Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:49 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Here's the veggie dish I posted in my trip report: (still have to finish the trip report.)

Mediterranean veggies

1 aubergine
1 baby marrow
1 red paprika
1 yellow paprika
2 red onions cut in rings
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped (2 or more cloves)
1 can of artichokes
4 table spoons of olive oil
200g soft goat cheese, but feta will do as well.
fresh herbs (rosemary, sage, thyme)
black olives
pepper and salt

grill basket

Wash the aubergine, baby marrow and paprika’s and chop them into chunks. Set the aubergine aside. Mix the vegetables with the onions, garlic, herbs, olives and olive oil. Set aside for 15 minutes and then add aubergine and artichokes. Put all in the grill basket and add lost of fresh grounded pepper and salt. Put on hot coals and cook for about 20 minutes. Crumble goat cheese over the top and wait till it melts a bit.
Serve with a ciabatta.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:40 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Mutton shank potjie
- for a rainy night or when you are tired of too many braai's .

Mutton shanks sawn into pieces . You can also add a beef shin (cut into bite size pieces) and also add some venison pieces - they all augment each other .

Put butter and olive oil in the potjie over fire or stove , and then braize the meat . Add rough sliced onion at give them a final braising too .

Reduce heat and add spuds (or diced potatoes) , carrots and tomatoes (to supply the liquid) . Simmer away for as long as you fancy . Add a tin of red kidney beans towards the end .

I don't believe in adding extra liquids but that's personal , and soft veges turn it into stew . Rather do a separate pot with rice and steam extra veges (also frozen ones) on top of the rice halfway thru the rice cooking time .
Pap is also good but not as good as a bed of rice .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:50 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Oxtail potjie - just the same as the shank potjie but here you can add extra liquid and simmer at higher heat .

However here is the trick . Towards the end pour off the cooking liquid , which has a lot of rendered down fat in it , into a dish . Then put ice cubes into this and scoop off the congealed fat .
Return the gelatinous liquid to the pot and finish it off.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:15 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Chicken braai pieces - always available in the camp shops so a real (& economical) standby .

While you have a cool fire and the grill basket out for the sarmies do this chicken . Beware - you may never enjoy take away chicken again (as much).

Take the (seasoned to your choice) chicken pieces and massage them with OLIVE OIL and leave alone for a while you have sundowner/s . The olive oil truly prevents the chicken pieces from burning and gives a golden tan . The fatty skin also grills the underlying fat slowly out and becomes crispy .
Turning the grill basket regularly helps too and this braai can take up to an hour so see that your drinks are topped up.

Gwen - this term of yours "GRILL BASKET" really sounds good , it flows off the tongue like "toevou-rooster " .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:15 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

STEAK IN BROWN GRAVY - done in a skottel , for brunch or as evening meal .

Fry onions in a little oil till clear and then put in a dish .
Fry your steaks in oil and butter (mix) to just as you like it (rare) . There will now be plenty of browning in the skottel .
Return the onions and add Bisto mixed with a cup water .
Stir in the browning and reduce temperature .
Ready in a minute or so .

Must be eaten on stiff mealie meal - "stywe pap" .
For brunch , cold pap from last night is OK .
At night serve a salad too .

Also works with liver (or kidneys) as alternative . The liver is not critical to eat immediatly , so it can be put in a dish while you fry eggs , do the toast etc etc for the real big Mc Coy bush breakfast .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:04 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FISH FRITTERS - a lunch for when you are sick & tired of meat (and don't pull up your nose until you try these - you are in the bush after all and the sea is far away) .
Actualy the take-aways at the restaurants used to sell excellent fried fish to buy lunch times but these days I'm not so positive .

Tin of drained Pilchards in tomato sauce in a mixing bowl.
Remove the backbones with a fork and mash the "sards" .
Grate an onion into the bowl and stir .
Dust some flour in and add an egg . Mix till nice consistency .
Fry fritters in oil turning once and dry on paper towel.

Serve with salad or whatever .

Potato fritters version - use grated potato instead of pilchards . Longer frying time till golden brown . Labour intensive but delicious .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:43 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

SALADS FOR THE LONG HAUL - these are for when you have finished all your fresh salads .

4 bean salad (not common like baked beans but you can get a tin with 4 bean variety) - open tin and flavour with balsamic vinegar or worcester sauce .

Bottled , shredded or sliced beetroot is a must for standby

Pickled cucumbers or onions

Peppadews - need I say more . Don't throw the juice away , use it as a salad dressing .

Copper penny salad in bottles lasts a long time .

Pasta salad - cook pasta and add mayonaise and a tin of tuna fish . Can also add some of the above mentioned pickles . Chill . Combinations endless according to your imagination and larder .

Last edited by Shidzidzii on Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:53 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

POTJIE PUDD - for the night that you are not using your flat bottom pot or feel like a change from tinned peaches .

Bread and butter pudding .
Smear the potjie with butter as for a potbread .
Put in chunks of buttered bread (old is fine) .
Add honey , jam , sugar or pieces of dried fruit (if available) according to taste .
Add milk with whisked egg in it .
Bake the potjie as for potbread with good coals on the lid about 20 minutes .

Rice pudding basically the same but using left over rice and less milk .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:25 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

BRAAI OF THE DAY - anyone can do these their way .

Rumpsteak - sliced leftovers are welcome padkos next day (with lots of salt for the thirst)

Mutton Chops - The traditional SA braai meat

Pork Chops - beter over a fire than a pan anyday

Whole Fillet - searingly hot coals for roasted outside but rare inside . Carve into slices for the highlight of your tour .

Eisbein - in case you are missing your bar lunches , slow grill a pre-cooked eisbein so the excess fat drips away .

Boerewors - best quality and not too fatty or it will become a skinny weener.

Spareribs - more pork and basting !

Sout ribbetjie (English - Salt mutton rib) - this should be braaied for at least 2 hours over slow coals .

Serve all braais with your choice of side dishes . You must remember to balance your meat and drink diet with these .

Last edited by Shidzidzii on Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:48 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Fantastic advice Mikev, I've really enjoyed reading this thread and got lots of ideas.
We fly in so are limited but I have a survival kit we carry including braai tongs, sharp knives, bottle opener etc. We also plan in advance and pick up a cool box iin Joburg(poly which we leave with the staff in the park) and frozen vacuumed packed meat for the trip.
Although it's a hassle moving camps (freeze bottles of water as coolers and lovely to drink!) we have found this works really well. Other staples we buy before going in as we've found over the past few years prices in the park have jumped. Also, the variety of fresh fruit and veg is SO good in SA!

Love the bread and butter pudding - an English favourite!
Re salads/veg for the long haul. We have rice mixed with corn and peas, really tasty and goes well with any braai.

Keep the ideas coming! :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Easy chickpea salad

Mix together:
- Tinned chickpeas
- Cucumber
- Feta
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Black pepper

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:51 pm 

I'd like to buy a Dutch oven. (Potjiekos pan) What's the difference in cooking between the pots with the little legs and the pots without them? Pro's - cons?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:30 pm 

gwendolen wrote:
I'd like to buy a Dutch oven. (Potjiekos pan) What's the difference in cooking between the pots with the little legs and the pots without them? Pro's - cons?

[img]...[/img]

Gwendolen,
I have both in various sizes. For meat dishes that take a long time the 3 leg pot is more ideal as you can feed and control the heat....but for seafood dishes that need to be layered more flat and put over a slightly cooler heat then the flat bottomed pot is probably more managable but it all depends on the mood I'm in when I do a Potjie then I'll take out the relevant pot. We love the No 1 with legs and no 3 flat bottom if it is just us...but go right up to no 8 for the big parties!!!

Post subject: Pots
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:39 pm 
The one with the ridiculously tiny legs would be designed to stand on the ground over an open bed of coals. The other could tip over in this situation, but can be used very effectively on a normal stove plate or gas cooker.

I would suggest the "platboompotjie", flat bottom, as one can't normally make a ground fire in the Park, and one can simply put it on the grid of the normal braaiers, or put it on a stove if it rains.

However, get one of the longer-legged smaller pots in SA, they can be used on the braaier to prepare rice, pap, sheba etc., and there is a bit of a taste improvement.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:12 pm 

Thanks for explaining the difference, BushCall & Richprins. Looks like I need to buy both. :lol:

I'll start with a three-legged one, as I won't be going to the park this year.* :cry:

* We're off to the lakes, woods and mooses of Sweden, but we will be bringing our Cobb BBQ of SA fame with us too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next