Skip to Content

Kgalagadi: Info 4x4/Sedans and Car rentals

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld

Moderator: hilda

Scops

Kalahari : Gharagab - 4x4 needed

Unread postby Scops » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:04 pm

hi Forumites, as a long time lurker on the SANParks forum I have to say what an amazingly friendly and helpful place this is ! The advice I got from the forums really helped make our KNP trip last year.

This year we are going to KTP (I went once in 1989 so am really looking forward to it and have talked it up big time to my fiancee). Even July/Aug/Sept is seriously booked up and I am having to take what I can get rather than what I want. But that doesnt really concern me as having read up on here, I think all the camps offer something different.

The query I would like to sort out once and for all is whether we can get to Gharagab in my Subaru Forester which has AWD, not 4x4. I need to make sure its practical I also want to check that I wont get stopped by the park officials :D I know this has been covered before, but I have read conflicting advice and stories and would love an "official" opinion. (sorry for the long post :think: )

Thanks in advance everyone :dance:

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Re: Kalahari : Gharagab - 4x4 needed

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:39 pm

Welcome to this side of the forum Scops.

The best person to answer your question(s) would be Kgalagadi Guru, as he would be the one to administer any fine if applicable. :roll:

Better pop into his office at 2R to say hi, as well.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Kgalagadi Guru
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Kgalagadi Guru » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:49 am

Hi there Scops,

Welcome to the forum, hope you will have a great time here.

Regarding your question on the 4x4, unfortunately only 4x4 vehicles will be allowed to drive on the road to Gharagab.

If thereis anything else I can help with please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

KG
Head: Field Guiding
Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
jan.kriel@sanparks.org

Scops

Unread postby Scops » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:34 am

hi Kalahari Guru, (and BB)

thanks so much for getting back to me so promptly !
At least I know where I stand with Gharagab, and will plan accordingly.

Hopefully I can get some consecutive nights in Nossob and head to Union's End as I find just the name conjures up some interesting images and memories. (Sort of like Crooks Corner in KNP)

cheers
Scops

Graham Dyer

Unread postby Graham Dyer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:41 am

Well, technically the Subaru Forester is a 4x 4, some versions even have low range.
TrailsGuide20yrs, Parks visited: KNP(250+visits),MasaaiMara,Amboseli,Samburu,Chobe,Moremi,Savuti,S.Luangwa,Hwange,ManaPools,SkelCoast,Etosha, Mabua,CntrlKalahari,KTP,Khutsi,Hluhluwe/iMf,Mkuzi,Ndumu,Ithala,SabiSands,Addo,Madikwe,Pilanesbrg,Gonarezhou

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:47 am

Union's End is not as pretty as Crooks' Corner Scops, but the lions like the picnic area, and that of Lijersdraai too.
The area is usually quite well grassed and cheetah love to hunt up there.

Apart from one or two slightly sandy patches, it is easily accessible to all vehicles.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Spikes

Unread postby Spikes » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:37 pm

Hi Scops,

I'm convinced your Subaru will take the Gharagab road in its stride - only the way out from Gharagab is more difficult, that is when you cross the dunes.

The most important aspects are (i) tyre pressure (max 1.2 bar so watch out for low profiles!) (ii) momentum and (iii) ground clearance.

We (4 adults) were there in a Nissan X-Trail. Spend at least two nights and you'll come back again and again. Wonderful place.

Spikes

Scops

Unread postby Scops » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:07 pm

hi everyone, thanks for your replies....

however it looks like we will be going back to KNP as KTP is solidly booked for July to Sep already (well the Nossob and Grootkolk camps). I am desperate to go there, so will have to just book 12 months in advance like my folks used to have to do in school holidays :lol:

cheers
Scops

kavita

4X4 rental

Unread postby kavita » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:54 am

Hi all,

We are looking to rent a 4X4 from Upington for our trip to KTP in December.We have received a couple of quotes (Mostly on Hilux double cabs with fridge) from local companies in Upington. I am unable to find any reviews of these companies. Can anyone share their experience or recommendations of rental companies? Please feel free to PM me.
Thanks.

katanga

Re: 4X4 rental

Unread postby katanga » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:40 pm

Kavita

I don't think we are supposed to discuss specific companies here but feel free to PM me and will try find out from some of my expert colleagues. However from what I know if you use many of the main stream rental companies in Uppington they are quite reputable.

Good luck. When are you going ?

Tom124
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Car Choice for Kgalagadi

Unread postby Tom124 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:01 pm

Hi all

My friend and I are excitedly making plans for a month-long stay in KTP in a few years time. Unfortunately, we're on something of a budget, so we'll be camping in the three main camps. We're going to rent a car in Upington and drive up the next morning. I was wondering how many roads we will be able to drive safely in a 2X4 (a Hyundai Atos)? I've heard stories of corrugation etc and I wouldn't like a hefty insurance excess on the car!

One more question, if I may. We're needing to buy a coolbox and a fair amount of food in Upington. Can anyone recommend a decent place to do this?

Many thanks for any help - I'm sure these are the first questions of many I'm going to have to ask!
Back from beautiful Botswana - a long time to wait, but KNP and KTP planned for 2016!

Blackie

Re: Car Choice for Kgalagadi

Unread postby Blackie » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:46 am

Welcome to the Forum!

Although a 4x4 is not required for the roads between the 3 main camps in KNP, a vehicle with a high ground clearance is recommended, mainly due to the high road sides to gain a better viewing. Something like a SUV (Sport Utility Vehicle) is normally recommended.

As for stocking up supplies, Upington has a PicknPay that will have most of the stuff you will require, including bottled water which is recommended in view of the water in KNP not recommended for drinking. You can also contact them beforehand to place your order to ensure it is ready for pickup when you arrive in Upington. Visit their website: http://www.picknpay.co.za from where you can also do online shopping or search for the items required.

Enjoy your visit to KNP - it is indeed a magic place!

Blackie.
March/April 2013: Frontier Parks here we come!

Blackie

Unread postby Blackie » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:50 am

Kavita, if I am not mistaken, I think LionQeen on the forum stays in Upington so it could we worthwhile to send her a PM for advice.

Blackie.
March/April 2013: Frontier Parks here we come!

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby lion queen » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:16 am

Hi Yes I'm from Upington, and I do have a few telephone numbers of 4X4 companies, but my biggest problem is that we did not hire 4X4's from that many of them, so I can't really give an indication on how trustworthy all of them are. What I can say is that Upington is not that big a town, so I do know most of these people personally.

You are welcome to pm me and I'll forward you the telephone numbers.

As with any motor vehicle companies, I don't think there is a guarantee that nothing will go wrong with the vehicle. So you'll most probably end up with people saying I had a terrible experience and others saying it was the best ever.
SANParks Online Fans..........Where passion is pride!

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Car Choice for Kgalagadi

Unread postby Hippotragus » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:18 pm

As Blackie says, a large 4x4 vehicle is not essential for visiting the 3 main camps in KTP. However, many part of the roads have very high banks and your visibility beyond the sides of the roads will be much improved if you have a higher vehicle. Also, remember you will be packing water, food (and probably charcoal and wood) in addition to your clothes and you will need space for all that.

We travel in a 4x4 bakkie (pick-up) and, because we have the space, we fill it inside and on top with all our clobber (just for 2 of us). We also appreciate the height for game-viewing and I think it probably copes better with the corrugations than a small car would.

Maybe chat to the car hire people and see what they say - I'm sure you won't be the first person taking one of their vehicles to KTP.

You will have a wonderful trip, whatever vehicle you decide on.
Paul Kruger Gate (day visitor) 24-28 August 2015
Skukuza 14-18 October 2015
Satara 18-21 October 2015

Return to “Arid Parks”