SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Finfoot: African
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:09 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Where is my best guaranteed chance of seeing one?

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:39 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I've seen one once in a pool (at road level) where the Nhlanganini stream crosses the gravel road from Letaba to Engelhard dam.
It was very secretive and sighting was brief.
Now I always approach all stream crossings (even dry one's) slowly and stop, switch off engine and open windows, to look and listen. Almost without fail there are plenty of sights to observe using this tactic, and one day there may be another finfoot.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:12 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

I had to look up what kind of animal this was. Just in case you are also wondering, look here.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:34 am 

I have seen him once in 1993. It was clearly visible directly in front of Skukuza restaurant. The fact that it has to run as the legs are too far back on the body was clear to see.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:23 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Best place is around Skukuza... from the restaurant and then another very good spot is from the high-water bridge.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:25 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Never seen one in Kruger (only Zim) but as mikev says all river crossings should be scanned. These birds do not really swim in the middle of the rivers so you need to take time and be patient, as they swim in the reeds and tangle vegetation on the side they are hard to spot if you just stop for a quick look.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:58 am 

I have seen African Finfoot on the Sabie River, at the Paul Kruger Gate and on the highwater bridge just outside Skuks, heading south towards Lower Sabie. I reckon its a common bird in Kruger, but because they're so secretive they are greatly overlooked.

Good luck!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:58 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Can't speak from experience, but my Birdfinder book recommends the low level bridge over the Sabie River by Skukuza, the high-level bridge where the H4-1 meets the H12 and Berg-en-Dal dam. Good luck.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:39 pm 

acekam wrote:
Can't speak from experience, but my Birdfinder book recommends the low level bridge over the Sabie River by Skukuza, the high-level bridge where the H4-1 meets the H12 and Berg-en-Dal dam. Good luck.

I have done the Olifants Trail 5 times and the last 4 times I have seen Finfoot (3times directly underneath the Olifants camp) It is not part of the Trail but if you speak nicely to the Trails Ranger he will take you... I have found about 9-10 am is ideal but i suppose it could be any time of the day. Seen them further up the Olifants River as it comes into the Park South of Phalaborwa (So do the Olifants Camping Trail for a sure way of seeing this bird.) I have also seen him on Phugwane River south of Punda which is surprising as 90% of the time is bone dry but this time it was full. This river eventually comes into the Mphongolo along the tourist S56 and this in turn goes into the Shingwedzi, so any bets for Kannidood Dam?

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject: african finfoot
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have seen one on two occasions at "Gezantfombi" waterhole near Crocodile Bridge on two occasions. That is if there is water.

They are very secretive and one has to be extremely patient to see one.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:01 pm 

Don't worry WTM, your 'bogey-bird' might be the NT, but this is mine :evil:
I've heard quite a few people seeing it at Nature's Valley - just above the bridge of the GrootRivier. The conditions are pefect!!
I went walking along the bank in that area every morning (too early :( ) but had no luck.
I've heard them a few times in Ndumo but the bush is always too thick to get to the right spot.
I'm back in Nature's Valley for 2 weeks in November and will search again. Might even run into the NTagain :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The best place to see a finfoot IMHO is from the bridge at the Paul Kruger Gate - we have often seen them there. I believe they are extremely territorial so this would seem like a good bet as you can get out of your car and stand at the far end of the bridge (in front of the corner house at Sabie Park). They are usually just in front of the reeds on the bank. Good luck.

03.10.14 - 10.10.14 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:16 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
:lol: @Gary. That NT is a pain in the neck. thanks for the tips on the finfoot down there. Will go have a look in December.

Thanks Penny. I am trying to convince these bafoons going to Kruger with me to enter Paul Kruger gate. We normally spend a few minutes on the bridge there. I had a good look around in Jan, but wasn't so lucky. Did see our only buff of the trip though. Will most definately have a look again if we enter there this upcoming trip.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:53 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

On the H12, photographed by Jakkalsbessie, and posted Tue Sep 06, 2005....
I thought I'd post it here as well.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Re: Finfoot: African
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:03 pm 

I have never seen an African Finfoot before and I was lucky enough to see one on the Sabie river from the bridge on the h4-1. I couldn't believe it and took as many photos as possible before having to move on as I was blocking the bridge.
Would you believe it, the next day I saw another one at the same place but a different bird!! This was in July 2009.
2 Finfoots in 2 days. :dance: