Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 2249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128 ... 150  Next
 Post subject: Re: How many birds on your list
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:47 am 

Hi, i'm new here, you can put mine down as a modest 108, going to try and up it each month with 5 new ones. :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:42 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Welcome to the forum jjboth.

108 means you still have a lot more 'WOW" moments to experience than most of us. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:57 am 

Thanks Bush Baptist, got 2 lifers yesterday, what a feeling!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:58 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I haven't updated my total here in yonks. In December I've managed to add five lifers (American Golden Plover, Grey Kestrel, Gull-billed Tern, Sharp-tailed Starling and Shelley's Sunbird) on a Namibian trip but disaster struck on the final day when my laptop was stolen and with it my entire birding database.

That gave me the opportunity though to sit down and recount and audit my entire list again and after half a year I finally know my total again :D Make that 841.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:45 pm 

It is never a great feeling when a PC is stolen, but having a hard-disk crash could cause the same level of anxiety and data loss. :wall:

To avoid any document loss in the future, I back up all my critical information to dropbox, and all my photos both to external drives and to Flickr. I also have a web-based backup e-mail address on gmail, to which I e-mailed myself scans of all my family's travel documents, ID's, passports and the like, so that they are available from any internet-connected PC

Should my PC ever get stolen or damaged beyond data retrieval, the only documents/photos I am ever likely to lose are those just captured, before the automated upload and update takes place with the next connection to the internet, and even then, I never erase my photos off my cards until they have been stored in at least two different places.

There is no longer any excuse to ever lose any documents, photos or other information in future. Just do your homework and put the appropriate automated processes in place..... :thumbs_up:

Learn to use your equipment
and spend your time taking,
rather than processing images.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I hear you Scottm. I've been an "old school" backer upper and have religiously made backups on external media and offsite servers. The loss was actually rather limited and it was thanks to my diligent backups that I didn't lose a whole lot more. The reason my birding database (and SCUBA diving database) was not backed up was because it was in a non-standard directory which never occurred to me might require backing up.

I'm quite keen to start backing up in the cloud but I'm still unsure exactly what approach to follow. Dropbox is very cool but it requires that you put anything that should be backed up in the C:\Users\MyUserName\Dropbox folder or whichever folder is configured as your DropBox folder. But how do you back up a file that sits in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\DATA or whatever other weird folder? If you have any tips, it'd be much appreciated.

Scottm wrote:
It is never a great feeling when a PC is stolen, but having a hard-disk crash could cause the same level of anxiety and data loss. :wall:

To avoid any document loss in the future, I back up all my critical information to dropbox, and all my photos both to external drives and to Flickr. I also have a web-based backup e-mail address on gmail, to which I e-mailed myself scans of all my family's travel documents, ID's, passports and the like, so that they are available from any internet-connected PC

Should my PC ever get stolen or damaged beyond data retrieval, the only documents/photos I am ever likely to lose are those just captured, before the automated upload and update takes place with the next connection to the internet, and even then, I never erase my photos off my cards until they have been stored in at least two different places.

There is no longer any excuse to ever lose any documents, photos or other information in future. Just do your homework and put the appropriate automated processes in place..... :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:07 pm 

Oh the shame - I see I haven't updated since Sept 2012 when I was on 355. Not my fault - I was not allowed out to play as I was working flat out with no trips. The suddenly all since April 2013 I have had three trips - one to the Karroo staying at Prince Alfred and Cradock, then the two biggies, a trip to Ndumo (including a guided walk) and a full day trip to Marievale. Talk about fun! I got some of my great dreams - African Rail, Eastern Nicator and Fairy Flycatcher.

My new total: 381 (done on Roberts so it should be accurate). My next target is 395. I never set too high or I may just give up.

Many thanks to Dotdan, Wildtuinman, Lizet Grobbelaar and Ladybird who all helped me with my IDs on the forums. My accuracy ran at about 50%. Still lots to learn!

Pete

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:01 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Pete- It's through the help of people with more experience than you which benefits you the most. They help open your eyes to smaller, finer details and options which you would never have thought about but which becomes habit as you become more used to the birding world :D

And if I was you, push for 400...it's an amazing feeling and is reachable with your current total :thumbs_up: . When next are you in Gauteng? Have you birded the greater Gauteng area before? North of Pretoria and South of Joburg?

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:46 pm 

Hello Batmad

No, I've never had the opportunity to bird Gauteng. I hope to be in Secunda over Christmas so a summer day trip to Marievale looks on the cards (with my son, also a birder and though 28 years younger than I, close on my heels in ticks!) Is there anywhere else nearby there that I should go to?

I'm not going to push for 400 just yet - it is a big milestone because 500 is very very far after that.

Keep well
Pete

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Pete

Secunda is very close to the Devon and Leandra area, which has some of the best birding in the wider Gauteng area in my opinion. At that time of year there are plenty Montagu's and Pallid Harriers, Common Quails, Blue Korhaans, Orange River Francolins, Pale-crowned Cisticolas etc. You can nail some good birds in those farmlands. Also Suikerbosrand isn't too far away and also offers great birding. If I'm around at that time of year I would be happy to take you out for a day to help you boost your list. I gaurantee we'll get you over 400! Or otherwise we can even hit north eastern Gauteng and get around 200 species in a day!

Cheers
Matt

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:16 pm 

Hi MattAxel

I've already emailed your suggestions to my son. I have a very short break over Christmas as I am on duty over that holiday period. A Blue Korhaan is just what I want (my son has got one already). As for the quails I have seen some in the wheatfields here but that was before I was a birder and I just thought "Oh some quails". Could kick myself now. A Pale-crowned Cisticola also sounds good. We have so many Levaillant's here they actually queue for tourists to take their photos, but i'll never forget the excitement of getting my first one and getting help on this fiorum in getting the ID right.

I am low on raptors and seabirds as well as swifts and swallows. I wonder about going to sea as I have been sea-sick on a ski boat and my greatest wish was for the boat to sink as soon as possible!

OK: 400 it is. Here I go!

Keep well
Pete

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:25 pm 

I don't often get the opportunity to say this these days and, after having already added one at the end of January this year, I thought I had already used up my opportunity for 2013. But, anyway, here goes...

Please add 1 new bird to my list! :dance: :lol: :dance:

Last SA lifer: Amsterdam Albatross - 13 Jul '13 - Cape pelagic trip, Western Cape
Last World lifer: Junin Canastero - 24 May '14 - Marcapomacocha, Peru

My wildlife pics and reports: www.hardaker.co.za

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:49 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Howzit Pete,

I will second Matt's offer to help you reach your 400 mark (probably well over your 400 mark). Gauteng is an amazing place to do birding and if one knows the best localities for birding it can be highly productive! Maybe a few other Gauteng birders can join and we can make an outing of it :wink:

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:51 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Well done on that Amsterdam Albatross Trevor! An amazing find and record for SA! :clap: :clap:

As a matter of interest- When did you start your SA Life list? :D

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:07 pm 

Batmad wrote:
Well done on that Amsterdam Albatross Trevor! An amazing find and record for SA! :clap: :clap:

As a matter of interest- When did you start your SA Life list? :D

Thanks Badmad... :thumbs_up:

Looking back at my notes, my first dates for lifers are from early in 1982, so I wasn't even double figures in my age yet... :shock:

Last SA lifer: Amsterdam Albatross - 13 Jul '13 - Cape pelagic trip, Western Cape
Last World lifer: Junin Canastero - 24 May '14 - Marcapomacocha, Peru

My wildlife pics and reports: www.hardaker.co.za

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128 ... 150  Next