Skip to Content

What type of clothes do you wear in Kruger

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Tangi

Clothes for early morning and night drives, and in general

Unread postby Tangi » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:59 am

I will be visiting Kruger in May and I have read that it will be cold.
Does this mean that for early morning and night drives I should wear a heavy long coat over heavy pants, a thick sweater, and long underwear (thermals)?
Is it this cold?
(I am not accustomed to the cold.)
Also, I have a question about what colors are appropriate.
The Kruger SAN Parks website and/or Kruger private lodge web sites, discourage the wearing of white or other bright clothes--because you are too visible to animals (though I am not at all clear on what animals see).
Meanwhile, I have read time and again (not on the SAN Parks website) that dark clothes are not good to wear at night or early morning as mosquitoes are attracted to dark colors, especially black and navy blue.
So what should I wear?
I just bought some khaki and olive green clothes for daytime wear, but will it matter if I wear a white jacket or black jacket at night or early morning as it will be dark anyhow?
I would hate to bring too much stuff, or pack clothes that will be of little use to me.
I also have a separate question related to early morning drives.
Not being a morning person, I need a little caffeine (tea) to wake up and get going.
However, the only bungalows I could book for Kruger are with communal kitchens.
Would it, then, be a good idea to take a Thermos with me so that I can make some tea the night before, that I can then drink in my bungalow before heading out on a morning drive (which I understand starts at about 5:30 a.m.)?
My Thermos keeps beverages hot all day.
I can't see running to the communal kitchen just before 5 a.m. and heating up some water for tea.
What do other folks do?
I'd appreciate hearing about your experiences.

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby bert » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:58 am

Any colour jacket will do. As long as it isnt a light colour
And mozzies are after blood and dont care much for the colour
of your jacket.
The thing is with a black jacket that it warms up fast in the sun
and insects like the warmth.

You can get hot water from the communal kitchen for you tea

I am a coffee man and wont move unless i had a mug (or two)

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:46 am

Hi Tangi,
we always go to Kruger every May/June and I can assure you that altho the early mornings are cold the day heats up rapidly and it can become very hot by midday.
Also, the morning/night drive vehicles usually have some blankets available to wrap around your legs.
So don't go too overboard with warm clothes.
Enjoy. :D
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Re: Clothes for early morning and night drives, and in gener

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:15 pm

Tangi wrote:Hello. I hope these don't seem like trivial questions. I will be visiting Kruger in May and I have read that it will be cold. Does this mean that for early morning and night drives I should wear a heavy long coat over heavy pants, a thick sweater, and long underwear (thermals)? Is it this cold? (I am not accustomed to the cold.)

Leave the long coat, but a thick sweater and heavy pants will do. a beanie is useful also. Just remember when the sun gets up it starts getting warmer quickly. You might want to peel off, so wear something lighter underneath.

Tangi wrote:Also, I have a question about what colours are appropriate. The Kruger SAN Parks website and/or Kruger private lodge web sites, discourage the wearing of white or other bright clothes--because you are too visible to animals (though I am not at all clear on what animals see).

Not relevant, go for practicality rather than colour. No animal is going to run away from a Man United shirt (Liverpool maybe :twisted:) Just don't wear a leopardskin suit and a pith helmet, you will be ID'd as a tourist immediately.

Tangi wrote:Meanwhile, I have read time and again (not on the SAN Parks website) that dark clothes are not good to wear at night or early morning as mosquitoes are attracted to dark colors, especially black and navy blue. So what should I wear? I just bought some khaki and olive green clothes for daytime wear, but will it matter if I wear a white jacket or black jacket at night or early morning as it will be dark anyhow? I would hate to bring too much stuff, or pack clothes that will be of little use to me. ).

By May, it should be cold enough to kill off the mozzies, so this is not a major factor. Just get a Tabard spray and do your hands & head for the occasional survivor
Tangi wrote:I also have a separate question related to early morning drives. Not being a morning person, I need a little caffeine (tea) to wake up and get going. However, the only bungalows I could book for Kruger are with communal kitchens. Would it, then, be a good idea to take a Thermos with me so that I can make some tea the night before, that I can then drink in my bungalow before heading out on a morning drive (which I understand starts at about 5:30 a.m.)? My Thermos keeps beverages hot all day. I can't see running to the communal kitchen just before 5 a.m. and heating up some water for tea. What do other folks do? I'd appreciate hearing about your experiences.

Yes, the kitchens all have PERMANENT BOILING WATER on tap, so you just take your thermos with your brand of caffeine powder in and fill up. It takes seconds.
Another practical tip. Persuade yourself that you ARE a morning person, and if not, put your watch forward 3 hours so you run to the kitchen at 8a.m!!

You are investing a lot of money in this fantastic trip Tangi, don't let the time rob you of any experience. As Bon Jovi says, you can sleep when you're dead.

Enjoy!
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

bert

Unread postby bert » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:54 pm

And some kind of windbreaker for the evenings if you intend do a nightdrive

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:20 am

It will also depend a little on what climate you are used to!
My first visit to Kruger was in late May/early June while I was living in the UK (Leicester).
On a night drive from Skukuza everyone was bundling up in sweatshirts, anoraks and blankets - I eventually put on a sweatshirt towards the end of the drive to keep everyone quiet as they kept asking if I was cold with just a t-shirt!!!!!
Now I am back in SA and last year during a few drives in an open vehicle I was equally bundled up and frozen!
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

elizecoetzee

clothing - july

Unread postby elizecoetzee » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:27 pm

What should we pack clothing wise for july in the KNP? We will be there in 2 weeks time.
thanx :D
Kruger addict 4 life !

Skukuza 31 Aug 2014 - 5 Sept 2014

Jun/July 2015 !!
Crocodile bridge
Berg & Dal
Skukuza
Letaba

Pjw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Pjw » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:42 pm

Night are cool and days are warm, about 25 C so pack tracsuits for around the braai in the evening and early mornings and t shirts and shorts/ jeans for the day. The best is to layer so you can remove jerseys etc as it gets warmer and put them back on when the sun goes down
"In the end we conserve only that which we love, we love only that which we understand, we understand only that which we are taught"
(Baba Dioum, Senegalese Ecologist)

Elzet
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: What type of clothes do u wear in Kruger

Unread postby Elzet » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:09 pm

For me it's jeans, jeans, jeans... blue, black, brown, khakhi. It adjusts to the temperature and I'm from the 'Levi' era! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
“Life is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who treat you right. Forget about those who don’t.” - Harvey MacKay

bert

Unread postby bert » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:37 pm

zipp-offs pants
T-shirts
shorts (from the zipp-offs)
slippers
walking shoes
fleece
swim trunk

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:00 pm

Colour to me is irrelevant.

I have recently taken to wearing shorts that come down below the knees to prevent them from getting sunburnt as I drive.
I also wear a lightweight hoodie to keep as much of the sun off my face/neck/arms as I can.

Then at night when I swim.....nothing :twisted:
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Dabchick
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Dabchick » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:01 pm

* calve-length (capri) pants or knee-length (hiking) shorts (not that I do a lot of hiking when at the KNP...)
* t shirts (short sleeves)
* body warmer (sleeveless fleece jacket) for early mornings or on night drives
* crocs bands (for the uninitiated these are mules in the "band" series of the crocs (tm) shoe brand - good for all day wear & showering :lol: )
* crocs mammoths (= fleece-lined crocs for early morning / evening; but only in the winter) ... wearing these with shorts/capri pants look rather "interesting" but fortunately I spent most of my early morning Kruger time in the car! :lol:
* beanie (winter mornings & evenings only)
* i won't spell out the undies :lol:

the emphasis in terms of my Kruger wardrobe = comfort.... looks don't count :whistle: :lol:

PNF
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby PNF » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:12 am

Short sleeved or sleeveless T-shirts
Shorts or Capri's
Jacket/Anorak
Hiking boots(??!) or Walking sandals
.............in fact, anything that is drip-dry and non iron (especially non iron)
Have been known to shock the neighbourhood by appearing at the pool in a swimming costume (one piece!) - but only try to do this under cover of darkness :twisted:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

Mokala (Motswedi Camp) 13 - 17 May
Karoo National 17 - 24 May
Addo 24 - 28 May
Then home - maybe!

threedogs
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby threedogs » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:16 am

Shorts mostly but also 3/4 leggings for morning walks. Jeans/pants for any cool/cold days.
Favourite beanie for those cold mornings or night drives.
Fleece jumper for as above.
3/4 sleeve shirts mostly because I get a lot of not so nice looks and barely disguised muttered disapproval in short sleeves (because of my tattoo 1/2 sleeve). :evil: :evil:
Walking shoes and sandals.
NO TO TRADE IN RHINO HORN!

Mant

Unread postby Mant » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:21 am

Hi,

Shorts
T-shirts
Sandals
Jersey and jeans for those cold nights and mornings, also night drives
Takkies

Samantha