Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Oh well , that's a pity its off limits again .
I went down there when it was opened up , the same time that the Talamati road was opened up I think .

Had a great time sitting at the dam and there was very little traffic, even went into Bateleur to buy cooldrinks .
I never realised it was taboo at the time (I don't think it was) .

Imho that area can stay open to tourists, only the hardened park goer will be found out there in any case, its a pity this beautiful area is under lock and key again and only the 5 sets of Bateleur goers get to go there (Although if I was staying at the camp I wouldn't think so :lol:) especially seeing as it is 1 of the main attraction dams around there.
The camp should be off limits though , same as all the other bush camps .
I have stayed at various no entry camps , for eg Balule and got irritated by people coming in there to use the ablutions on more than 1 occasion .

Post subject: Agreements
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:13 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I agree Bucky. I think this is a sentiment that can only truly be understood by those who have stayed in a bush camp and have experienced this ‘phenomenon.’

Nature is free but (maybe) unfortunately, in modern times, to enjoy certain features of it comes at a price. Some people choose to pay for these ‘certain things’ in the KNP – let them be, one never knows their circumstances.
Hey, who knows, perhaps it was a honeymoon gift…hehehehe. :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:29 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I think bateleur is quite unique , being the same size as the old nwanetsi or jock of the bushveld camps .
These used to be private camps that you booked out in block form .

All the other bushveld camps are far bigger with about 20-30 units , so bateleur is fairly unique with its 6 or so units.

Post subject: Kamp Runner - Bateleur Bushcamp
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

KAMP RUNNER – BATELEUR BUSHCAMP
Distance is just short of a kilometre.

It is a small camp with only 7 units, a conference centre, reception and of course staff units. The camp itself is a square area – so no chance of getting lost!
The camp has a nature trail that runs along the perimeter fence.
It is a flat dirt track - just follow the paw print.

The hide is a good starting point (or not as you can easily forget about your run if the resident giant kingfisher is fishing at the waterhole!).
Run either clockwise or anti-clockwise.

The trail takes you along the perimeter fence and through a small wooded area of trees – take time out to learn your trees (it’s not a race after all) – some of them are labelled.
Look up in search of the cardinal woodpecker. You can clearly hear him tapping away.
Image Image
Follow the trail past reception and take time out to admire the collection of skulls artfully displayed in the trees in front of reception.
I hope they all died of natural causes - elephant, rhino, kudu, monkey and buffalo are all there.
Pass the gate and continue round toward the hide (running anti-clockwise).
One loop completed.

I always run with my small Olympus digital just in case I see something.
My 2nd run at Bateleur was no exception – as I reached the perimeter fence I ‘ran into’ a breeding herd of ellies. The youngsters close to the fence took fright and moved away…so did I!!
The moms were not too happy with my presence either so I moved away well behind the bushes not to upset them further.

From paw prints to birds - the big & the small, Bateleur bushcamp will not disappoint.
Image Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:45 pm 

We found Bateleur to be arguably the best run camp we stayed at.
Very small but very well organised and the most motivated staff we experienced in the whole trip.
The camp manager, Lazarus came around twice during our one night stay for a chat.
All of the staff seemed very happy and hard working.
Just a shame the place was so dry when we were there.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Certainly one of my favourite camps!
We took a group of overseas visitors there last year on a request from a friend.
They loved it and we found the camp, as usual, peaceful and well maintained.
Fortunately my hubby, who is also an electrician was there the first night because they had a problem with the power supply and no-one could do anything (would have had to wait until the next day).
Within 15 minutes the whole camp had power again! :clap:

Post subject: Bataleur
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:17 am 

Hi everyone.
Bataleur has to rate as the most remote camp in Kruger.
If you seek solitude and don't mind a few Red Romans which run around at night, then this is the camp to visit.
The hide is super, saw leopard one night and watched ellies bathing the whole day.
Both dams are great with Rooibosrandt having more game.
Don't expect to see large herds in this area, but the game viewing is still rewarding. Chalets are top notch, clean and airconditioned for thos very hot days. We experienced 43º in the shade last October. :roll:

Post subject: Bateleur Bush Camp
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:43 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi all Bateleur fans.
Always wanted to visit this camp and will eventually get my wish at the beginning of November.
We are taking my Mom, aged 87, to Kruger for four nights.
Last year we stayed in Talamati.
Enjoyed it tremendously, but it was really hot (last week of October).
As Bateleur has air conditioning and sounds like a really lovely and peaceful camp, that is where we will go this time.
Can anyone tell me if all the bedrooms are air conditioned - we booked a six sleeper cottage.
Any recommendations on the best situated one?
Is the nature trail negotiable by a wheelchair, I know that the hide has a ramp.
Hope there is some rain before we go - has the waterhole in front of the hide ever dried up?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Naomi
I was in Bateleur last year, but it is also one of my favourites. Will be there again in January.

There are only 3 X 6 sleepers, no 1, 4 and no 7. No 7 is the only 6 bed with wheelchair access, so make sure they have booked you in there. You can speak to Lazarus (camp manager) at 013 7356843 about a week before your trip.

No 1 is closest (next to) the bird hide - but no wheelchair access.
The walking trail is not really geared for wheelchairs because it is just a sand / gravel path.
The hide has a ramp so it may be worth it to drive to the hide for a sun downer.

In the dry times the waterhole does dry up, but maybe with some rain in Oct or Nov you may be lucky.

You are right it is VERY hot in November and you can expect minimum averages of 19 and maximum of 33 (which can go to 38).
Airconditioners only in the main bedroom of each chalet - you will have to offer the main bedroom to mom!

Post subject: Bataleur Bushveld Camp
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:58 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanx for the info, but what do you mean by "wheelchair access"?
Is the interior of the chalet also wheelchair adapted?
Pics are always welcome. If possible, please post some.
We will obviously spend more time in camp than on the road (game drives will be short) - hope I made the right choice.
Considered Bateleur, Sirheni and Shimuwini and Bateleur won mostly because of the airconditioning, the three separate bedrooms and because we have never been there. (Also have never been to Shimuwini.)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Naomi
I mean that the access is 'wheelchair' friendly, with ramps to the entrance etc. I am not sure about the bathrooms, I will think that they should also be adapted, I have never been inside no. 7. I suggest you ask Lazarus, he will certainly know.
Maybe some other forumites will know?

Bateleur is the only bushveld camp with aircon, :o Shimuwini only have fans, although the one 6 bed unit also has 3 separate bedrooms, but not wheelchair friendly (steps etc.) I am sure you will not be sorry, it is a wonderful camp and the birdlife is amazing!

I think the hottest time of day should be spent at the camps although the aircon of a vehicle is often a saviour!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:51 pm 

The waterhole in front of the hide is dry at the moment, but there is however an artificial hole about 15 meters further on that gets filled.
During our recent stay there, we just strolled up to the hide one night as we had heard some animals in the bush along the fence.
Put my torch on the waterhole and found quite a-lot of buffs in and around the hole.
Only to be followed by a pair of Side striped jackals.
You also don't need to spend your whole day in the car.
Early morning and late afternoon drives up to Rooibosrand and silwervis dams can be very productive. Rooibosrand has some stunning sunsets and Roan, Sable, Eland, plus most of the big five bar the Rhino can be seen there.
Also lovely waterbirds.
Only drawback is that the far bank of the dam is some distance away, so don't leave without bino's (as we did one arvie :redface: I was too busy packing the cooler).
Sliwervis does give a bit more of a secluded feeling but also some lovely sightings.

Both are less than 30 min's from camp.

Just the sunset at Rooibosrand to water your lips.

Post subject: Bataleur Bush Camp
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:39 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

To Kingfisha:
Thanx again - I will definitely contact Lazarus. Knew about the 3 bedroom chalet at Shimuwini but it is almost never available and we want to stay all four nights in one camp.
To Wild-doc:
Appreciate the information on the waterhole and dams. We love to spend time in camp and I am a keen birder - never without my Newman's and bino's.
Stunning sunset - definitely made me even more excited about our trip.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:27 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Bravo Bateleur!
Congratulations to Lazarus and his team for winning the award for best Bush Camp.
We stayed there for four nights recently - our first visit to this camp.
I can easily understand why it was chosen as the best Bush Camp - everything is kept spotlessly neat and clean, but a very discreet way.
The personnel is friendly and extremely helpful.
And then there are little things that make the stay there very special.
Every night our camp attendant, Pepu, lit a lantern on the stoep.
Turn off all the lights and it creates a real "out of Africa" atmosphere.
She cleaned the braai every morning, washed and scrubbed it until spotless, including our own braai-grid.
In front of every chalet there is a bird bath.
These are also cleaned every morning and filled with fresh water - first time that I have seen that.
It seems that all the birdbaths are kept clean and filled, regardless of the amount of occupied chalets.
I followed the advice of placing a few ice cubes in the water and it worked like a charm.
We spent a lot of time in camp and had an endless parade of birds visiting the bird bath.
I will post under "Birds" at a later stage, got two lifers by just sitting on the stoep!
The areas around the chalets are swept regularly, but it was never done while we were there.
As I have said, everything is done with the least disturbance to the visitors.
The camp was so quiet you get the feeling of being all alone in the bush.
The few times that we went out for a drive we hardly encountered another car.
And the other nice thing is the two dams exclusively for Bateleur visitors. Rooibosrant is awesome for water birds and the scenery around Silvervis is just beautiful.
I can definitely recommend this camp - it is an experience not to be missed.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:16 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

My last visit was Nov 2006, the camp and camp manager are excellent, the birding and hide are unbelievable :D
Always something to see at Silwervis Dam and lots of great drives in the area, I am sure you will see plenty 8)
We visited Rooibosrant about 8.30 one morning and found this leopard
Image went back about 4pm and there it was in the tree and not another car in sight - magic.
Have a fantastic trip!
I am so :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next