SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: FIRST KRUGER DRIVE
Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi everyone :hello:

Hope everyone is well and AWESOME. I just created this Topic so people can Share the first ever Drive experiences within Kruger, I was thinking about my first drive which will happen on the 21st of June 2013. I just passed my driving test last year, and after that I came to the UK, to study, so my first ever Kruger Driving experience will be in June. Till today Dad always drove, and I was a passenger, and now it will be vice versa.

If everyone could share their first ever driving experience in Kruger because driving in Kruger is different, the mini loops going closer to rivers. Elephants coming too close. Stopping in time. Lions walking around your car. Anything but the ordinary happens. 1st ever sighting. I want to hear all about it. I think this will be an interesting topic, and hopefully all Forum members can also relive their first ever drive through the Park.

Post subject: Re: FIRST KRUGER DRIVE
Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:50 pm 

Hi, my first Kruger drive was very different than your first Kruger drive will be, because my first Kruger Drive was also my first Kruger visit...
So I think it was September 1998 that we visited SA and Kruger for the first time.
And as we come from the Netherlands, we had seen wildlife only 'behind bars'....in a zoo.
We entered Kruger near Pretoriuskop and like we still do nowadays, we took the first 'dirt road' but we had no map.....
And the roads around PK are really a little difficult if you have no map..we found out.
So after a while we were back in PK and the first thing we bought was a good map 8) .
But now, some 15 years later and driving almost 100.000kilo's through the park... we don't need the map anymore. :D
But of course we were in Kruger for the wildlife.
And I still know what we saw first....impala, impala, impala and every time we saw another herd of impala we stopped, took pics and so on.
But what we couldn't understand was that all the other visitors of Kruger didn't stop but just drove on.
It really surprised us, I mean you come for wildlife and when you can see a lot of impala's nobody stopped.... :hmz:
OK 2 hours later we understood that in Kruger there are very very very many impalas and yes you're right, we also drove on.
But anyway, since our first Kruger drive, we were 'in love' with Kruger so since September 1998 we come back 2 times each year.
And now we are just back in Holland from 16 days of course again in Kruger!

Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My first drive was from Malelane Gate in 2009 - and surprisingly our first animals were not Impi's but rather Giraffes and Ellies - thankfully far away as my mom is very wary of them, and with me driving for the first time (in the park) there was a fair amount of tension! A later encounter with an Ellie up at Tsendze was even more comical as my mom shouted forward and dad reverse - I stalled the car... :redface: (I had had my licence 8 years by then). It must be said I was not that close to the Ellie and he was munching happily probably laughing his head off!

Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:50 am 

Our first drive as a family was 18 years ago while staying at a timeshare in White River. We had done all the touristy routes in the area and the weather was lousy, so to entertain our 3 year old we decided to take a "quick" drive through Kruger. We entered through Paul Kruger Gate and exited at Numbi Gate. We saw elephants, impala, giraffe and a pack of wild dog run behind our car for about a km. :dance:

This was the start of what has now become our yearly pilgrimage to either Kruger or KTP, and needless to say we have never had another wild dog sighting.

Dreaming of our June holiday in Kruger.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

WOW Joubie, :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: Wild Dogs in your first ever trip. That must be AWESOME. I have been visiting the Park for 17 years and yet still not had a Wild Dog Sighting. I will be in the Drivers seat for the first time this June and praying :pray: that I will get to see Wild Dogs, by the way which camp will you be staying at and what dates because I will be in the Park from the 21st to 23rd of June.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:21 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I was taken to Kruger for the first time when I was 2 years old. So can't remember first drive :tongue:

Though shortly after I got married, took the SO to Kruger for her first trip.
I really built it up about how brilliant it is, a wonderfull place, yadda yadda yadda.

We enter Numbi to travel to Skukuza for our first night. A few minutes after entering we saw our first Impala, and then km after km of nothing. The SO falls asleep! (She claims it was because of the early start). Thought I was in for a rough few days if it was going to be a slow trip, especially after all the hype that I had built up.
Anyhows, not far from Skukuza we go around a corner and there is a massive Elephant bull in the road. So I shake the SO awake and she is duly impressed.
Saw a few other animals on the rest of the drive, and she was happy.

SO enjoyed that holiday and loves going to Kruger, probably not as hardcore as I am, but I have converted her.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:15 pm 

My first drive was actually just last year (yeah i'm a kruger-rookie).
Before that all we had was zoo-experience :roll:

We had planned to stay the night in Phalaborwa before entering Kruger, but we arrived early in Phalaborwa and couldn't resist going into the park for the afternoon..

That turned out to be a very good choice!
the first km from phalaborwa gate we saw nothing.. but next were impalas! great first sighting :lol:
Next we saw some cars had stopped :hmz: hurray: an ellie family was passing the road, with some cute small ones running across the road :D

On the road to Sable dam we spotted some giraffes :)
After that we decided to drive the H14 up to the S131 and the S131 back to the gate. We came past the Ngwenhyeni(?) waterhole where we had an amazing view of 2 big tuskers drinking and fooling around. :cam:

After that we had to go do some shopping for the days to come, but it sure was good way to start our Kruger adventures :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:01 pm 

First drive in through Malane Gate, 26 years ago, on our way to Lower Sabie. A vvery excited lady in a uniform flagged us down and told us to turn right at the fork as there were wild dog in the road, she'd just had to leave them as she was on her way to a dentist appointment. We, knowing nothing didn't turn right but went left following huge piles of elephant dung. We weren't disappointed we saw close up a lovely herd which our 3 year old son loved. A year or so later we realised what we'd missed.