Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 4
 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Central Kruger sightings : May 2005
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:30 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Afternoon all

Finally the time has arrived, my bags are packed and i am off to Kruger early tommorrow morning...

Thought i better not leave the rest of you out, so i will be giving GP updates on how things are going and she will post them for me...

Enjoy the weekend...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:34 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi all

I am back, relaxed, rested and feeling fresh only to get back to the mad rush again tommorrow...

Was a mix up with GP and the updates, was smsing the wrong number the whole time, so some jolly fellow must have thought?????

Saw no YR's!!!

I will post a full update this week, just need to compile it all together... Stick around

Post subject: Hassim's Kruger Trip
Unread postPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:38 am 

Arrived back yesterday last night from a terrific Kruger trip, & I though i'd jus report back. This was my 10th trip to the park :D & even though i only spent 2 nights (in Skukuza & Satara), it was magical nonetheless.

Sightings were excellent:
9 Lions (1 pride of 7 adults and 1 cub entertained us for 20min on the S100; & 1 male lion close to Sweni).
2 Cheetah (H10 & H1-3)
Huge buffalo herds
2 white rhino
6 Hyena
& lots more

I had the pleasure of meeting Herman & his wife - a friendly couple. Herman has the proof (as was requested by a forum member)!

On Sunday morning, i did the bush walk in the Nwaswitshaka River area - amazing :!: Whilst being briefed, 4 hyena came to welcome us, followed by a white rhino bull marking his territory only metres from us. Without even taking a few steps, we once again had 2 hyenae coming to take a sniff of us. We saw a few other species (scrub hare, baboons, giraffe, impala, mole snake, & another rhino) during the walk.

Also had a 'huge' sighting at Lake Panic. As we left the hide, an elephant was browsing alongside the car park, but seemed undistracted as we approached our car.

I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:50 pm 

wildtuinman wrote:
Hassim, Did u do the morning walk from Satara or Pretoriuskop? that area is one of my favourites. It is awesome! Many animals occur around there especially leopard. Oops, gave away a secret of mine... :oops: :lol:

Did the bushwalk from Skukuza. Unfortunately I didn't get to see any leopards. Nevertheless, I can't wait to go for my next bushwalk (or wilderness trail)! :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:08 pm 

Almost forget, I almost had a LIT sighting! Just outside Lower Sabie, an impala carcass hung in a tree - but no leopard :(

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Saw the Big 5 , but nothing unusual. As you can see it was a LOG and not a LIT ! ( I am a member of LITS ) Had a great time with a group of friends though !

Post subject: The DBs’ May 2005 Kruger Trip
Unread postPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:01 am 

We (Mr DB & I) are leaving at lunch time and are due to arrive in KNP on Friday. I will try and post special moments and sightings from the KNP on this thread during our stay there or sms GP.

Each trip to Kruger is very special to me. This one is going to be even more so thanks to this forum and its members! I have been so inspired by our photo fundis that I am really excited to try and get some really good pics. I am going to visit Afsaal, the one place that has never really been on the top of my must go to list, but after reading about that area on the forum it is a must see for me. I am going to look for antlion! I am going to start serious birding, keep better records of sightings and take greater note of places and animals. I am going to come back with some mean mysteries :twisted:. I am even going to drink Amarula for the first time in the Park!

So on Friday evening we will be parked at Sunset Dam and will raise a glass of beer & Amarula to you all!!

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

North of Skukuza near Sand river

Post subject: Pac's trip to Kruger 29/4 - 2/5
Unread postPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:40 pm 

seems like everyone was there this weekend, yet didn't see any of you.stayed in Skukuza for 3 nights in a lovely 6 slepper there called Struben Guest house, built and designed in 1936 by Hilda Stevenson-Hamilton... anyway.......

The bush wasn't as dense as previous years, yet viewing and even finding the darn animals was harder this year for some reason. The weather was lovely and sunny though which compensated.

highlights included: 29/4 - kudu, two bull giraffe fighting(really cool), one HUGE aggresive bull elephant blocking the low level bridge outside Skukuza(making us late for gate close), klipspringer, steenbuck, juvenile bateleur

30/4 - Buffalo, baboons, hippo's, pied kingfisher, two white rhino, elephant, lilac breated roller, millions of impala!, water buck, klipspringer

1/5 - Buffalo, elephant, crocs and hippos, storks (forgot the name, many many birds at Sunset dam), Black backed jackal, lovely bull elephant, kudu, snake eagle

2/5 - Lion!(with kill), elephants, kudu, saddle billed stork!!, Phambeni Gate

the whole bush from Lower Sabie to mlondozi and beyond up to Tshokwane is all burnt on the eastern side of the road, the s65 from Skukuza to Phambeni is also burnt. Some green shoots have sprung up which was nice to see.

Pac

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:58 pm 

Hassim wrote:
DuQues wrote:
Hassim wrote:
Almost forget, I almost had a LIT sighting! Just outside Lower Sabie, an impala carcass hung in a tree - but no leopard :(

Have you ever seen a LIT?
This was probably an impala that got stuck while climbing trees, something they do on a regular basis. They are looking for leopards that are still stuck after the floods in 2000.

Or it could be a baboonkill....

:lol: With so many visitors to Lower Sabie this past weekend, I'm sure someone out there has proof of the LIT. I only have a pic of the impala in the tree.

I also saw the impala in the tree, not more than 100 metres after turning left out of Lower Sabie gate. other on lookers 'claim' the saw the leopard but the luck did not touch us i'm afraid.

pac

Post subject: Central Kruger sightings from end April/beginning May 2005
Unread postPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:32 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Craigsa Report back from the 27/04/05 – 02/05/05
3 nights at Satara
2 nights at Skukuza

Arrived early morning at Numbi gate. Travelled north up to Satara.
Travelled basically every road around Satara. I drove that bleemy S100 4 times and saw not a thing……
Had a night drive booked for 1st night but thought I would be tired so changed to 2nd night, just my luck on the 1st night they see leopard, lion , buffalo.. On 2nd night which I went on (and drove the S100) saw African wild cat and nothing else and on 3rd night they almost witnessed a lion kill right next the road on the S100….

Interesting sightings were…
Got a glimpse on Cheetah walking into bush on Orpen road, quick view of lion on Leeubron road, buffalo just outside Satara and elephant also just outside Satara, also got a glimpse of lion on sweni road just passed sweni bird hide. Good view of Fish Eagle at Nsemani dam and plenty of giraffe and zebra.

Skukuza was not good, burnt grass everywhere, stand at Nkumbe and all you see is black even down Phabeni way.. Drove all the way down to Crocodile bridge to see lion as none were seen anywhere around Skukuza…

Interesting sightings were…

Lion by Crocodile bridge, leopard kill in tree but no leopard about 200m outside Lower Sabie, lion on kopies where the Berg en Dal road meets the Skukuza road. Elephant on Phabeni road and buffalo down by Crocodile Bridge, Rhino on Biyamiti loop and also on Phabeni road.

Was quite impressed with this got a total of 85 bird species marked down…
That Roberts Pda really does help when it comes to identifying birds..
If you want a list of birds I can post them for you!..

All in all was actually quite quiet for me, I think maybe the friend who joined me was a jinx….. Had a really good time relaxing and enjoying the African bush.
Park was extremely busy, fully booked out over the weekend..

Back at work now and have to keep reminding myself I was on holiday 3 days ago cause it sure feels as I did not even getaway…

Just need to book my next trip now….

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

DB reported a temp of 38 degrees while setting up camp at Lower Sabie.

Now I'm wondering, angels, if she was sending me an sms while setting up camp, Mr DB was probably doing his duty as musketeer. She trained him really well! :twisted:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 6:13 pm 

06/05/05

Hi All!

We arrived at Crocodile Bridge at 12 noon today after driving 1464kms over the last three days. The gate office was quiet so we were ‘processed’ quickly and politely and were soon on our way to Lower Sabie along the H4-2. There was a slight breeze and the sky was cloudless. Being in a hurry to secure a good camp site we did not dally. The vegetation is definitely drier that it was a year ago. Ten kilos into the Park we noticed areas to our right that had burnt with green shoots of about 3cm. I would say along this road between Croc Bridge and LS a total of only about 10kms along the right side of the road was burnt but never felt once this compromised game viewing or enjoyment. Along the way we saw impala, giraffe, wildebeest, zebra, kudu, vervet monkey, dwarf mongoose, a black stork, coucal and ground hornbill. We set up camp at LS in a temp in the shade of 38 degrees C! (GP - I enjoyed a nice cold drink while Mr DB did the work!)

As I write this the thermometer reads 28 degrees C and the sun has set. Needless to say pitching camp was an extremely hot experience.

Sundowners at Sunset Dam was very special and we drank a toast to all you guys! There is hardly any weed on the dam which is lovely and full and the water was as still as glass. We saw croc, spoonbill, baboon, marabou, plovers, dikkop, hippo and waterbuck. A nice man parked next to us and told us about the wild dog he had has just seen 6kms along the road to
Skukuza - too late for us to drive there. And I was bitten by two mozzies.

A lady was sitting on her out her car window (not allowed) and very soon an official Parks vehicle came past, stopped at her car and soon she was back on her seat.

(Oops, I have left out the bees in the LS reception enjoying the ice cold juice!)

The camp is full and so far very quiet this evening with just the murmur of voices and glowing fires. There is a wonderful smell of braai on the still hot evening air.

So good night all - we are going to braai and have an early night.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:08 pm 

craigsa wrote:
Pac looked around for you but to no avail as i was at Skukuza for 30/04 and 01/05...

Where you see lion with kill?

The lion with a kill i saw was on Doispane road( south west of Skukuza) about 3km after the water hole, it was one lion with an impala it looked like.
I can't beleive i didn't see you!! we were there at exactly the same time......although the camp was packed to capacity that could explain it.

Pac

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 8:47 pm 

A ‘ps’ to last night: As we sat down to eat by candlelight at our table under a bright starry African sky, a hippo grunted and a hyaena called - what more of a welcome to the KNP could anyone want!!

And to whoever on this forum (I think it was Eric - forgive me if I am crediting the wrong person here) suggested tinned potatoes on the braai - wow, delish!!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next