Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Maun to Kgalagadi?
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:08 pm 

Trying to figure out which is the best route to take to get to either entrance gates for KTP. Maun to Ghanzi and then into Namibia and drive Windhoek south to Mata Mata. I can see that this route has plenty of places to stop overnight camping or B&B. The other option I can see on Traks 4A is south from Ghanzi via Kang, Sekoma, Tshabong, Khuis etc entering at Twee R. This route means not bothering to enter Namibia but there seems to lack of places to break the journey.

Are we allowed to take meat, veggies, milk etc into Kgalagadi from Botswana or Namibia? If not where can we stock up for our 9 night stay in the park, does Mata Mata usually have plenty of supplies? Any help apppreciated once again. Pen

Post subject: Re: Maun to Kgalagadi?
Unread postPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:40 pm 

You can travel Ghanzi Kang Hukuntsi Kaa gate (Hukuntsi to Kaa via Kaplyn thick sand high middelmannetjie) from Kaa gate to Grootkolk Widerness Camp to Nossob. You can camp at Kaa gate,

We did it in 2011 Nossob to Kang was a 14 hour drive so rather do it in two days.

I see in another post you are interested in the Wilderness Camps. This route will take you straight to Grootkolk and Gharagab from Maun.

Very scenic from Hukuntsi to Nossob.

Been to the park a month ago the shops are well stocked and reasonably priced.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:22 am 

Thanks for the info. Is there a proper road to Kaa gate or is it a sand wilderness type road? Pen

Unread postPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:00 pm 

Hi Penolva,

I would drive through Botswana via Kang. On the way especially around Kang there are quite alot of space to have night there. Otherwise, if you have a 4X4, you could camp wild.

To bring Veggies and Meat from Botswana to South Africa can cause troubles. I wouldn´t give it a try. By the Way to drive the Legendary Trans Kalahari is always great. You shouldn´t miss that. There must be an Entrance from Bots. Kalahary to KTP, but unfortunatley I can´t give yoz any advice I haven´t done it so far.

Best Reagrds

Unread postPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:19 pm 

Penolva

It is a proper road from Maun to Hukunzi. Unfortunately from Hukuntzi to Kaa( Cutline) is is a very sandy track, deep red sand with a high center. High ground clearance is essential.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:47 pm 

Thanks guys I will study the map from your advice Pen :big_eyes:

Post subject: Re: Advice re a Day trip into Namibia from Mata Mata
Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:48 pm 

Hi All, many thanks for your input ...

We will be entering and leaving via Twee Rivieren and it was pure curiosity about the area outside the park. :redface: Thank you Friedrich von Hörsten and GavinW for the information about the Namibian side of Mata Mata and the advice it is really appreciated. We will rather do a complete planned trip into Namibia.

Counting the days to our trip to Kgalagadi... :dance:

Kind regards
Mau Perks

Post subject: Crossing border between RSa and namibia
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:07 am 

We want to stay at de Hoop camp in Aug. Is Sendelingsdrift open ?
And can we cross the border into namibia as I see there has been some flooding there. We want to go through to luderitz.
Also - can one visit Fish River canyon viewpoint from there - can you access by driving through from De hoop o do you have to leave the park. Distance / how are roads etc

Post subject: Re: Crossing border between RSa and namibia
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:26 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi there Sahara-mom, I assume you want to enter Namibia from the Richtersfeld at Sendelingsdrift? If that is the case, you have 2 options to visit both the Fish River and Luderitz. Once you enter Namibia at Sendelingsdrift, you can take the C13 north via Rosh Pinah to Aus and then on the B4 to Luderitz.
On your way back, you can take the B4 all the way back passed Aus to Seeheim and then turn right on the C12 and D601 to the Fish River Canion and Ai Ais.
The alternative will be the reverse of the above. Right at Sendelingsdrift on the D212 to Ausenkher and then to Ai Ais and Fish River. Take the C12 to Seeheim and the B4 to Luderitz.
The road between Sendelingsdrift and Rosh Pinah was closed in March due to floods, but I am sure it has been opened since. (It will be wise to check though)
There are recommendable stop overs at Aus(Klein Aus Vista), Seeheim Hotel, Canion Roadhouse near Fish River or Canon Lodge(really worth a visit) and Ai Ais.

DO NOT FORGET:
Predators at Picnic Sites, Waterholes and Toilets in KTP!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6