Skip to Content

Route from the Cape to Kruger.

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:54 pm

We travel from EL to Kruger fairly often and after trying many different routes we now always stick to the N1 onto the N12 through Joburg. The traffic is a bit daunting but it is just a far easier and nicer road to travel.
Sawubona
Dalene

Readles

Travelling from Eastern Cape to KNP

Unread postby Readles » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:18 am

Hoping that one of the Eastern Cape experts can help. I am planning a trip to the KNP in December 2007 (Croc Bridge), but I will be driving from Kenton-on-Sea (about an hour North of PE). I was wondering if someone could tell me which is the best route to take and approximate timing.
Thanks as always

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:46 am

Hi Readles, we drive up from EL and have done the routes via Bethlehem and through Jhb each a few times. We prefer the Jhb way - one just has to be on the ball to get onto all the correct off ramps/on ramps but the roads are good and wide most of the way. And it is a bit more costly because of all the toll gates. The other way is fairly scenic but disjointed and the roads when we last drove it had sections that were bad pothole wise.

So if you choose to go through Gauteng - make sure you have a good map of the Jhb area.
Sawubona
Dalene

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:48 am

Oops timing - from EL to Croc Bridge is just short of 1500kms. We tow a caravan and it takes us a full day and 2/3's to do the trip. I'd say not towing, one can get pretty far the first day and to the Park before lunch on the second day.
Sawubona
Dalene

Boulder

Unread postby Boulder » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:04 pm

Readles we used to live in Grahamstown just up the road so this is the route Grahamstown.... Bedford.... Cradock .... Hofmeyr... Steynsburg.... Venterstad.... Gariepdam.... Springfontein.... Bloemfontein..... Kroonstad...... JHB .... Pretoria.... Witbank.... Belfast (we normally go north from there to Phalaborwa) but you go to Nelspruit.... Komatipoort and in... Hope that helps
Dawn greeting of the francolin

Albert
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Albert » Mon May 28, 2007 11:40 am

Restio,
Travel from CT to Beaufort-West the first day, and stay over at the Karoo National Park. Then do a long day's travel the second day (dunno about missing JHB, tried that a couple of times but did not work out that well... :shock: )

We are doing Stellenbosch-Karoo National Park-Pretoria-Berg-en Dal in July this year.
Searching for a Cape Eagle Owl....

carolynn

Port Elizabeth to Kruger National Park

Unread postby carolynn » Mon May 03, 2010 10:19 am

Has anyone form PE been to Kruger recently and if so, what route did you follow and what were the road conditions like?
Live each day as if it's your last... and one day you'll be right!

DinkyBird

Re: Port Elizabeth to Kruger National Park

Unread postby DinkyBird » Mon May 03, 2010 10:34 am

Hi carolynn,

Not from PE, but close enough ... we always stick to the N6 (EL to the N1) and then the N1 via Bloem to Jhb area, and onto the N12 to the N4.

The Jhb traffic is nerve wreaking so try to avoid peak times like early mornings and the later afternoons, and have a good map so you know when to change lanes in good time to take the off ramps. We just find this is a much easier and less stressful trip than to go via Bethlehem for eg because we tow a caravan to Kruger, and prefer to use the good toll roads which are wide.
Sawubona
Dalene

hoyle

Re: Port Elizabeth to Kruger National Park

Unread postby hoyle » Wed May 05, 2010 3:03 pm

Hi Carolynn - we drive from Uitenhage to Kruger - takes us 2 days, we sleep in Bethlehem and then on to Croc. Bridge.
Our route - Uitenhage - Bloemfontein via Graaff Reinet and Colesburg - then Bethlehem, sleep over and then take the Warden, Vrede road - Standerton, Morgenzon, Ermelo, Breyton, Carolina, Nelspruit - on to Malelane etc. We find these roads pretty good, the roads via Zastron are bad to say the least.
If you like I can send you my printed road info that we follow each year. (this shows the mileage and route no.s.)
Uitenhage to Croc. Bridge is 1537 kil. Uitenhage to Bethlehem is 901 km. Only put on about 29 km.s from P.E.
We will be going to KNP in July and can't wait!

Hope this helps and any further info just let me know. Joan.
FEBRUARY 3 WEEKS
JULY-AUG-SEPT 7 WEEKS
WE ARE NOT GREEDY - JUST LIKE A LOT!

Munchkin
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Driving from Cape Town to Kruger

Unread postby Munchkin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:29 pm

We are driving up from Cape Town on our very first Kruger Trip - see dates in signature - I would like to know from fellow Capetonians that also drive up, how they split their journey.
I was thinking that we would leave early-ish from CT (say 5am) and drive to Bloem on our first day and then drive from Bloem to Kruger - entering at Malelane - spending our first night camping at BnD. Yes, No???

When I did an earlier search, it seems like some folks prefer to go via Kimberley and also that maybe 3 days instead of 2 should be budgeted for the trip...........Your thoughts and advice please.

We drive a diesel bakkie - so no "voet in die hoek" for us......... :lol:
(Munchkin = Our Persian Cat - Sadly Munchie no longer with us.)

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Driving from Cape Town to Kruger

Unread postby okie » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:57 pm

Hi Munchkin . We live in CT and start our next trip to KNP from farm in Worcester this coming Sunday .
We used to drive Beaufort West ( overnight at Karoo Nat Park ) - then Aberdeen ,Graaf Reinet , Aliwal North , Bethlehem ( optional overnight ) , Vredefort , Standerton ( optional overnight ) Ermelo, Badplaas, Barberton, N4 to Malelane - distance 1890 km.
This is not too bad, but the roads especially Mpumalanga are now almost non-existent .
Also, CT to Bloemfontein road you encounter at least 1 truck per kilometer, both directions - no kidding !
We drive between 700 to 800 kilometers per day, that's why those optional stays - lots of B&B's all over .
So now we drive via Kimberley - first stop Mokala, then Bloemhof , Wolmaranstad, via Rustenburg, then N4 to just north of Pretoria - second night probably anywhere between Rustenburg and Potgietersrus ( Mokopane ) , leaving an easy reach of about 450 km via Phalaborwa .
This is relatively quite, almost no traffic at all until you get to the N4 at Rustenburg, but that is quite fast and you can take it right down to Malelane .
If you have more questions , please feel welcome . :lol:
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Munchkin
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Munchkin » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:25 am

:thumbs_up: Thanks so much okie for the info - We will now look at going via Kimberley instead - SO still wants to try and do the uprun in 2 days :roll: -although I also like an approx 800 km drive per day.

:dance: Enjoy your trip - min dae!!!
(Munchkin = Our Persian Cat - Sadly Munchie no longer with us.)

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby okie » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:39 am

I used to do the run CT to JHB in 14 - 15 hours :big_eyes:
but ... on holiday, we are much more relaxed :roll:
Last time, we stayed just outside Kimberley, I think it was called Kalahari Lodge or something - had a very nice gemsbok steak at the restaurant . :whistle:
That would be just short of 1000 km from CT .
Otherwise, say about 800 km, about 20 - 30 km beyond Britstown , you can try Kambro Cottages - selfcatering, but absolutely magic Karoo :lol: .
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby okie » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:00 pm

By the way, you can get cheaper diesel at the truck-stops this side of Beaufort West and there are others along the way you should look for .
Avoid filling up at the usual tourist garages - Kimberley is expensive .
We make a list of prices and compare as we drive .
You will find the cheaper ones outside and on the outskirts of towns and cities .

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:46 pm

We leave CT around 2h00 and get well away before first light.
We arrive in JHB (to stay with family admittedly) around 15h00, rest and then leave at about 1h00 and arrive at gate opening time.

I prefer to break the back of the journey on the first day.
I would rather spend the extra travelling days that others use, in Kruger.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Return to “Kruger National Park”