Skip to Content

How many birds on your list

Identify and index birds in Southern Africa
DotDan
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: How many birds on your list

Unread postby DotDan » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:27 pm

I was a twinkle in my dads eye then... He was ticking off a list alright.. :twisted:

Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Batmad » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:32 pm

Trevor Hardaker wrote:
Batmad wrote:Well done on that Amsterdam Albatross Trevor! An amazing find and record for SA! :clap: :clap:

As a matter of interest- When did you start your SA Life list? :D

Thanks Badmad... :thumbs_up:

Looking back at my notes, my first dates for lifers are from early in 1982, so I wasn't even double figures in my age yet... :shock:

Heavens alive :shock: ...And when did you do your birding big year? :hmz:
Avid birder, wildlife enthusiast and photographer with a special interest in Bats and Birds

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds

Trevor Hardaker

Unread postby Trevor Hardaker » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:21 pm

Batmad wrote: ...And when did you do your birding big year? :hmz:

I've never actually started any year off consciously aiming to do a Big Year, but twice, a little way into the year, I've realised that I already had a reasonable list, so should give it a decent go...

In 1997, aged 24, I did it the first time and managed to get 802 species. Again, in 1999, I did it a second time and scored 810 species. It's not quite up to Niall's score of 826 in 2011, but one must also remember back when I did these big years, a lot of species hadn't been split yet, so I had a lower overall target list to work with... :wink:
Trevor Hardaker

Last SA lifer: Angolan Swee - 29 Apr '15 - Kunene region, Namibia
Last World lifer: Black Bush Robin - 26 Mar '15 - Yotvata, Israel

My wildlife pics and reports: www.hardaker.co.za

Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Batmad » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:06 pm

That certainly is amazing Trevor! :clap: :clap:

...And its your record im trying to beat then? :wink: Wow, never knew that :D
Avid birder, wildlife enthusiast and photographer with a special interest in Bats and Birds

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds

KobusF

Unread postby KobusF » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:30 am

Batmad wrote:Howzit Pete,

Gauteng is an amazing place to do birding and if one knows the best localities for birding it can be highly productive! Maybe a few other Gauteng birders can join and we can make an outing of it :wink:

I'm in. That is a great idea. If it is possible i would like to join u guys. I can learn a lot from you and and the same time get a few lifters as well.
13/6 tot 16/6 2015 Mopani
17/12 tot 21/12 2015 Onder Sabie
27/12 tot 2/1 2016 Letaba

Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Batmad » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:51 pm

Just inbox Matt and I your dates and we can talk :D

adrianp
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby adrianp » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:03 pm

The list crawl continues... I'm on 598.... I need to find a memorable bird for 600.

If I am ever to get to 700, I'm going to have to travel to the southern ocean, kunene river, eastern highlands and mocambique if I want some more easy lifers, as my RSA list of unseen birds is shinking!

huntsman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby huntsman » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:48 pm

Ja nee...

Please put me down for 467. :rtm: :D
A bird in the hand...belongs in the bush!

Canon 7D / Canon 100-400mm 4.6-5.6 IS EF / Canon 28-85mm 2.8 EF

Pawps

Unread postby Pawps » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:36 am

I would love to join your group but unfortunately I now live on the wrong side of the Indian Ocean!! I can recall my various weekends down to the Lowveld (in my previous life before marrying an Aussie) when I could see over 200 species in a weekend, and with our September trip to Kruger imminent, I'm hoping to get a list of 200+. My question is this though - how do you get a "confirmed" hit? If my performance on the bird challenges is anything to go by, I'll be wrong around 25-30% of the time! I know a lot of birds are quite obvious, but there are so many LBJ's and raptors that don't sit still long enough! So do you ask each other for verification, or how does this work? I'd love to get that 200 number but suspect a lot of my ID's may be off the mark!

huntsman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby huntsman » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:00 pm

Easy question from my own point of view, pawps -

I only record it at a 'lifer' if I get enough view to ID it beyond reasonable doubt in my own mind. Even if I am with an expert birder which is often the case, I stick to the above criteria, though I will use their input to get me close.

I will also take a call to record a lifer as with eg Green-backed Cameroptera. (Again, only if I am certain)

This is what I employ and I'm sure there will be many birders that disagree, but I think the main issue is trust: If you really believe you have ID'd the bird correctly, then so must we... :wink:
A bird in the hand...belongs in the bush!

Canon 7D / Canon 100-400mm 4.6-5.6 IS EF / Canon 28-85mm 2.8 EF

Pawps

Unread postby Pawps » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:30 am

Huntsman, I agree. We only kid ourselves if we misrepresent things. I'm sure that when I used to run a tally when I was birding in SA years ago, I counted some that I no doubt got wrong, but this would have been through lack of knowledge, over-enthusiasm or both. And I never shared my count with anybody, it was just for me. I would pencil into the margins of my old Roberts where I had seen various species as a reminder. My favourite spot was Vaalkop dam from sunrise.......beautiful prolific place.

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:57 am

SO and I have a rule, for a bird to on the list we both have to see it and both be 100% certain of the ID. Any doubt it doesn't go on and if one of us didn't see it, doesn't count.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

adrianp
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby adrianp » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:07 pm

OK, I'm now on 599.... would love to get a shoebill or African Pita for 600 :pray:

But I don't think I'll find one in George :roll:

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:13 pm

er shoebill is not on the Southern African list adrianp :roll:

But the Angola cave chat is. Better hope for strong winds up in Cunene area pointing towards George........
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Trevor Hardaker

Unread postby Trevor Hardaker » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:37 pm

adrianp wrote:OK, I'm now on 599.... would love to get a shoebill or African Pita for 600 :pray:

But I don't think I'll find one in George :roll:

Don't give up on the African Pitta just yet... they do turn up as vagrants from time to time and there are records from down as far as Port Elizabeth and even one record for the Western Cape province from a couple of hundred kilometres west of George, so you are halfway in between those two and therefore must still be in with a chance... :lol:
Trevor Hardaker

Last SA lifer: Angolan Swee - 29 Apr '15 - Kunene region, Namibia
Last World lifer: Black Bush Robin - 26 Mar '15 - Yotvata, Israel

My wildlife pics and reports: www.hardaker.co.za

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”