Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Shingwedzi - hot spots
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Looks like KTP is off for december , but we are going to do knp instead , staying at Shingwedzi for the majority of our trip .

What are the birding hot spots in and around the area .(We will deffs do a day trip up to pafuri ).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Video of the Year (2013)
Hi Bucky, some birding hot spots near Shingwedzi is, The Low Water Bridge,Swimmingpool area, beside the restaurant or on the day visitors area and all the little loops on the Kanniedood Dam.RedRocks loop and the Mphongolo loop.Pafuri is a must. :thumbs_up:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The whole of Shingwedzi is a hot spot in December......

Take a costume

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:12 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Nico has summed it up nicely. "birdwatching" around the pool is sometimes rewarding in more ways than one.... :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:lol:
The loop just before Kanniedood, Shipiriwiri Loop, is also great for bird's. There isn't that many roads around Shingwedzi so you'll probably have over enough time to explore most of them. I would say during December the low-level bridge, Kanniedood road and shipiriwiri loop, which also has a river crossing- saw Nyala, green-backed Heron and many other wetland birds on this loop.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:44 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

christo wrote:
Nico has summed it up nicely. "birdwatching" around the pool is sometimes rewarding in more ways than one.... :D

Re..he..heally! What have you spotted there?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I agree 100% with Nico, and those are pretty good game-viewing areas as well. (except the restaurant :lol: )

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:46 am 

We used to hit Shingwedzi on 26 Dec every year for 10 days when we lived in JHB JUST FOR THE BIRDS. Redrocks throws up things like African Golden Oriole. The S56 along the river is great for Broadbilled Roller, Owls, White Breasted Cuckoo Shrike etc... Its jus a pity its so far from Pafuri but great for that all the same. Try the high water bridge on the main road north in the LATE evening JUST before close.....Bat Hawk and Amur Falcon just about guaranteed....Bucky we will be at Punda for 4 days 18-22 then only 1 night at Shingwedzi before going to Shimuwini for Christmas etc maybe we can catch up and compare notes of ALL those summer birds Also Collared Palm Thrush arrives in Nov most years and is seen in the old ring of huts mostly....mega tick!!!!

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:39 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the tips .

:lol: @ birdwatching around the pool .

PB , once things are confirmed , I will get in touch .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:04 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Bucky
A special at Shingwedzi is the Palm Collared Thrush. If you look at the little road circle in camp just past the shop/reception it has a whole lot of palm trees in it. Scan these for the PCT as they are often there.
The high water bridge is very good at sunset for Bat Hawks, spend some time there and you might get lucky.
The back entrance in the big trees is good for Owls. Keep a look out along the Kanniedood Rd for African Barred Owl (i've seen it there in Summer often)
If you do get to Pafuri stop on the high water bridge there and look out for Spinetails. At first they might look like just another swift, but rather double check. I've seen them there before a few time. To me its the best spot for them.
Have a great trip.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:14 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

I don't know if Giant eagle owls are territorial enough to stay, but I found one in the last corner before the lookout, coming from the north.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:05 am 

Looks as if everybody forgot the birdhide at Kanniedood :? .Also just at sundown there are usually owls just outside the camp gate at the big dead tree on the left about 1km. from the gate.
Bird watching at he pool is not bad either,plenty of waders,divers and preeners. :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:29 pm 

Snoobab wrote:
Hi Bucky
A special at Shingwedzi is the Palm Collared Thrush. If you look at the little road circle in camp just past the shop/reception it has a whole lot of palm trees in it. Scan these for the PCT as they are often there.

Snoonab I'm sure you are referring to these palm trees near the shops at Shingwedzi. I often have a siesta after lunch there so I must scan the canopy for the Collared Palm Thrush. I saw him on the roof of B46 two years ago...much prefer to see him in a tree!!

{5.7 Mb original}

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:48 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I know the trees , will defs go look there .(Interesting perspective photo Peter .)

Kaniedood hide , I like that also for the many hippo n croc sightings , although am always a little nervous getting out there , it looks like the ideal leopard/lion ambush spot :lol: .

I have been to Shing very often , but always searching for big game while the birding is a new pursuit , so thanks for all the special tick tips guys :thumbs_up:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:03 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
bucky wrote:
Kaniedood hide , I like that also for the many hippo n croc sightings , although am always a little nervous getting out there , it looks like the ideal leopard/lion ambush spot :lol: .

Laine has a very interesting story to tell bout an encounter @ this hide. Laine!!! :lol:

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:47 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
I find Kanniedood hide as one of the worst for birding in Kruger. I really wish that there were more hides like Lake Panic.

Bucky, the Shingwedzi area is overall excellent for birds. Look out for Pygmy falcons, you never know how lucky you might get.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next