Skip to Content

Sirheni Bushveld Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)

Re: Sirheni Bushveld Camp

Unread postby anne-marie » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:14 am

I was there (in March-April 2011). The camp is fantastic, all the bungalows (I'm nearly sure) have a spectacular view, there is a local Leopard who make appareance sometime behind the bungalows (no, no, not around... behind the fence :lol: ) and for me, one of the most beautiful dirty road : S56 and nothing disturb you to go to Pafuri... again a superb place... for birding
Go and enjoy :dance:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

planing KTP janv/fev.2016

gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby gmlsmit » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:10 am

Sirheni is a good birding camp, the dam is just next to the fence, it has a good KNP atmosphere, you may also experience the feel of the magical mystery of AFRICA in the area.

The camp is well positioned for visits to Babalala where you may see your namesake antelope.

We also found Sharpe's Grysbok in the area. Who knows you may see the resident Leopard and at night you may hear him labouring. Pafuri is not very far away, it is a good time of the year to visit this wonderful area.

Enjoy your visit.
I participate because I care - CUSTOS NATURAE
No to Hotels in and commercialization of our National Parks.
No to Legalized Rhino and Lion trade.
Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:46 am

ruthp wrote:We will be in a 6 bed unit - what is the recommended ## to try and pre-book?
Ruth, have you had a read through all the pages of this topic as there is great info and advice in there on the best # etc.
I am sure you check in at the reception office in the camp itself.
The drives seem to depend on if they have a guide available from Punda maria as to whether they do them or not.
Enjoy!
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

zivvy&muffin

Unread postby zivvy&muffin » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:21 am

ruthp wrote:First time going to Sirheni - 28 and 29 March 2013 - also first time with our granddaughter and her parents - So looking forward to being in that camp :D
We will be in a 6 bed unit - what is the recommended ## to try and pre-book?
Do you check in directly at the bushcamp or do you have to check in at a main camp first (Punda Maria? /Shingwedzi?)
For sunset drive - where does one pre-book?
Please exccuse the quetions but I have looked in various places on the forum and can't seem to find the answers I need :?

Check-in at sirheni camp reception. If no-one around do not worry! Your allocated unit is on a board.

It'll be hot in March. I would go for the middle number units on account they offer more shade (on average). All 6-bed cottages are close to fence, and have + / - depending on YOUR tastes.

Remember fridges are not on the whole time, so prepare accordingly and use freezer at reception. And have a cooler box handy and buy new ice daily. We had 40 degrees+ three straight days and all was fine with food, but would not have been were we not prepared.
It was still very warm at 10pm outside.

I tend to ask about Game Drives at reception. I will go if: a) I like the guide (always yes so far at Sirheni), and b) Its not fully booked. 3 groups of 2 is fine, more and I pass and ask about the next night (that's just me though :) ).
I do like the evening drives from Sirheni, it is such fun to comb the same area you drove in the days, but the wildlife is totally different.

squirrel81

Unread postby squirrel81 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:44 pm

Dear all :D ,
I`m new in this forum.
I have also asked my question on the forums page : "Best Bungalows Situation". Hope I have not created any confusion.
I have visited Kruger several times since 1978 but never had been in Sirheni.
Originally I had booked Shingwedzi but had to swop because they closed Shingwedzi due to the floods for the whole year. It is such a pitty I love Shingwedzi, it is my favourite camp.

SIRHENI - I have a booking there in September for a Unit GC6. From the camp map I can see that the only Unit GC6 is the Bungalow No. 14.

Is there anyone who has ever stayed in Sirheni No. 14. I new from the Forums Sirheni-page that No. 15 must have a very good view.

My question : Does the Unit 14 in Sirheni has a good view onto the dam ??
Hope someone is able to help me.
Thanks, Brigitte
Next trip 2015 :dance:
14 - 17.09 Shimuvini, 17 - 20.09 Shingwe
20 - 23.09 Punda, 23- 26.09 Mopane
26 - 28.09. Olifants, 28.09 - 01.10 Satara
01 - 03.10 Talamati, 12 - 14.10 Skukuz
14 - 17.10 Biyamiti, 17 - 20.10 Lower Sabie
20 - 23.10 Berg & Dal

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby anne-marie » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:57 pm

welcome to the forum squirrel :D

Sirheni :dance: a so beautiful camp
I was in #15 and it was fabulous, beside the fence and a huge view onto the dam (in front and to the left side) :wink:
#14 maybe has a little bit more trees... but can't remember exactly, sorry :redface:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

squirrel81

Unread postby squirrel81 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:49 pm

SIRHENI Unit 14 - I have a booking in September for a Unit GC6. From the camp map I can see that the only Unit GC6 is the Bungalow No. 14.

Is there anyone who has ever stayed in Sirheni No. 14 or knows about it. Does the Unit 14 has a good view onto the dam ??
I hope someone can help me.
Many Thanks, Brigitte
Next trip 2015 :dance:
14 - 17.09 Shimuvini, 17 - 20.09 Shingwe
20 - 23.09 Punda, 23- 26.09 Mopane
26 - 28.09. Olifants, 28.09 - 01.10 Satara
01 - 03.10 Talamati, 12 - 14.10 Skukuz
14 - 17.10 Biyamiti, 17 - 20.10 Lower Sabie
20 - 23.10 Berg & Dal

zivvy&muffin

Unread postby zivvy&muffin » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:17 pm

Unit 14 is fine.
We stayed there.
The view from the terrace is not as exclusive as from 15, but you can see the water. You can also hear what's going on too. I was back and forwards to the fence (10 metres away), like a yo yo.
Also, you have the hide close, and a nice short-cut to reception.

Grantmissy
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Fri May 24, 2013 9:48 am

Under the home page of Sirheni - 5 Things to Seek the number 1 listed is Reedbuck. We have stayed twice at Sirheni 8) 8) 8) but up to now they have eluded us. We saw the resident leopard though :thumbs_up: and many other animals. Once a few years back we “saw” two of them at Talamati Bushveld Camp very early morning at the bird hide but on second thought I doubt if it really was Reedbuck that we saw as the two disappeared very quickly, too quick to be sure :?.
Do not support Circuses that uses wild and other animals to perform circus acts to amuse people

gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby gmlsmit » Fri May 24, 2013 11:41 am

. . . and Sharpes Grysbok, also be on the lookout for the Roan antelope at Babalala.
I participate because I care - CUSTOS NATURAE
No to Hotels in and commercialization of our National Parks.
No to Legalized Rhino and Lion trade.
Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

zivvy&muffin

Unread postby zivvy&muffin » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:09 am

Sirheni open again. Superficial damage to some units, but mostly replacement of beds / furniture / fridge inside. We were in #8 which had quite a bit of new furniture.

Other repairs still underway and generators sounded louder (less protected?) than previously. Currently no drives offered.

Big item is the dam, well the ex-dam. That is gone and will not be restored as I understand. Thus water views are very different to previously and #11 to #15 are looking at a sand bank the floods left. Apparently, the area will be landscaped at some point.

The Mphongolo road in pretty good shape all things considered, but many changes to the river banks!

leervis
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby leervis » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:37 am

Does anyone have any pictures of the " new " dam at Sirheni? I would be very interested to see how this latest move by Mother Nature has changed things. We are thinking of doing a trip mid - November and would also be interested to know if we should go for Shingwedzi or Sirheni? Generally any feedback from anyone who has visited this area recently would be interesting. :hmz:
26 - 29 August Balule
30 August - 1 September Sirheni
2 - 5 September Tsendze

roaneric
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby roaneric » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:38 am

Hi Leervis

We visited Sirheni in July and I added some new accommodation pics (and views) HERE
It did change a lot. When we visited Sirheni years ago, you looked upon lots of water from the birdhide, now it's more like a sandbank. But have a look at the pics.
Back Again
"I am not African because I was born in Africa, but because Africa was born in me"

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby anne-marie » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:19 pm

all the bungalows are facing the water :dance:
but don't know how it is after flood damage and don't know which one are bigger (I was alone)
all I know.... is a fabulous camp :dance:
Le Petit Prince

leervis
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby leervis » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:38 pm

We have just returned from 6 nights in the Park. The first 4 were at Sirheni and so I will post a short update on the camp. Paul welcomes visitors as would an enthusiastic host. The staff are diligent and keep the camp in perfect shape. With the dam destroyed by the floods last year, the water in front of the camp is subject to rains falling West of the camp. When we were there, cottage no.1, had a couple of pools in front of it. These will evaporate and the crocks will have to move down river. The cottages are great with new lovely mattresses and duvets. The communal freezer kept our food frozen hard and the fridges in the cottages were very efficient. Still our favorite Kruger camp.
26 - 29 August Balule
30 August - 1 September Sirheni
2 - 5 September Tsendze

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”