesting display on tree parasites (ask to see the larva of the beastie that bored the holes in the piece of wood just outside the office (Carpenter something-or-other, could have been Ant, but I think the Ant larvae are a bit smaller than this scary sluggie thing!)

I agree, excellent value. Paid R25 for my leadwood tree, which already stands about 3 ft tall. Taller, older trees, which you might struggle to get in the back of a station wagon were R60.

If you visit, remember to keep the receipt. You will probably be asked for it when you leave the park to prove that you didn't dig up the tree yourself.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:25 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I agree , the place is a deffinate bargain , I have bought for instance a kei apple that was a quarter of the price of a similar sized 1 in jhb.
There plants are also healthy .

Also very nice shady spots to take a little picninc lunch with .
My wife just rolls her eyes when she sees me going in that direction , normally on the morning of our departure if in the south , as she knows we will also be driving home with a mini jungle in the car , which is the only drawback to buying there - how to get it all home :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:04 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I made my 1st visit there last December .

I remember the article in Custos when it was opened to the public (about 1980) , but never made the effort before .

Stunning place - words fail one.

Post subject: The Skukuza Nursery
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:43 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Anyone know if Impala lily will grow in the Cape, specifically on the Cape Flats, and if they are allowed to fly on planes?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:39 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
NEELSVER wrote:
I was really surprised after a long days journey - it took me literally hours from Croc bridge to Skukuza, about a few things namely the nursery. We had an unbelievable entry to the nursary - we have walked all along the boardwalk and were amazed by the wetlands project. After the stroll through the wetlands scenery we entered the nursery where were immediately assisted by a very friendly and helpfull lady. It was on the 5th of April. She immediately made excuse for the absence of the the rest of the personnel who, also humanly, took leave for the long weekend.

THANK YOU :D Madam for staying behind just for incase a holiday-maker goes by and give us the oportunity to look in.
:!:

I have bought 2 plants - Impala and Kudu lily - and I hope it grows so I can attach some KNP memories to it.

When I arrived back at Croc bridge I told my wife now let us see what is going to happen. I am not going to declare the plants which I am taking out unless I am asked about it.

I am driving an SUV which were dusty and full of mud as was raining in the KNP. The plants were not even 18 inches tall.
It amazed me again how wakefull the KNP personnel is. When I stopped the official aked "what about the plants" I in turn asked jokingly "what plants?". Fortunately I could produce the receipt I was issue with at the nursery.

Well done KNP I have, as always, just came across friendly nice and willing people. I applaud you! Keep up with the standards. The KNP is after all every SA citizen's communal inheritance. :clap:

Thanks for the glowing report.
I have always wanted to go and get something to take back home, but I am always rushed when I leave.
This report has just made me more determined to make a stop over at the nursery.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:42 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I really need to write some care topics on growing indigenous plants in the plant section , I promise to start 1 this weekend .

Impala lillys should grow in the cape , as it is considered frost free , and it is also a dry area .
I seriously doubt that they will grow planted in the garden though , as the winter rainfall will come during there deciduous period , and 1 of the best ways to kill an impala lilly is to give it water when it is leafless .
I wonder how the acidic cape soil will work also .

It should grow very nicely in a pot , and you can water it through summer once a week or so , just make sure it is not showing any signs of water stress , as the second best way to kill an impala lilly is to give it to much water in summer .

The same goes for kudu lillys , although they are more tolerant to over watering and cold than the impala lilly .

As for planes , I am not sure , but you can remove them from there pot , and package them carefully with the roots bare , say in a cardboard flower box or something , and replant at home .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:23 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

bucky wrote:
I really need to write some care topics on growing indigenous plants in the plant section , I promise to start 1 this weekend .

Good idea! Can you twist in some considerations for international visitors? Our seasons are exactly opposite, that may or may not be important?

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:51 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I was told at the nursery that a woman from the UK once purchased an Impala Liliy to take back home with her. She did as Bucky mentioned (uprooted plant, covered it in news paper and put it into a cardboard box) and the plant survived.
I live in JHB and the Impala Lily I bought in FEB this year is doing very well in a pot at my house. Last week the first of what looks like many flowers started to open. Will take some pics and post them.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:53 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I have a feeling that the lady in charge of the nursery is the very same one who established it in the late 1970's or early 1980's .

There was an article in Custos magazine at the time of the opening , and the high standard has always been upheld . I did consider asking her last time I was there , if she was the original nursery lady , and next time I will and carry over the compliments .

By the way the prices of the plants are decidedly low and real bargains .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:04 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Thanks Bucky,

Next time I am in Kruger I shall try to remember and buy both impala & kudu lily & report back on their progress in the south easter!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have planted several plants which nurseries have said will not survive a SE and they really struggle in the beginning, but are now flourishing, you have to pamper them through the wind as much as possible.
I too bought plants from the Skukuza nursery, flame lillies, which have ofcourse since died back(they do this) will have to wait for next summer to see how they do. and yes the lady at the nursery is wonderful, she took the plants out of the soil, wrapped them in wet newspaper so that I could take them on the plane 8)...and the nursery is CHEAP!
btw, should have seen the airport officials face when she opened my packet with the plants :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have kicked off my reports with the impala lilly seen as this seems to be an often purchased plant , with people wondering how to care for it .
It is also easily killed by an over caring owner (Ask me , I have killed one or two while getting the right care formulae on the go)

impala lillys

Hopefully this makes sense , or if not let me know where I can tweak the format a bit .

Post subject: Re: Visit to the Skukuza nursery
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:32 pm 

NEELSVER wrote:
and I hope it grows so I can attach some KNP memories to it.

Should not be a problem. My inlaws stay in the same subburb you do and the one we bought them died but it was a case of over caring as Bucky will put it.

My parents stay down the road in Doornpoort and my mon has several she had planted in her garden in Limpopo (close to Pafuri gate) and brought with her when they retired. They are all doing well in pots