Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 2
 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:28 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

On Thursday, we treated ourselves to dinner at the Selati Station Grillhouse. On the way there, we stopped at the main restaurant to have sundowners and watched the baboons cross the old railway bridge. Little hurricane lamps were put on the tables and we sat back and enjoyed a cool glass of white wine.

After a while we moved on to Selati. The restaurant is set in the old Skukuza station and has a lovely ambiance. Feast your eyes on the menu. Looks good, huh? We had a delicious meal and I was very impressed with the service. Superb staff.

Friday's highlights were wildebeest, a White-backed vulture in a tree, steenbokkies, Cape vultures, a Bateleur, hippos, kudu, two rhinos sleeping in the shade, (I’m surprised they were still sleeping as a lady in the other car was yapping away on her mobile, so loud that even we could hear her) waterbuck and a big breeding herd of elephant.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Last edited by gwendolen on Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:41 pm 

The two sleeping beauties

This made me very sad.
Luckily a safari jeep arrived on the scene and the driver assured me they would contact the rangers in Skukuza.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

gwendolen wrote:
This made me very sad.

Can I trust my eyes, wire sling around Hyena's neck?? :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:06 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I thought I had seen wrong :? :? ....
to me that is just not Kruger :?:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:08 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The pic of one of my favourite Hyenas makes me furious and raging . Image
Isn't it a shame that a human beeing is able to do something like that to an animal :evil:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:32 am 

At first I didn't see the snare. It was when the hyena walked past us, that I gasped. The snare was quite deep in his skin, it was bleeding badly. Awful.

One of the guides told us (on a sunset drive, when we saw a lion with a limp) that animals that are sick or injured will walk on the tar roads to save energy. Walking on tar is easier than walking in the bush.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:15 pm 

Letaba

We left Skukuza around 7 in the morning, after making a pic of the railroad bridge at sunrise. We had a long way to go, all the way up to Letaba. We had a couple of very special sightings. Baboons waking up, and two of my favourite sightings of the trip, the baby hamerkop and a little leopard tortoise. We parked the car diagonally on the road and waited for it to find an opening to get into the veld.

Image Image
Image Image

Other highlights of the day were giraffe, hippo, crocs, Burchell’s coucal, zebra, impala, waterbuck, kudu, elephants, Bateleur and Ground hornbills.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:11 pm 

At last we arrived at Letaba. We decided to take a walk along the fence and spotted two more Saddle-billed storks. One was taking a bath.

Image Image

Image Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:17 pm 

We asked for bungalow D64, but ended up in one of the 40-ies. I must say we do prefer camping to staying in a bungalow when it comes to Letaba. Camping at the fence is definitely more fun and you get to see more animals like the cute dwarf mongooses and the tree squirrels. We did however get the chance to see spaghetti crunchin' monkeys. The vervets had raided one of the neighbour's kitchen and wrecked havoc there. There was miellie meal all over the veranda. They took the packet of spaghetti with them and a group of about 10 monkeys started to happily crunch away.

ImageImage
Image Image
(sorry about the quality)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:28 pm 

The next day we visited the Elephant Hall at Letaba. I posted pictures of the new hall here. We saw elephants, hippo, kudu, impala, buffalo, marabou and from the deck at olifants we saw fish eagles on a nest and two Saddle-billed storks in the river.

That afternoon we also saw a rather rare specimen of Homo Sapiens. This one tried to clean his car with a sprinkler. Instead of bringing it to the perfectly good car wash at Letaba, the cheapskate grabbed one of the sprinklers (they had just been turned on) and started washing his car with it.

We planned on staying at Letaba for three nights, but we swapped the last night for a stay at Olifants. Today was another Saddle-billed day, we saw 5 of them. Two of them might have been the ones we saw at Letaba earlier. We also saw klipspringers (thanks Salva :wink: ) elephants, zebras, bateleur, fish eagles, impalas and giraffes.

Image Image
Image Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:52 pm 

Animals at the deck
ImageImage

View from no 90
Image Image

We had a lovely dinner at Olifants restaurant. (We also ate at Letaba, but I think the cook must have been on leave, because the food was awful. :cry: ) The next morning we spoilt ourselves and had a very long and lazy breakfast before going on our walk. We booked the Riverwalk, which starts at 9.30 in the morning. It takes about 1,5 hours and is a great opportunity to see crocs and hippos up close and personal. Also read Hawk's report. Besides the crocs and hippos, we saw a huge hamerkop nest and a junior Pel’s Fishing Owl.

Image Image
Image Image

After the Riverwalk we stocked up and drove to Roodewal. But first we made another long stop on the low bridge.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:46 am 

Foeke and I spent two nights in Roodewal Bushcamp to celebrate our 12.5 years together. We made a big fire every evening and gazed at the stars, sipping wine and listening to the nightsounds.

Image Image
ImageImage

The two rhinos were standing in the road. After eyeing us for two minutes, they ran off, kicking up dust. The dwarfmongoose are one of my favourite animals.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:57 am 

After Roodewal we left for Tamboti. Our last camp of this trip. Tamboti was lovely, but very windy.

Image Image
ImageImage

The view from the tent was one of the best.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2