SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: We, the Braai Masters of the SA Parks
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
September is spring time in SA and a lot more braai activity will happen under the open sunny skies of SA. In all of our National Parks a Braai is provided at each accommodation unit or a person can hire a cadac at the picnic spots to cook food. Because it is such a crucial and important way of cooking and preparing food in the national Parks of South Africa, I believe we are all “Braai Masters” of some kind - not referring to male or female persons specifically but to the person behind the Braai – when we are in the SA Parks.

I am best at braaiing boerewors, tjops, chicken, garlic bread, making breakfast at the picnic spots and brewing moerkoffie in a coffee pot on the braai grid over the coals. I am less good/successful in braaiing or cooking steaks, bigger meat cuts, potjiekos, vegetables, fish and sea food, stir fries, skilpadjies, baking bread :doh: or making pudding :doh: , etc, etc on the braai or cadac

When you are in the Parks when do your family/loved ones/friends call you the Braai Master – in other word which food is/are your signature specialty :P on the Braai?

Post subject: Re: We, the Braai Masters of the SA Parks
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

What a great thread! :clap: :clap:

Steak has to be what I am best at, my favourites being a T-bone or Rib eye cooked rare to medium over a hot fire. I am also good at wors, chops, chicken, sossaties, braaibroodjies, Mielies in tinfoil cooked in the coals.

I am not so good with Roester koek, potatoes done in the coals, pap and pork sausages on the skottel.

looking forward to hearing more :mrgreen:

Bro & Sis Road Trip V2 in September

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

As I am from the UK and doing a Braai is not something we are good at :( But I have to say or my SO said my T bone i did at CB were scrummy :D Not been very adventures but have bought the book Best South African Braai Recipes. So I will be prepared in May. Also my getting the thing started at Satara was a disaster but have perfected it now. We have had some great weather for a change so had time to perfect. :tongue:

7-11 Satara
12-15 Olifants
16-19 Lower Sabie
20-22 Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
We are the Braai masters when it comes to fillet steak. Medium to well, with baked potatoes (in tin foil) and a cucumber, tomato and feta cheese salad. It is always our first meal in the park :roll: :wink: :wink: :wink: . We don't have a braai every night BUT we do make a fire and then I make the most delicious :shock: stews in my flat bottomed cast iron pot.

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:13 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
My Grandmother made the best pap in a three legged pot over the braai coals, she remains the Master in that category in our family to this day. Likewise my Grandfather remains the Braai Master in our family for braaing karmenaadjies (ribs). As children in Kruger Grandmother allowed us to eat them with our hands provided we wash our hands, arms and faces properly afterwards. If the washing was done properly, as we always did according to her, she gave us coffee that she brewed over the braai coals adding a generous spoon of condensed milk. Our nephew always got another spoonful as she said he suffered from low sugar and that we should always take good care of him and we never questioned her wisdom. My nephew remains a very healthy man to this day – no low sugar or low blood.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:26 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Nothing like a braai 8)

An impromptu forum meet at Punda. (That is not MM)

Give me tin foil wrapped tatties, onions and any bit of meat and I am as happy as a pig in .... This is the best though, a perfect setting and like minded company.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:17 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I find the key to a good braai depends on the quality of the meat.
If you put some decent meat on, it will be good, of not..... don't expect it to be awesome.

Sushin, not wanting to sound a bit racially stereotyping. :redface:
But most of my English friends think that burgers and sausages constitutes a bbq (as it is called here). No it does not! Steak, chops, chicken and maybe those few items on the side. But those are the fillers! Not the main event :wink:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:00 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
My so braais the best "flattie" ever... with chips..... dieet out he window ..... wait a minute I have never been on a dieet.......

Flattie: How do you discribe it...... flat chicken (spatcock I think they call it)

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
spargish wrote:
What are these Flat bottomed and three legged pots you speak of???? I only know Potjies :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: 8)

A thoughts from Jan Braai's latest book

With a combination of a few of these things. Salt, pepper, Oil, paprika, chilli powder, soy sauce, a few spices, a herb here or there and a cold one you can create an awesome braai with any cut of meat

spargish, my flat bottomed cast iron pot is a potjie pot without legs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:06 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Grantmissy wrote:
Meandering Mouse wrote:
tin foil wrapped tatties

:hmz: what is that now :hmz: :hmz:

My family has Scottish origin and my grandfather would always call potatoes "tatties". I can still hear my grandmother telling me to eat up my tatties.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
MM thank you for telling us what tatties are, I would have never guessed that it is potatoes. I thought it is perhaps patties like in hamburgers. Your Grandfather knew what great food is as potatoes are brilliant made between the braai coals.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:11 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
spargish wrote:
With a combination of a few of these things. Salt, pepper, Oil, paprika, chilli powder, soy sauce, a few spices, a herb here or there and a cold one you can create an awesome braai with any cut of meat

Spargish with those ingredients the person behind the braai can cook food that will please all who are very hungry when in one of the SA Parks whether it is in the bush, karoo veldt, Kalahari or sitting next to the Ocean watching dolphins and whales in one of the Cape Parks . I think the days of only braaiing tjoppies and wors are gone forever. These days people are much more creative behind the braai fire –often with very pleasing results. Those not eating any animal products are way up there using the braai to prepare a variety of good food. I have eaten this past July in Kruger great vegetable sosaties that was prepared on the braai - basted with a Mozambican style Peri-Peri sauce.

Btw, I saw the book that you referred to in all of the Parks Shops in the Kruger Camps when we visited in July.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:16 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Has anyone made a braai pie? A roll of ready made puffed dough that you fill on one side with fresh torn spinach leaves, mushrooms, onions and garlic fried in butter and left to cool, and grated mozzarella cheese. Fold the other side over the filling, seal the sides thoroughly and braai the pie over medium to cool coals until the pastry is puffed and done. It is best to use a separate grid that will help you turn the pie and that the grid rest on an adjustable rack to control the heat from the fire. You need to stay at the braai fire and watch the braai pie until it is fully cooked and ready to eat. A person can use any filling that you like and it is easy to experiment a bit.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:39 am 

I have had one of those at a braai with my vegetarian daughter and they are delish, Grantmissy :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Grantmissy wrote:

Spargish with those ingredients the person behind the braai can cook food that will please all who are very hungry when in one of the SA Parks whether it is in the bush, karoo veldt, Kalahari or sitting next to the Ocean watching dolphins and whales in one of the Cape Parks . I think the days of only braaiing tjoppies and wors are gone forever. These days people are much more creative behind the braai fire –often with very pleasing results. Those not eating any animal products are way up there using the braai to prepare a variety of good food. I have eaten this past July in Kruger great vegetable sosaties that was prepared on the braai - basted with a Mozambican style Peri-Peri sauce.

Btw, I saw the book that you referred to in all of the Parks Shops in the Kruger Camps when we visited in July.

I don't think they are gone for ever. You cant go wrong with braaing a Tjoppie with some salt and pepper and some juicy wors!! :mrgreen:

I haven't] made a braai pie yet, but its definitely on the to do list !

Crested Val wrote:

The same Saffie friend also introduced us to "surprise packages", which we still do to this day.
It is exactly what it says...........the cook just cuts up and puts various seasoned veggies in tin foil, and places in the coals, and the rest of us don't know until we unwrap it, what we will be getting!!

Oh now I'm homesick again..............roll on November!!! :whistle:

That reminds me of the tings we used to make back when I was a Cub. The were called pressure packs. We would make a pocket out of tinfoil add some meat and veggies, some rice, a liitle bit of stock cube and a little water. Seal up the pcoket properly and chuck the bag on the coals, an hour or 2 later you had a very tasty casserole type dinner.

Bro & Sis Road Trip V2 in September