Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: TMNP:The Hoerikwaggo Trails
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:56 pm 

The first phase of the "Tip to Top" Hoerikwaggo Hiking trail has been launched! 8)

I really don't know why such a trail hasn't been launched here before? It's really a spectacular hike and I'm sure once it's 100% complete it's set to become one of the top (if not the best) trails in South Africa! :D

If anybody has photo's or comments about any of the Hoerikwaggo Trails, post them here!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:23 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

You may want to look at these pages.
But yes, some reports and photo's would be very nice!

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Fantastic Trail, see for yourself!
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:25 pm 

Here, watch this video that I shot from the Table Mountain Trail (a really nice 3 day hike; with upmarket accommodation on Table Mountain).
Enjoy the sneak preview!

Here is the link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0ZtuyzXUns

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This is very cool janfolmer, thanks fo sharing the vid...got any pics from the trail? I have a few in the gallery that I'll post here but it would be great to hear from more people who've done the trail!!

Post subject: Amazing
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:27 pm 

I love the classical view of Table Mountain from Blaauwberg beach, and last weekend when we did the Hoerikwaggo trail the beauty behind that picture amazed me! I never expected there to be such a good trail, variety in vegetation, views, and nice accommodations. The guides were really cool and knowledgeable; we had good fun with them. This trail was really the way I like outdoor activities: a good hike during the day, and to arrive in a comfortable house, with delicious food and a good glass of wine. I’d definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to explore Cape Town from a different perspective.

Post subject: re:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:17 pm 

Dis n baie "cool" movie, ek sal ook graag die staptog wil aanpak,maar eks nie seker of my finansies dit sal kan bekostig nie vir ons "local" mense is dit maar duur.

Rob

Quick translation for the non-saffies:
That is a "cool" movie. I would like to do the trail, but I'm not sure if I can pay this as it's quite costly for "locals".

Rob, English is the language for the forums. Most visitors are international visitors, with little or no knowledge of Afrikaans.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:22 pm 

Hi and welcome to the forum Rob!!

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject: re
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:41 pm 

my appologies I didnt realise its a english only forum.

Rob

Post subject: Re: re
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

robertesterhuyse wrote:

Hi Rob and welcome! Read here and all the forum "mysteries" :wink: will be explained!

Post subject: Re: re
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:58 pm 

robertesterhuyse wrote:

Rob

Not a prob at all!

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:49 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Rob

I hope you have a look at this report too...there is an option to not do the first day of the trail (the city tour)...if you have any other questions regarding the trail, I'll be happy to assist where I can?

Dianne

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:33 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just a comment re: the cost of the Table Mountain Trail. There is now an option to leave out the city tour leg of the trail on the first day, making this the perfect weekend option for capetonians.

Further to this, the hike is a luxury product, with very up market accommodation and great catering-7 sumptious meals, from the restaurant lunch on day one, the Cape Malay buffet feast in the evening, the full breakfast and packed lunch, extravagent braai on night two, and then the next day's breakfast and lunch...the hike is portered, the cable car paid for, and you have dedicated and knowledgable guides with you all the way-and you get to sleep on top of the mountain 8) ...relative to many other activities, once you add up all the costs over the three days...perhaps not so bad?

There are other options too-the silvermine, orangekloof and cape of good hope trails...check out the Hoerikwaggo website

Last edited by dianne on Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:49 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Taken from IOL

Table Mountain set for new hiking breakaway

March 05 2007
By Environment Writer

Hikers looking for a bit of a challenge should sign up for the second leg of the Hoerikwaggo Trail, which will be opened at the end of the month.

The 18km trail, which begins near Slangkop Lighthouse and ends in Silvermine, is the toughest section of the hiking trail through Table Mountain National Park, which will eventually link Cape Point with Table Mountain.

Stephen Lamb, project manager of the trail, said that, when completed, the Hoerikwaggo Trail Tented Classic will take six days and five nights.

The two-day section from Silvermine to Table Mountain, with an overnight stop at the tented camp at Orange Kloof, was opened in October.

"The section from Slangkop to Silvermine has spectacular views and will be the most challenging on the six-day trail. You need to be fit and to carry plenty of water. There is a 5km walk along Noordhoek beach, which is lovely, and there we've constructed a trail from The Hoek, at the end of the beach, up to the top of Chapman's Peak, where the views are just spectacular.

"The trail then winds down and up again over Noordhoek Peak, and then down to the tented camp at Silvermine. We were proud of the camp we built at Orange Kloof, but we think the one at Silvermine is even better," Lamb said.

National Park staff take hikers' baggage by vehicle from Slangkop to Silvermine, so all hikers need to carry is their day packs. Hikers are accompanied by two National Park trail guides, who have radio links to 24-hour emergency staff.

Tough section of hiking trail "Eventually, hikers will be able to do the whole six-day hike, but until those are built, we are catering for local hikers who are looking for a two-day breakaway," Lamb said.

The Silvermine camp sleeps 12 and is equipped with hot showers, a fridge, stove, cooking utensils and a braai place.

"We've kept the theme of 'touch the earth lightly', so instead of bricks and concrete, we've used sandbags and recycled metal and wood. We've used energy-efficient designs and all the wood is made from alien vegetation. There's the most beautiful hand-cut pine panelling," he said.

The official launch of the trail is on March 30.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:05 pm 

Does the option exist to do the Hoerikwaggo Trail on one's own without a guide, or can one only camp overnight on the mountain within a guided tour? I ask because my mates and I would prefer to rough it along the trail, instead of having our gear ported and sleeping in luxury tents!

I'm also curious as to whether this trail follows and links existing trails, or if an entirely new trail is being carved through the mountains? I used to hike on Table Mountain every weekend, but seldom have the opportunity since leaving Kaapstad.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:45 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Gosh-where to start! I got great pics and support documents on the trails from the project manager, Stephen lamb-first up I'll link to the brochures-as they will answer some questions...

Table Mountain and Orange Kloof Trail

Silvermine and Cape of Good Hope Trail

I did the Table Mountain Trail (wow) but will see if we can get some more feedback from Stephen himself on the rest-don't want to give the misconception that the Hoerikwaggo products only cater for a luxuery market!