Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Identification Help - Raptors
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:03 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Although many of them are large raptors can be tricky to identify especially the brown ones and the young ones. If you have a photo of a raptore which you battle to identify, this is the place to post it.

Remember only Raptors here. If you need a LBJ identified go here and for all other birds you can go here.

Last edited by francoisd on Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Identification Help - Raptors
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:15 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
I just want to thank all of the forumites who post their photos of Raptors, and all of the experts and experienced birders who take the time to assist in the identification of these wonderful airborne predators. You have helped my SO and I to become better at identification, and have provided a lot of enjoyment during the major part of the year when we can't be in a South African paradise. Keep up the great work that you all do! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:08 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

This is a great site for IDing birds!

Unread postPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:12 pm 

I recently attended a public lecture at the National Zoo, Boom Street, Pretoria, on this magnificent group of birds. The topic was 'Birds of Prey: their identification and behaviour' and the presenter was Ulrich Oberprieler. This lecture informed us on how to differentiate between the various species, how to get to know the specific groups, their habitat preferences and interesting behaviours. It was such an excellent lecture, well presented, outstanding photos, logical and systematic approach with a very good touch of humor. Not a moment of boredom. (An in-depth 3-day course is planned in June / July 2011)

The lecture was followed by a most enjoyable bring and braai, with them supplying fires, tables and chairs - for only R50.00 per person at the time - a fantastic outing in the middle of a city with the calls nocturnal animals and the sight of sleeping penguins around one. Highly recommended.
If you are not living in, or close to, Pretoria, take heart - buy Ulrich's raptor identification guide - The raptor guide of Southern Africa, Authors: Burger Cillie; Ulrich Oberprieler (and/or the Bird guide of Southern Africa by : B. Cillie and U. Oberprieler) available at leading bookstores or http://www.kalahari.net

For information on future lectures contact: Tel: 012 339 2700 / e-mail: info@nzg.ac.za,
or Rubeena Sampson on Tel: 012 339 2775 / e-mail: rubeena@nzg.ac.za.

Bokmakieriekie
(oh! why did I choose this 'alias' ? Bateleur would have been far more appropriate for this topic :doh: - except of course if we are talking insects...)

Post subject: Ex-Identification Help - Raptors
Unread postPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:24 am 

Can somebody tell me how to attach a photo onto this forum please.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:50 am 

Welcome to the forums, Mikemcbride :D

Please read this tutorial.

Post subject: Identification Help - Raptors
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:57 pm 

Hello everybody.
After one year I visited South Africa, I have some unidentified bird... :redface:

Krüger Park, late September 2012, not far from Skukuza, Sabie River

In these photos there is a large raptor, for me large as a White-backed Vulture (see pict #1), so I'm thinking it could be a Steppe Eagle... I think it is too large for tawny eagle, isn't it? )vulture up, mystery raptor below)

But pictures are not so good (bad!) and it was September (2012), so it was a little early for Steppe Eagle (???).

The bird seems to have a broken leg

thank you!!! :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:24 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

No picture, but...

How diagnostic is the call of an African Hobby?

I saw a small raptor in my neighbour's garden yesterday afternoon around 15:45. This is in Pretoria.

It was about 28-30 cm in size (only just larger than a Cape turtle dove). Legs and cere was yellow (not red), with maybe a tinge of grey. Upper breast streaked (dark streaks on a pale background -- it was in the shade so difficult to describe, but not pure white, maybe creamish or beige or may even have had a rufous tinge to it, but not pure rufous). However, it is not as heavily streaked as most illustrations of Eurasian hobby, and not nearly as thinly streaked as, for example, taita falcon. The streaking of most illustrations of juv. African hobby seems about right, only not on a pure rufous background. I couldn't see the vent and leggings. Back and wings were dark slate-grey with brown/rufous tinges. Underwing and undertail was striped from the glimpses I got of it while it flitted around inside the crown of a tall tree (against the sun of course). If anyone has "The bird guide of southern Africa" by Ulrich Oberprieler and Burger Cille, the picture of the Eurasian hobby (typical form) shown there is fairly representative of what I saw (In this case the streaking is not as heavy as most illustrations of Eurasian hobby, and I've found photos on the internet where the streaking is like this also), but it could also fit the typical form of the African hobby shown there (in this case not as rufous as most illustrations of African hobby). It was alone in a tree, and not in a flock or pair. It was too small, I think, to be a juvenile peregrine and not heavily streaked enough to be a juvenile lanner.

From the location, Pretoria, it seems more likely to be a Eurasian hobby rather than a pale form of the African hobby. Only problem is, the Eurasian hobby is supposed to be silent in southern Africa, and this one was calling incessantly. (The only reason I noticed it in the first place!). So I listened to all calls of falcons (and, just in case, small accipiters) I could find. The call matched exactly that of the African hobby included in the Roberts Birds app.

So what now? Is it likely to be an Eurasian hobby or an African hobby or something else entirely? Any ideas and suggestions?

:hmz:

Last edited by Dabchick on Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:44 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Very difficult to say Dabchick. From what you describe, it sure sounds like a Euro Hobby, but one can never rule out something like an African Hobby, which would be quite a rarity.

Unfortunately without photo evidence I doubt you will get a conclusive answer on this subject. :(

Hopefully it resurfaces and you can get photographic evidence?

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:56 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I was trying my best to get photographic evidence DotDan but it was in between and behind twigs the whole time and I just couldn't get a photo before it flew away.

But I'll certainly listen for it and grab the camera if I hear/see it again :lol:

Post subject: Unknown Raptors
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:41 pm 

Please help me with identifying these raptors (Western Cape). Excuse the photo that are'nt clear, the raptor was really far away.

http://i59.tinypic.com/15f6ir7.jpg
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=s2tv8y&s=8
http://i58.tinypic.com/35k1ts3.jpg
http://i58.tinypic.com/20ieups.jpg

Thanks I really appreciate it.

Last edited by Shazz111 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Unknown Raptors
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:43 pm 

:redface: Unknown to me!

Post subject: Re: Unknown Raptors
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

1Yellow-billed Kite- grey in the face, all yellow bill and forked tail which is banded.
2.Dark form of the Steppe Buzzard, Yellow legs, dark eye and very dark brown.
3.Jackal Buzzard rufous tail,dark upperparts.
Still have a look at the last one not sure

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:04 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
:hmz:

Looks like 3 YBKs and a Jackie to me.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:16 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
1, 2 and 3 are as Ladybirder indicated: YBK, dark morph Steppe and jackal buzzard. The last one looks like a Steppe as well.