Karoo: Animals

Addo, Camdeboo, Karoo, Mountain Zebra

Moderator: lion queen

Wild about cats
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Wild about cats » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:43 pm

The animals listed on the site are:
-Elephant shrew: Cape Rock, Smiths Rock, Round-eared.
-Shrew: Lesser Red musk, Forest, Lesser Dwarf.
-Bat: Slit-faced, Cape Serotine, Melck's Serotine.
-Monkey: Vervet.
-Baboon: Chacma
-Hare: Cape, Scrub.
-Rabbit: Smith's Red Rock, Riverine.
-Mouse: Pouched, Grey Pygmy Climbing, Pygmy, Grant's Rock, Namaqua Rock, Multimammate, Striped.
-Gerbil: Short-tailed, Hairy-footed.
-Rat: Karoo Bush, Saunders' Vlei.
-Dormouse: Speckled.
-Porcupine.
-Molerat: Common.
-Fox: Cape, Bat-eared.
-Otter: Cape Clawless.
-Polecat: Striped.
-Mongoose: Water, Small Grey, Yellow.
-Suricate.
-Genet: Small spotted.
-Aardwolf.
-Caracal.
-Wild cat: African.
-Aardvark.
-Hyrax: Rock.
-Rhino: Black.
-Zebra: Burchell's, Cape Mountain.
-Wildebbest: Black.
-Hartebeest: Red.
-Klipspringer.
-Steenbok.
-Gemsbok.
-Springbok.
-Kudu.
-Eland.
-Duiker: Common.
-Rhebuck: Grey.
-Reedbuck: Mountain.
Next SANPark: Mapungubwe 2015

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Letaba Ladies, 3rd Edition - '14 - '15

PThree

Rhino in Karoo ?

Unread postby PThree » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:05 pm

I have heard that there are black rhino in the Karoo NP as part of a joint venture with Nam Wildlife....can anyone confirm this for me please?

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Addo Elephant » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:23 am

Hi PThree

Yes, there are black rhino (Diceros bicornis bicornis subspecies) in Karoo NP. There are now four rhino, two of which were introduced this year from Namibia. Black rhino were first reintroduced into the Park in 2005.[/i]
Megan Taplin
Communications Manager: Frontier Region

Mant

Skink I.D needed

Unread postby Mant » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:57 pm

Hi,

Does anybody know what kind of skink this is from the Karoo National Park.

Thanks,

Samantha
Kruger 2015
Satara - 21-24 March

oddesy
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Skink I.D needed

Unread postby oddesy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:11 pm

looks like a breeding male western rock skink, due to the dark colouring, it also is common on rock outcrops in the karoo and namibia
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Olli

Is this Riverine Rabbit?

Unread postby Olli » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:02 pm

It took this picture in September 2008 in Karoo NP, during the last rays of daylight.

I just recently processed it, and posted on another forum, where some discussion about the ID is taking place. Can somebody here confirm if this is, or is not Riverine Rabbit, one of the most endangered mammals in the world.

- olli

Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Is this Riverine Rabbit?

Unread postby Imberbe » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:15 pm

No, it is not the Riverine Rabbit. Easy way to tell ... look at the white tail ... Riverine does not have a white tail.

It is either the Scrub hare or the Cape hair. Difficult to tell which one from this photo.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

louis dreyer
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Karoo Tortoises

Unread postby louis dreyer » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:42 am

according to SANparks website abour about Karoo NP they have 5 Tortoises. Im looking for more information about them please.
Keep them YR's flying

Planning next trip

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!

Stoffel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Karoo Tortoises

Unread postby Stoffel » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:35 pm

Louis

The Leopard tortoise (Bergskilpad) is obviously one of the five. I have also seen Angulate tortoise (Ploegskaarskilpad) and Tent tortoise (Knoppiesdopskilpad) in the park. Boulenger's Padloper (Karoo Padloper) will also be in the park as well as the Parrot-beaked Tortoise (Papegaaibekskilpad).
Chris Boucher

Stoffel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Stoffel » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:14 pm

Louis

My apology - I was wrong with the Parrot-beaked Tortoise (Homopus areolatus). It is the Greater Padloper (Groot Padloper - Homopus femoralis) which is also to be found in Karoo National Park.
Chris Boucher

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Addo Elephant » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:45 pm

The five tortoise species in Karoo NP are:

1.The leopard tortoise (Geochelone pardalis) – black dots on its earth-coloured shell give it its name;

2. The tent tortoise (Psammobates tentorius) – is equally distinct with yellow and black geometric designs on its shell;

3. The angulate tortoise (Chersina angulata) – the shell of this tortoise has slightly curved shields which give it the very apt name of “ploegskaarskilpad” (ploughshare tortoise) in Afrikaans;

4. The Karoo Padloper (Homotus boulengeri) - this is undoubtedly the most common tortoise in the Karoo and it is also often called the “donderweerskilpad” (thunder storm tortoise). Its great activity during stormy weather earns it this name – these tortoises seem to always take to the road when thunderstorms or bad weather is about and this has also led farmers to believe that tortoises head for the hills and high ground if flooding is imminent. Similarly dry seasons are indicated when these padloper (road walker) tortoises head away from the koppies into low lying areas.

5. The Greater Padloper (Homotus femoralis) – this is the larger cousin of the common padloper tortoise. It is easily identified as it has four claws on its front feet – all other tortoise species have five.
Megan Taplin
Communications Manager: Frontier Region

Stoffel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Predator-proof fence extended in Karoo National Park

Unread postby Stoffel » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:10 pm

I wish a spokesperson for the Karoo National Park, or Frontier Parks, or SANParks can inform us about the latest status regarding the planned release of cheetahs in the park. Can a moderator maybe "press on somebody's button" to give us an answer?

This has been coming on for a number of years now. The park fence has originally been electrified for the release of cheetahs. In the meantime lions and brown hyenas have been released. The speculation about the sustainability of the springbok population (foreseen to be the main prey for cheetahs in the park) has been raised on this forum before. But we never receive a clear and unadulterated reply.

I have once shared what I heard from one of the park's honorary rangers. Another forumite nearly stoned me (with words) and a spokesperson for the Frontier Parks (at that stage) said that it was not the full truth.

Thus - what is the situation regarding the planned release of cheetahs? And if the springbok population plays a role in this decision - what is the reason that their numbers apparently struggle to increase to desired levels?
Chris Boucher

FrontierPR
Guru
Guru

Unread postby FrontierPR » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:11 am

The introduction of cheetah into Karoo National Park is still on the cards. However, as we hope you can understand, any new introductions should be planned and carried out according to planning regimes and depend on the availability of resources.

A population - in this case, springbok, cannot recover in a short space of time of one to two years. Their numbers need to be monitored over a length of time to ensure that should cheetah be introduced, it won't put a possible additional strain on their numbers.

Please bear with us.

Fayroush Ludick
Communications Manager - Frontier Region

pedreh

Unread postby pedreh » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:16 am

Hi FrontierPR

The feedback given is much appreciated, I do have a couple of questions though.

Since the "Jackal removal" and the introduction of Springbok, have there been a count or estimate of the numbers? Are there any signs of numbers increasing?

I am a regular visitor to Karoo National Park and always watch the Sightings Thread but for some reason it is just not as active as some of the other smaller parks for example Augrabies and Mountain Zebra. Will this change in the future?

Do appreciate the time taken to answer everyone's questions.
Pedre

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Friedrich von Hörsten » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi Fayroush,

Thanks for the answer!

It still does not say very much -- in essence it is the same answer we have been receiving since the first news reports of the fence going up in time for the World Cup in 2010 -- every year we ask the same question, and evey year there is this same neutral answer without actually giving figures...

How about giving us the stats: Springbuck in 2010 = 500; 2011= 520; 2012 =600; 2013 =400 or whatever. Then we could understand your concern.

To put it another way -- you are happy to have 10+ lions in the park (surely they catch a springbuck or two even though it is not their main prey item), but not even 1 cheetah, that would eat far less than a lion... doesn't make sense to me.

Still, thanks for bothering to answer!

God bless,

Friedrich von Horsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

Return to “Frontier Parks”