Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Golden Gate Highlands - management
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:06 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi Joel, here are the answers to the questions you had listed.

1) The cacti at BCV is identified along with other plants to the removed/treated by the Biodiversity Social Projects team (Alien Plants team). The problem with prickly pear is the aggressive vegetative nature. If the plant is cut a piece is left in the veld and it will grow. Due to the cold conditions Bio control agents will not work. We will use chemical inject to dry out the plants.

2) There are both proper houses and informal dwelling/mud structures found within the previously known QwaQwa Nature Reserve. Once the land claim process is completed and the residents are moved out of the park to the mutually settlement areas, the house will be renovated for staff use and the informal dwelling after being documented and photographed will in all probability demolished. Please note that they are a significant part of the QwaQwa Nature Reserves history spanning more than 20+ years therefore proper documents and advice will be sort before any work is done on these dwellings.

3) There are plans via the Maloti Drakensberg Trans frontier Programme (MDTP) to through contractual agreements with the local and tribal authorities to one day link up with Royal Natal Nature Reserve. To my knowledge thus I stand to be corrected, there are no immediate plan to link with Sterkfontein due to the complexity of such an arrangement and also from a species representation point of view. It would be more important to look at the conservation of the high altitude grassland communities between Royal Natal and Golden Gate.

4) There are no immediate plans to reintroduce predators to the park.

Tel: (012) 426 5202

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:52 am 

Many thanks for the detailed responses Lesego.
Have a great week.

Post subject: How are Rondavels equipped?
Unread postPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:47 pm 

Hi, Haven't been to Golden Gate for a while and am wondering about how well the rondavels are equipped. What is in the kitchen?
Unfortunately most KNP rondavels rarely have what they are supposed to have or are equipped to a bare minimum, and am wondering if Golden Gate has suffered the same fate,.

Peter

Post subject: Re: How are Rondavels equipped?
Unread postPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:21 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi PeterKb. We have found the Golden Gate rondavels to be equipped with basic utensils, cutlery and crockery similar to those in Kruger. We usually take some things extra such as a sharp knife and a can opener.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I always take my own braai tongs - anywhere.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:32 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
We always take a sharp knife for cooking, and steak knives if we are eating any meat (which we always are!!)
Like BB we always take our own braai tongs, and we also take our own coffee plunger, a plastic jug and a few plastic bowls for mixing salads etc. Otherwise there is usually enough stuff provided. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:51 pm 

I just came back Golden Gate (stayed for the weekend in Clarens).
The grasslands were beautiful but I wanted to draw attention to park management about the following points:

1- Holkrans walk: I was disappointed with the litter (beer bottles, bricks, scrap metal and signs lying on the ground - uncovered by recent fire burn) and the white poplar seedlings / flowering black wattles up the first stream / kloof on the left. These invasive could cost a lot more to eradicate at a later stage: should be a priority now.
2- A couple a car carcasses are visible in the bush nearby the first farm homestead towards the QWA QWA section - any plan to remove them (alongside the litter) ?
3- I counted about 150 sheeps + 100 cattle + 40 donkeys in the eastern valley - do these belong to land claimants or residents ? is this park policy?
4- the management at the Basotho village is terrible - restaurant closed until further notice, shaded car parkings at the closest to entrance for employees (?!?). Something should be done to be more tourist-friendly, otherwise I fear this is going to become a missed opportunity...
5- Visual impacts / sense of place: several parks overseas have buried their electric powerlines. is this something contemplated for Golden gate? It could create temporary jobs and significantly improve the skyline of many areas of the park.

Many thanks

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:00 pm 

I forgot to ask a question.

1- The GGHNP management plan states "Grazing management both past and present has adversely affected both fauna and flora in the wetland ecosystem." What are the impacts of the herd of 15 -20 horses grazing the river beds and wetlands near the west entrance to the park?
2- What have been the results of all the plans drawn up a few years ago (ecological integrity, fire management, alien species control, etc.)?

Thanks

Post subject: Golden Gate Highlands NP - improved management?
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:48 am 

I just came back Golden Gate (stayed for the weekend in Clarens).
The grasslands were beautiful but I wanted to draw attention to park management about the following points:

1- Holkrans walk: I was disappointed with the litter (beer bottles, bricks, scrap metal and signs lying on the ground - uncovered by recent fire burn) and the white poplar seedlings / flowering black wattles up the first stream / kloof on the left. These invasive could cost a lot more to eradicate at a later stage: should be a priority now.
2- A couple a car carcasses are visible in the bush nearby the first farm homestead towards the QWA QWA section - any plan to remove them (alongside the litter) ?
3- I counted about 150 sheeps + 100 cattle + 40 donkeys in the eastern valley - do these belong to land claimants or residents ? is this park policy?
4- the management at the Basotho village is terrible - restaurant closed until further notice, shaded car parkings at the closest to entrance for employees (?!?). Something should be done to be more tourist-friendly, otherwise I fear this is going to become a missed opportunity...
5- Visual impacts / sense of place: several parks overseas have buried their electric powerlines. is this something contemplated for Golden gate? It could create temporary jobs and significantly improve the skyline of many areas of the park.
6- The GGHNP management plan states "Grazing management both past and present has adversely affected both fauna and flora in the wetland ecosystem." What are the impacts of the herd of 15 -20 horses grazing the river beds and wetlands near the west entrance to the park?
7- What have been the results of all the plans drawn up a few years ago (ecological integrity, fire management, alien species control, etc.)?

Many thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7