Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 544 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: booking for kgalagadi
Unread postPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:06 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

In order to secure bookings at wilderness camps you need to ensure that you book as early as possible on 1 June 2013. I will pm you a contact who will be able to help

The Honeymoon tent at KTC is far away from the waterhole, but so are all the units, so don't stress about that.
Urikaruus is the best and should not be missed. Another possibility on Mata Mat side are the riverside chalets at Mata Mata. They are great, but very different to KTC. KTC has about 14 units so is larger than a true wilderness camp, but it is unfenced. The Chalets at MM are on the (dry)river overlooking a waterhole
Enjoy

Christmas Trees in the Kalahari May 2012

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=62684

and

Kalahari Reflections March 2014

Post subject: Re: booking for kgalagadi
Unread postPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:20 am 

Thanks to all for your tips. Thinking I may have to stay up and call SanParks at 2am my time. Any contact will be appreciated.

MM riverside chalets do look nice. Is the night game viewing any better from there versus KTC?

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi in January
Unread postPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:26 pm 

lasabbry wrote:
Hi all,
I'm preparing a short visit in Kgalagadi from 2 to 10 january.
I prefere to reserve the rooms in advance, so, where is better to stay in this month to see wildlife?

I thougth
2-3 twee r.
4-5-6 Nossob
7- 8- 9 KTC or Mata Mata

It can be ok?
thank's!

Lasabbry, I'll be there in the same period and every year I'm spending holiday in KTP in January. The three camps you are going to visit are both perfect for wildlife. You'll be surprise of the beauty of this fantastic park. Enjoy.
Bye Luca/Italy.

Post subject: Re: Need help with planning a trip
Unread postPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:40 pm 

ghostdogg wrote:
Hi all,
we have been reqular visitors to Kruger and are due to go there at the end of May again. Although next year I was keen on doing KTP just the experience the different habitiats and a new park and also some new previously unseen species.
We would like to do a max 15-16 day trip including travelling back and forth from the UK.
I would like help deciding the best time to visit the park in terms of weather and game vieweing. Anytime from feb untill june is doable for us. when would you guys recommend we visit and what would we expect to see? As most people we are keen on predators and when would be a good time to see them in action? But top of my list is to photograph a caracal in this habitat.
Also please could you recommend the camps we should visit and also the minimum number of days we should spend in each place. Ideally we would prefer to book into selfcatering rooms rather than camping. Please be aware that we are not used to driving 4*4s so this would be the first time for us. Any recommendation on best 4*4 hire companies would be highly appreciated.
Finally, would you also recommend a visit to Augarbies Natioanl Park? and is so then how many days would be ideal?

Any help with planning would be great.

cheers

ghostdoggghto good evening, I'm writing from Italy. I'm going to visit the park in December/January for the time nr. six. What I can say, due to the very long travel from Europe, is that always I spend my time in the park, not in other part of south africa. In my small opinion is better to dedicate the holiday just to one place (of course that's my opinion and it can be wrong...). With 15-16 days, including travelling from London, you will have about 13 nights inside the park; that's reasonable time for visit the best place in the world. Regarding best period, that's depend on you: in January is very hot, in july and august quite cold in the night (often temperature below zero). Anyway in every period you will have lot of chanche to see lot of predators.
Regrading the camps: normally I'm spending two nights in Twee rivieren, 5 in Mata Mata, 5 in Nossob, 2 in Urikaruus and Kielenkrankie and about 2 in Kalahari tented camp. What I can suggest is this: better t avoid to spend just one day in one camp and day before change it; in this way you loose lot of time packaging and unpackaging you luggage.
Last the 4x4 hire: normally I'm going with http://www.kalahari4x4hire.co.za/.
Hope my bad english could help you.
Enjoy the park.
Bye Luca/Italy.

Post subject: Re: Need help with planning a trip
Unread postPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:29 am 

As always there are many different opinions. I support the suggestion to spend a couple of nights in Augrabies, not primarily for the animals but the scenary.

I have been to KTP twice and the driving is more demanding and exhausting than KNP, though generally rewarding, and you may not return immediately to KTP. Therefore, I suggest you to visit Augrabies. You drive along Orange River which is interesting and nice.

There are also nice places for an over-night stay in Upington and PM me if you would like more information.

Our visits have been only 6-7 days and we have noot been very lucky with lion sightings but on the first afternoon of our first trip we had the most magnificient leopard sighting. The best ever. In Oct we had a beautiful cheetah sighting, a mother with 3 very small cubs who came out from the grass towards the road and the cars. Not seen caracal in KTP but in WCNP.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:00 pm 

Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA (formally from Pretoria)
I will also be in Nossob for 4-5-6 January. Can't wait to get back to my favorite place on earth!

I am currently living in the USA, but spent all my holidays as a child on my grandparents farm 50KM from the park. The farm now belongs to my uncle, and we are going to visit them for a week. This will be my 25 year old daughter's first trip to the Kalahari.

Already "test" packing my camera equipment, to see what fits to take along!!!

Nossob: 3-5 January 2014

Unread postPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:21 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Herkaun :thumbs_up: Welcome to the Forum !! KTP is pretty much my favourite place on earth too and I think you have a couple of people right in your own city who feel the same .. the Armstrongs came out to SA for 18months and we got them so hooked on the Kalahari that they went there 3 times while they were here and they also miss it like crazy now they are back home :(

I'm hoping to be in KTP early Jan too so get that yellow ribbon ready and enjoy the anticipation - time will fly ...

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:58 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

welcome to the forum Herkaun :D

what a chance to have... a farm at 50 km from the park :dance:

enjoy, enjoy your very next trip to Kgalagadi :clap:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:29 pm 

Thank you all for the welcome words. I will definitely have my yellow ribbon ready! :dance:

Since we only get back to SA about every three years, I take my mother (she will be 84 next year) back to the farm when we do. We will be a party of 9, so it will be hard to miss us! :lol:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:47 pm 

I made the reservation!!!! But not yet for the flight...
So..
2 Jan - 2R
3-4-5 - KTC (Nossob was full)
6-7-8 - Nossob
9 - 2R

I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!! :P :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:54 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

wow lasabbry :clap: is done :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:42 am 

Just booked the flights to SA and back!! Now everything is paid for.
All that is left now is the looooooooong wait! :dance:

Post subject: General Advice when visiting KTP for the first time
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:16 am 

My firs t post on the forum and hope to get lots of advice from the experts.

I have not really done a trip in SA as a long road trip like Kgalagadi. It has beena dream of mine for a long time and now that I live in SA, I thought my wife and i must do this trip.

She is not adventurous enough to consider camping so booked the various camps in the park.

I know going in mid-Nov is not ideal given it will be hot but it about the only time we can get time off. So have booked from 8th Nov for about 8 nights. Had to battle getting the right camps for the right nights so have had to compromise given only booking in June for Nov.

I have booked as follows:

8th Nov Twee Rivieren
9th Nov: Nossob
10/11th Nov: Gharagab
12th Nov: Bitterpan
13/14th Nov: Kalahari Tented Camp
15th Nov: Twee Rivieren

Can people who are experts tell me if this is a decent itinerary? What are the key things to do in any one of these camps that are unique to that camp ?

Also, will be travelling on the 8th Nov from Jo'burg driving to KTP. How much time should I allow and which is the best way to go ?

Given the time of year is hot, any advice on what clothes to take etc ?

My wife is worried that we have never done a trip like this without other friends. Anything in particular I should be aware of on this trip ? I have a Prado VX so am not worried too much about getting stuck etc.

Any advice really appreciated and if anyone thinks above itinerary needs changing pls tell me although the availability at the wilderness camps is slim.

thanks

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi First timer...need lots of advice.
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:45 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Katanga

Welcome to the forum!

Replying to you live from Twee Rivieren!

We drove here via Kimberley. The road from JHB to Kimberely was great....kimbereley to Upington....not so great ....stopped counting at 6 stop/go's! Even taking the Kuruman road....look at at least 10 hours.

Your itinary....depends on what you want from your trip....Bitterpan and Garaghab are beautiful in their own right....superb places to really get a feel for the peaceful dune landscape of the park....can be a bit quiet animal wise....nice for peace and quiet! Garaghab has a look out tower at the back of camp you can climb-great for sundowners! As new visitors to the park, I would rather stay at one of the 2 of these camps for 1 night...and rather spend more time at eg Nossob. Or, I realise availability is a problem, a night or 2 at Grootkolk. Kielikrankie is also a nice option for a bit of a dune feel but with easy accessibility to both the Nossob and Mata mata riverb beds.Just an opinion!

We have a Prado and no problems!

Enjoy your trip

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi First timer...need lots of advice.
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:57 am 

Jo

wow - I am jealous!

Given how late I left things and just booked the trip about 2hrs ago for Nov, both Grootkolk and Kieliekrankiw almost fully booked.

I am hoping to get good animal sightings but at the same time want to experience the tranquillity of the wilderness camps.

So dyou reckon, I could drive to TR from Jo'burg in 12hrs with some stop time for filling up on fuel and comfort break as well as meals ?

Which is the best way to go ?

What would you advice as things to take on this trip with the heat that time of the year ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 544 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 37  Next