Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Length of stay at sightings
Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:53 pm 

I would like to understand whether there are any rules around the time one can stay at a sighting. I have been told twice now that I have been at a sighting too long and do I not know the rules. I have not found any rules about how long one can stay at a sighting.

I always try to help other people see the sighting, move backwards, forwards etc. so they get a better view but cannot see why one could not stay at a sighting for the day if thats what you felt like doing.

I would like other peoples' views and whether they have had similar experiences

Post subject: Re: Length of stay at sightings
Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:02 pm 

Have a read Here

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi Readles I don't think there is a limit of time at a sighting, I just feel one should consider other people that cannot see what you are looking at, and move a bit so they can also see the sighting.
Most people will appreciate this, and you could return to your prime position again after they have left.

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:27 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
:hmz: Very good topic.

Some people think they 'own' a sighting. This is very easy to do if you are the first to come across it. I must confess to a measure of guilt here.

If it is a 'mobile' sighting, like a leopard stalking or lions walking along, one would like to see how it plays out, and time seems to stand still, but if it is a 'static' sighting like lions lion around, then there seems to be no reason to hog it, and not let others into position to see it.

At mobile sightings, people tend to change places rapidly depending on the direction of the movement.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found
There is no rule , for me its a matter of common courtesy. I take my pictures and move along so that others may enjoy the sighting.
I believe I get to see more by moving instead of watching a sleeping lion or whatever under a bush , 50 metres away for an hour or 2.
last week for example , I was with some lions having breakfast on a buffalo right next to the road. (we were only 2 vehicles there) I had been there about 10 minutes, other vehicles started arriving, I left to make space for others, I hope they enjoyed the sighting as much as I did.

28 July - 2 August - Maroela ( armed with Amarula)
3 August - 7 August - Crocodile Bribge

Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This boils down to having consideration for others, a rare quality these days.

Three scenario's:

1) If im fortunate to have a sighting all to myself, I stay as long as I want 8)

2) If I spot something first and the cars are starting to gather to such an extent that I will be blocked in, I move away because I know I wont get out for a while.

3) If I come across a sighting that has an entire shopping mall parking lot parked next to it, I drive on past.

I come to Kruger to relax and traffic / rude and obnoxious drivers are the last thing I want to experience. I have driven past many flicking lion tail/ear sightings because of that scenario. Quite frankly I would rather sit and watch a Glossy Starling in peace than lions at a traffic jam.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:40 pm 

We are exactly the same, afraid we don't do traffic jams!
Fortunately when we go its always out of season and much quieter but still there are the odd ones.
Its really not worth possibly getting your car dented or scratched to see a flick of ear or whisker.
As for length of time at sightings, have our look, take the pics and if others are there trying to see and the space is limited, we will always move on.

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:14 pm 

Hi Readles

Us personally, we will always have a look at a sighting no matter how busy it is. If it is too busy we take a look (maybe some pics) and move on. If it is quitter at a sighting we will take our time (After all we are in the park to enjoy nature), but as yourself we will always keep notice with other people!

How ether, I have witnessed a man sit for 2 days straight on the Lower Sabie bridge because there was an impala hanging in a tree 30 meters from the road. Obviously once the leopard finally returned it was chaos on the bridge and nobody could get true anymore. The man how ether didn’t budge and kept his prime spot the whole time not paying attention to anyone else. But let’s be honest, can you blame him?

Just do what you feel is the wright think to do for yourself and others :thumbs_up: and don’t forget to enjoy the sighting. :D

TR: "Cloggy Kruger Highlights"

Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:13 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

If there is a big traffic jam, I will point out the animal to the kids, take a few photos and then move on.

If I am the only car, or one or two other cars, I will stay as long as I want.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:40 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
A few times I have seen this humorous scenario.

We come across a queue of cars. I ask "What can you see' after scanning the area.

Either "A lion's ear under that bush 200 metres away" or "We are waiting for lions".

If it is the former, we drive off. I like mine on the road, (and usually get them).

The latter is very interesting, because the 'leader' of the convoy, or somebody else who has driven off, caught a glimpse of a lion walking away and it disappeared into bush/grass/trees and they are waiting for it to re-emerge.
Ask no 5 in the queue and they say "We don't know, but we hope to get over there".
While I was washing up in Tam one night I spoke to a woman who had waited 3 hours for lions to get up from lying in the long grass that they were told about, but they did not.

Tip to rookies. If it is not a reasonable sighting, move on (almost) immediately.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

BB,

I agree with you.
Unless you get a decent view, is the sighting really worth it?

This past December, we came to a massive traffic jam. After enquiring I was told that there was a LIT. It was far, and after scanning said tree for about 10 mins, all I coud see was a tail. But because of the lighting, it looked like a branch. Tried desperately to show it to my young kids, who of course could see nothing.
Wasn't worth the effort.

I will probably get slated for saying the following:
But I don't drive at 10km / hour to try and spot animals deep in the bush.
As above, if I can only see an ear, or part of a retreating backside, I don't get much out of the sighting anyway.
For me, and also because I have young kids, I get better enjoyment from seeing animals close to the road.
Better for photography too.
So I would rather drive a bit quicker, cover more ground and hope to get more sightings that way.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:23 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
No slating at all yoda.

At the other end of the spectrum, when I took my octogenarian father to Kruger (he died 3 years ago), our eyesight was not the greatest, so we often would drive behind somebody to let them spot for us.

Another tactic was to drive about 35kph and what we didn't see, because it was far off, we wouldn't know about. It allowed us to cover a good distance and the chances of seeing roadside game would then increase.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Having been in the Kruger last week, I got irritated a few times by people "camping" next to sightings.

I understand that the person were the first to have spotted the wild dogs and that he has a lens the size of the Hubble Space Telescope, but really ...

None of that is an excuse for the rudeness of people at sightings.

I looked at the Green Permit you got at the gate and in there it says:

Game Sighting - Congestions
In case that there is a sighting with many cars causing congestions, the lane opposite (furthest away) the side of the game or object/s being viewed may not be blocked by stationary vehicles. This lane must be kept open for those that which to pass the sighting. Please do not park diagonally, especially in the driving lanes.

So I would just drive past these sightings. It is not worth the anger and frustration waiting for your turn. I also try and avoid the tar roads as far as possible.

“When the sun has set, no candle can replace it.”

Unread postPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:22 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We also don't spend much time at a sighting where more than one car is parked. We will have a look and if possible take a photo and move on.

As for traffic jams, we just drive past. But it is very frustrating if the road is blocked in such a way and you can't get past and you sit there until someone make a move to leave.

We also have two kids and they don't have the patience like us so we search for our own sighting. If we are the only car at a sighting we normally stay longer for the kids and when they had enough we move on or when more cars arrive.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
No slating at all yoda.

At the other end of the spectrum, when I took my octogenarian father to Kruger (he died 3 years ago), our eyesight was not the greatest, so we often would drive behind somebody to let them spot for us.

Another tactic was to drive about 35kph and what we didn't see, because it was far off, we wouldn't know about. It allowed us to cover a good distance and the chances of seeing roadside game would then increase.

BB,
When I used to go to Kruger with my late father (who was the one who instilled the love of Kruger in me), our drive comprised the shortest route to the nearest dam or other body of water, sit there for an hour or two, and then drive back to camp. It was the early to mid 80's, the drought years in Kruger, so I guess that sitting at one of the few available sources of water was productive.