Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Augrabies: Activities
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:14 pm 

The eight months I've spent here in the park have taught me a valuable lesson: Augrabies Falls National Park is much more than just a waterfall. We even have a poster that says just that, and it is completely true.

Many people come for just one day or stay one night, see the waterfall, and drive on to either Kgalagadi or Namaqua. That's such a shame, really, because we offer some quite fun things to do here which would take a couple days to fully experience: the Dassie Interpretive Hiking Trail, Game Drive, Night Drives, the Gariep 3-in-1 Adventure, and the Klipspringer Hiking Trail. And these are just eco adventures in the park itself! Outside the park, you can enjoy horseback riding, rafting, canoeing, 4x4ing, hiking, and relaxing in the local hot springs. To do all (or even just a couple) of these things takes several days so I encourage folks to plan for more than just a quick day visit if they have the time.

Dassie Interpretive Hiking Trail. The Dassie Trail is a 5km, self-guided, FREE, interpretive hiking trail loop which starts and ends at the Rest Camp. Brochures are available at reception which provide information in numbered paragraphs corresponding to numbered sites along the trail. Though the trail is only 5km, you should plan for at least two hours to complete the hike. Because the hike includes climbing over boulders and rocks, sturdy hiking shoes with good soles are highly recommended. A hat, sunscreen, insect repellent, sunglasses, and water are also highly recommended, and a camera and binoculars are a big plus.

Game Drive. A trip through our game drive area offers some fabulous views of the incredible geology in our park and the Orange River in the gorge. Don't be intimidated by the low water crossing when initially entering the game drive area: the water is usually not higher than 35cm and I haven't heard of anyone's getting stuck in the water. (This is not a guarantee, though, so decide once you see it. BTW, the road is cemented in that area without any potholes or such, so it's a completely smooth surface under the water.) Based on the different types of beauty, I recommend following this order of view points (as listed on the map distributed at Reception): Moon Rock, Echo Corner, Oranjekom, and Ararat. Expect only beautiful scenery, as that's what we're most well-known for, and then if you get to see some of our fabulous game along the way, that's just an added bonus! The game drive area is open at different times during the winter and summer, so ask at Reception when the gates open and close. The earlier in the morning you enter the game drive area, the better the chances are of seeing game along the way.

Night Drives. Night Drives must be reserved in advance at Reception no later than 4pm the same day. At least four people are required to have a Night Drive. We have quite a few nocturnal creatures in the park which are often seen during the Night Drives: black-backed jackal, bat-eared fox, small spotted genet, rabbits and hares. Often, some of our herbivores are also seen on Night Drives: gemsbok, giraffe, zebra, etc. A very nice bonus during our Night Drives is stopping at the highest point along the Swart Rante (Black Ridges) for some star gazing when the Ranger points out some of the constellations found here in the Southern Hemisphere.

Gariep 3-in-1 Adventure. This is a fantastic way to see some parts of the park which cannot be seen during a game drive. It involves a canoe trip down the Orange River (starting at Echo Corner), hiking up a dry river bed out of the gorge, and riding a mountain bike back to the Rest Camp. You should plan at least three hours for the entire trip. This adventure must be reserved at Reception the previous day and at least two people are required

Klipspringer Hiking Trail. For the highly adventurous and fit, the Klipspringer Hiking Trail is a must at some point! This 39.5km, 3-day hiking trail must be reserved in advance through Central Reservations (+27 (0)12 428 9111). A maximum of 12 people and a minimum of 2 people are allowed on the trail each day. The two overnights are spent in rustic 12-person huts with fresh water, matresses on the bunks, and FLUSHING TOILETS! (No showers, though.) In addition to the fresh water, the following is also provided: fire wood, braai grill, a pot for boiling water, and a small potjie pot. We're currently working on improving the signage along the trail, and we should have a very well-marked trail as soon as the new signs are finished at the print shop. (Many folks have hiked the trail this year without problems, but the signage has been the biggest complaint.)

Now you have some ideas of how to spend more than just a day at Augrabies Falls. For info on things to do outside the park, ask me or at reception upon arrival. Hope to see you soon in our beautiful park!

Post subject: GPS location of Klipspringer huts
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:07 pm 

Hi everyone

My family and I am hiking the Klipspringer 3 day trail at Augrabies in a week's time (starting 30-6-2008). Does anyone have the GPS locations of the 2 overnight huts - especially the 2nd night as it is apparently tricky to found.

Regards

Post subject: GPS info
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:04 pm 

If no answer on this page, you might email the
park. Seems like they might know.

augrabiesres@sanparks.org

Have a super hike.

Daan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:51 pm 

Hi Hennie,

Great to hear you're walking the Klipspringer, it's an awesome hike! I worked at Augrabies last year and in March I hiked the trail to get the GPS coordinates for several points along the trail.

The first hut (Fish Eagle) is located at approx.: S28 34 04,0 E020 18 09,9

The second hut is at: S28 32 48,4 E020 17 10,5

The second hut is not really difficult to find, although it is slightly hidden on the other side of a large koppie. Once you've begun walking through the dry riverbed at the end of day 2 the hut will be on your left after the last big right turn. You'll be able to spot it from the dry river.

have fun!!

Post subject: Cycling in Augrabies National Park
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:05 pm 

HI there.
Last time we went to Augrabies I remember we enjoyed driving around looking for game. We are going again in a few weeks time and I was wondering whether we will be able to cycle in the game park. Can anyone tell me whether this is permitted?
Thanks
Helen

Post subject: Re: Cycling in Augrabies National Park
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:03 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I would suggest you check here under the Park tab.

Just did it myself & they say cycling is not permitted. Sorry.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Helenw, a warm welcome to the forum here is a link that might answer your question Try also the index (Link in my signature)

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:45 pm 

hi,

I don´t kbnow if they still offer it, but for acouple of years, you could do in 3 in 1 Trail, which means cycling, canoeing and walking. But I´m not sure if they still offer that oppurtunity. Just ask in the NP by itself, they can help you.

Best Reagards

Malealea

Post subject: Re: Augrabies: Activities
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:12 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
One of the activities that's on offer is the Rock Engraving Drive.

Quote:
* Time: 11h00-14h00
(Booking to be made at least 2 hours before the drive)

* Cost: Currently R150.00 per person

And some examples what to be seen, except for antelope ect, during the 3 hours drive on the way to the two sites and back to camp.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:44 pm 
Guru
Guru

The gariep 3-1 adventure is not functional for more than a year now,the main problem is the bicycles as not everyone is handling them the same as well as the quality of these,there is also a not enought cano's,the one's which were use were these inflatables and the sun has leave there mark on them,there is only 2 fibre glass cano's.
Will find out more and let you know,

Post subject: Augrabies - Klipspringer trail
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:39 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Who has done the Klipspringer trail?
For those who do not know what it is, here (pdf) is a brochure about it.

But that is a little too little information. So seeking a bit more as we may do it this december.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Re: Augrabies - Klipspringer trail
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:35 am 
Guru
Guru

@DuQues I've done the trail myself the first day is ok, it is only the 2nd day which is difficult as there are a lot of climbing as well as walking over rocks on the bank of the river, this also takes you in a 3km dry river bed walking up to the 2nd hut.You were ahead with me with this thread as I want to put it up with more foto's. The trail is open from April untill the 15 of October, so in December it is close.
Here are a pic of the 2nd hut and how it look inside:
Name of hut:Berghut
DSC00085 by closed4, on Flickr

DSC00086 by closed4, on Flickr

I could not exess your link so don't know what you are looking for,wood is supply by rangers as well the cleaning of the huts,there is water at both huts which is Borehole water but save for consumption,it is a three day trail and are +- 10km each day, there is no showers at the huts,I'm sure other forumites who have perhaps done the trail could also comment.
This is the last section of the trail towards the hut
DSC00446 by closed4, on Flickr
The first hut:Visarend hut.
DSC00441 by closed4, on Flickr
The front view,sorry the sun was a bit in the foto.
DSC00443 by closed4, on Flickr
And then the trail start at the back of the hut:
DSC00445 by closed4, on Flickr
And then it proceeds over the ridge
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/77556446@N08/7138347019/
]Image[/url]
DSC00444 by closed4, on Flickrer the ridge:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:18 pm 
Guru
Guru

Above are some pic's of the klipspringer trail.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:29 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
:thumbs_up:

Post subject: Augrabies Night Drive
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:55 am 

HI all

we're in Augrabies for one night and wondered if it is worth doing a night drive. If so, do you know if we can book it in advance (we are in KTP for 8 nights beforehand).

Thanks for your help

MarieK
:lol: