Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Length of stay at sightings
Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This boils down to having consideration for others, a rare quality these days.

Three scenario's:

1) If im fortunate to have a sighting all to myself, I stay as long as I want 8)

2) If I spot something first and the cars are starting to gather to such an extent that I will be blocked in, I move away because I know I wont get out for a while.

3) If I come across a sighting that has an entire shopping mall parking lot parked next to it, I drive on past.

I come to Kruger to relax and traffic / rude and obnoxious drivers are the last thing I want to experience. I have driven past many flicking lion tail/ear sightings because of that scenario. Quite frankly I would rather sit and watch a Glossy Starling in peace than lions at a traffic jam.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:40 pm 

We are exactly the same, afraid we don't do traffic jams!
Fortunately when we go its always out of season and much quieter but still there are the odd ones.
Its really not worth possibly getting your car dented or scratched to see a flick of ear or whisker.
As for length of time at sightings, have our look, take the pics and if others are there trying to see and the space is limited, we will always move on.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Readles

Us personally, we will always have a look at a sighting no matter how busy it is. If it is too busy we take a look (maybe some pics) and move on. If it is quitter at a sighting we will take our time (After all we are in the park to enjoy nature), but as yourself we will always keep notice with other people!

How ether, I have witnessed a man sit for 2 days straight on the Lower Sabie bridge because there was an impala hanging in a tree 30 meters from the road. Obviously once the leopard finally returned it was chaos on the bridge and nobody could get true anymore. The man how ether didn’t budge and kept his prime spot the whole time not paying attention to anyone else. But let’s be honest, can you blame him?

Just do what you feel is the wright think to do for yourself and others :thumbs_up: and don’t forget to enjoy the sighting. :D

Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:13 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

If there is a big traffic jam, I will point out the animal to the kids, take a few photos and then move on.

If I am the only car, or one or two other cars, I will stay as long as I want.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:40 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
A few times I have seen this humorous scenario.

We come across a queue of cars. I ask "What can you see' after scanning the area.

Either "A lion's ear under that bush 200 metres away" or "We are waiting for lions".

If it is the former, we drive off. I like mine on the road, (and usually get them).

The latter is very interesting, because the 'leader' of the convoy, or somebody else who has driven off, caught a glimpse of a lion walking away and it disappeared into bush/grass/trees and they are waiting for it to re-emerge.
Ask no 5 in the queue and they say "We don't know, but we hope to get over there".
While I was washing up in Tam one night I spoke to a woman who had waited 3 hours for lions to get up from lying in the long grass that they were told about, but they did not.

Tip to rookies. If it is not a reasonable sighting, move on (almost) immediately.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

BB,

I agree with you.
Unless you get a decent view, is the sighting really worth it?

This past December, we came to a massive traffic jam. After enquiring I was told that there was a LIT. It was far, and after scanning said tree for about 10 mins, all I coud see was a tail. But because of the lighting, it looked like a branch. Tried desperately to show it to my young kids, who of course could see nothing.
Wasn't worth the effort.

I will probably get slated for saying the following:
But I don't drive at 10km / hour to try and spot animals deep in the bush.
As above, if I can only see an ear, or part of a retreating backside, I don't get much out of the sighting anyway.
For me, and also because I have young kids, I get better enjoyment from seeing animals close to the road.
Better for photography too.
So I would rather drive a bit quicker, cover more ground and hope to get more sightings that way.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Having been in the Kruger last week, I got irritated a few times by people "camping" next to sightings.

I understand that the person were the first to have spotted the wild dogs and that he has a lens the size of the Hubble Space Telescope, but really ...

None of that is an excuse for the rudeness of people at sightings.

I looked at the Green Permit you got at the gate and in there it says:

Game Sighting - Congestions
In case that there is a sighting with many cars causing congestions, the lane opposite (furthest away) the side of the game or object/s being viewed may not be blocked by stationary vehicles. This lane must be kept open for those that which to pass the sighting. Please do not park diagonally, especially in the driving lanes.

So I would just drive past these sightings. It is not worth the anger and frustration waiting for your turn. I also try and avoid the tar roads as far as possible.

“When the sun has set, no candle can replace it.”

Unread postPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:22 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We also don't spend much time at a sighting where more than one car is parked. We will have a look and if possible take a photo and move on.

As for traffic jams, we just drive past. But it is very frustrating if the road is blocked in such a way and you can't get past and you sit there until someone make a move to leave.

We also have two kids and they don't have the patience like us so we search for our own sighting. If we are the only car at a sighting we normally stay longer for the kids and when they had enough we move on or when more cars arrive.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:31 pm 

for us personally, we'd move off the 'prime spot' after we've taken in and enjoyed the sighting, and give others a chance to enjoy the view.
but sometime we' dont mind parking off (not in prime spot or traffic jams but still where we can monitor the animal (lions only) specifically if there is chance of them getting up/hunting if there are nearby game.
if ur not hogging the the view and there is place for others basically, i dont think it should b a problem.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:23 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I have seen more tempers at sightings than on the William Nicoll in rush hour. :( and that includes taxis.

Sadly, if the perception is that someone is inconsiderate or rude, people can hit the "red zone". It takes a little courtesy to defuse tempers.

I don't stay long at sightings. I am lucky enough to be able to go to Kruger often. I remind myself as I start entering the "red zone" that many are not so fortunate.

I am afraid the selfish behaviour is my "red zone". I don't get angry about not being able to see something, but I do get angry when I see others excluded from a sighting. This indicates an elevated sense of entitlement from the driver.

I have given my daughters one little tip on choosing a boyfriend.. watch how they drive. If they are selfish on the road, they will be selfish in the home.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:06 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We had the following incident this past December:

We were driving back to B & D after a morning drive when we came to a massive traffic jam.
The usual chaos. I said to my kids that we should just make our way through the jam and get back to camp - it probably wasn't worth the sighting anyway. So as I weave my way through the traffic with absolutely no intention of stopping. This very nice man waves to me, shifts his car and as I edge forward to move on, move around the other car, I am now in prime position at a Leopard sighting. Only because the other driver had moved his car so I could drive through. So I point out the Leopard very quickly to my kids (wasn't a brilliant view anyway - quite deep in the bush) and move on. But I was getting a lot of dirty looks from the other drivers :evil:
But I had honestly no intention of forcing my way in to get the best spot, and I stayed at most a minute.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
When it is a Jam we try to get away from the sighting if possible and do not linger. In May we were stuck in the middle of a classic Southern Kruger Traffic Jam where some visitors spotted Sable in the vicinity of the Kruger Tablets and they blocked of the road. It is always best to give another also the opportunity to see the animals. In the Northern Kruger we will stay longer at a sighting as sometimes we are the only car around :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:26 pm 

In Kruger park the rules state no time period at a sighting, but does state the vehicles must be stopped at the side of the sighting toallow vehicles to pass. In Private reserves there is mostly a timeperiod for sightings to allow all OSVs to enter the sighting area. This differs from reserve to reserve.

It is however unfortunate that I had a altercation with an OSV not long ago in Kruger when me and Gipetto was at a sighting and was told we were to long at the sighting and had to leave. This is not at all relevant in Kruger. Just a matter of being nice. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:41 pm 

I agree there is no hard and fast rule but as a general courtesy to other fellow visitors, at a busy sighting in Kruger, we stop next to it, have a look, take our pics and then move on.
I don't enjoy being in the middle of a crush of cars with people getting frustrated, sooner or later someone's car is going to get dented and we would rather it not ours!! :wink:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:53 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I just hate it when we are stuck in the middle of a Kruger road block with no way of getting out of it.This happened to us in May, cars were parked all over the place and we had to sit it out, eventually a Sanparks vehicle came and sorted it out thank goodness

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next