Skip to Content

Kgalagadi: Info 4x4/Sedans and Car rentals

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
Tom124
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Car Choice for Kgalagadi

Unread postby Tom124 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:17 pm

Thanks Blackie and Hippotragus for your advice!
Back from beautiful Botswana - a long time to wait, but KNP and KTP planned for 2016!

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby lion queen » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:34 pm

Tom124 wrote:Hi all

My friend and I are excitedly making plans for a month-long stay in KTP in a few years time. Unfortunately, we're on something of a budget, so we'll be camping in the three main camps.

Hi Tom,

Just remember there are no communal freezers available, so you'll either have to buy a lot of ice every day to keep your stuff cold or you should maybe rather look at renting a fridge/freezer for your stay. A month can be long.

As you are only in the planning stages, which time of the year were you thinking of???

And do remember that only TR has 24 hours electricity. You might need a converter to charge your camera batteries etc during the day in the vehicle.

Please ask if there is any thing else.
SANParks Online Fans..........Where passion is pride!

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Tom124
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Tom124 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:55 pm

Hi LQ

Thanks for the tips. We were thinking of an August/September time stay, having spent the previous month in KNP. We'll definitely look at a converter. You're right, renting a fridge/freezer does seem more sensible - I'll start looking into it.

Thanks again
Back from beautiful Botswana - a long time to wait, but KNP and KTP planned for 2016!

AndrewGreenwood

Car hire in Upington

Unread postby AndrewGreenwood » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:58 pm

Good Evening,

I have been wanting to do a trip to Kgalagadi since I can remember,
and this year in between studying I have put aside enough money to finally go away in December.
The only problem is that I drive a sedan, and although I have read that it will be fine on the main roads I would really prefer to explore the park to a fuller extent - as who knows when I will be lucky enough to go up again.
I have done some "googling" for companies whom hire out 4x4s, and they are all way out of my price range (+- R400 per day).
I am hoping that someone will be able to suggest a more affordable car rental company.

Many Thanks and Kind Regards

Andrew Greenwood

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Car hire in Upington

Unread postby lion queen » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:11 pm

Hi Andrew,

R400 per day is very cheap!! In fact I would love it if you could pm me the details for those rentals! :thumbs_up:

Enjoy your trip! Kgalagadi is a magical place!!

AndrewGreenwood

Unread postby AndrewGreenwood » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:33 pm

Apologies for the confusion. R400 is what I am looking to spend per day, I realise this may be a stretch.

Andrew

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby lion queen » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:37 pm

Andrew in that case I don't think that I will have good news for you!! BUT I'll try and find out if there is someone that might be of help??

Else I'll send you the info that I have and then you can make a decision.

AndrewGreenwood

Unread postby AndrewGreenwood » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:45 pm

Great :)

Thank you very much

Jembo

Unread postby Jembo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:50 am

Andrew, don't let not having a 4x4 put you off - particularly for your first time experience! There is plenty to see from the main roads and the smells and the Kalahari atmosphere (which is a huge reason why I keep going back) are no different when you are in a sedan. Divide your time between Mata Mata and Nossob and drink it all in! You can then suss out your options for future visits and I can guarantee you won't be disappointed.Good luck!

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:30 pm

Agree with Jembo. The only camps you can't access in a sedan are Bitterpan and Gharagab, all the rest of the park (SA side) is accessible with a sedan. While some prefer a higher clearance vehicle, I actually prefer a sedan, where you are more on eyeball level with most animals :D I have always visited in a sedan -- for me, as a solo traveller, the costs of a 4x4 or similar are prohibitive and I'd rather spend my money on more nights in the park -- and I've never felt that I was missing out. :dance:
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
16-28 November Cape Town
29 November-20 January Darling

carolv
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Mokala: getting there and away

Unread postby carolv » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:25 pm

Hi Friedrich,

I was just about to open a new thread with some questions on the Arid parks when I read your thread so have decided to ask them here.

For personal reasons we have had to wait a few years before planning a trip to KTP but when we returen to RSA in December we will start with 3 weeks KNP, New Year at Hazyview, 2 days to get ourselves to Augrabies, then 3 weeks in KTP and finish with 4 night at Lilydale in Mokala.

Whilst we would love to rent a 4x4, the cost for almost 2 months is jawdropping and we really want to ask those who are so familiar with the last 3 Parks (all of which will be new to us) is how risky would it be to keep a 4x2 for the entire time. We thought the one hiccup would be the 3 nights we have at Gharagab rather than the 4 nights at Lilydale. Advice please? We have considered stopping off between KNP and Augrabies at Tambo airport to change vehicles but are concerned both at the cost of the 4x4 rental and the time we will lose having to detour via Tambo.

Our other question is getting fuel in KTP - would we need to take a special container and carry a fuel can with us?

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Friedrich von Hörsten » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:11 pm

Hi CarolV,

Sounds like you are going to have one amazing holiday! Wow!
I can't give you all the answers... you should also post on the Kgalagadi forum...
3 weeks in Kruger in December = fantastic! We also plan to do the same, God Willing, and may even see you there!
I have never had a 4x4 in my life, and have done overlanding all the way to Lake Victoria... so a 4x4 is NOT vital to enjoying life. Got a teeny Daihatsu Terios lately, but haven't used it in too difficult terrain anyway...

Gharagab = ONLY for 4x4, so you do have a problem.

You could swap it for another camp, and go 2x4 all the way, or check if you could swap vehicles with the same rental company in Upington (usually charge extra fee for that) for a 4x4 for Kgalagadi...
I NEVER take extra fuel to Kgalagadi, but if you are nervous, take a jerry can along...

Please keep some kind of report/log of your amazing adventures -- everybody loves to hear about those experiences!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Ps. Enjoy the planning... part of the fun!
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

carolv
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby carolv » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:34 pm

Many thanks Friedrich. We will have our camps for everywhere on the appropriate Meets and Greets in due course. It would be lovely to meet up with you again

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Son godin » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:08 pm

carolv,

You won't require a 4x4 for Mokala, except if you want to go fly-fishing at the river below Lilydale. The road to the park can be corrugated, but no 4x4 necessary. Agree with the comments from Friedrich that the roads are not the best and you will be require to drive slow.

Your only problem is reaching Gharagab and for that I won't drive it in any other vehicle than a 4x4.

Fuel in KTP can be a problem over school holidays, e.g. during Easter weekend TR had no diesel, but usually you won't be stranded for more than 2 days. If the jerry can be mounted on the outside of the vehicle you can consider it, but other wise remember to fill-up when the tank is half full.

You are going to be in for very hot weather in the Northern Cape and KTP, so remember to take enough water along. Enjoy. :thumbs_up:
Trip Reports - Painted, spotted and striped animals of the Koppies, TT of Three Arid Parks near Namibia in April 2015

PNF
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby PNF » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:18 am

Hi Carol
Lovely trip that you're planning!
With regards to Mokala - access road was OK when we were there in May but this can get corrugated very quickly.
Agree with Son Godin and Friedrich - Gharagab is a no go without 4 x 4. How about trying to get into Grootkolk instead? Would suggest that you book a 4 x 2 with high clearance, especially for KTP. We have seen ordinary salon cars there but they have battled with the roads. We usually take 25l jerry can of fuel in case the pumps run dry but have only used it once. Take plenty of 5l water bottles (obtainable in Upington) as water is more expensive than fuel in KTP!
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

Us and The Ant:
Shingwedzi 20 - 24 Aug
Tsendze 24 Aug - 5 Sept

Return to “Arid Parks”