Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tourist and Elephant clash
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:00 pm 

Dan I see your point I just think the people in the car might not have kept quiet enough :big_eyes: to let the elephant think the car is dead..... They sometimes murder trees out of frustration when the get really mad...

And yes the Kanniedood roads is not the place to get trapped by an elephant on his way to water, or worse a herd with young..... :pray:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:03 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Dan wrote:
Had more than once suddenly had a much closer relation with the Lord in such moments. (very sudden prayer meeting)

:funny:

How many times have that not happend with me...... :doh: nearly steped on a Puffy last year........ the time the lions nearly walked in to the camp the year before...........o yes the time I was helping with game capture and missed a ellies rear end with a foot in a open Landy chasing waterbuck out of dence bush..........

Now I remember ever morning on Beyers Naude dr in traffic...

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:08 pm 

@NetEk

Surprising how quickly one can get religious. :shock: :lol:

@DrPhil

You've said it!! There is still just the timeline that beats me. Babalala is a damn long distance from Punda. There is no way these guys could have made it to where they were at 50 even if the gates opened a bit earlier, You ask me they spooked the elephant and he retaliated. Once again, only my 2 cents of conspiracy minded thinking. :think:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:50 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Dan wrote:
Once again, only my 2 cents of conspiracy minded thinking. :think:

Not a conspiracy the whole world is out to get you :w:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:53 pm 

Stop, you're scaring me...... :shock: :naughty:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hahahahahahah dan love that post ' had to convince him to get out of the tree till the elephants went extict' LMAO! :D :D

I can honestly say after having been charged so many times in kruger by ellies I have wished that a few times and then retracted my wish later at admiring their beauty

although I would like to say that I agree that they were speeding I cant as I wasnt their but I do know out of all the times Ive been charged I wasnt speeding and was charged thats the problem ellies are such unpredictable animals you just have to keep a close watch and pray and if your me keep your car in consistent reverse at an ellie sighting for just in case lol ;)

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:08 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
I have serious doubts about the elephant story. From what I can remember, the cars that were attacked were merely rolled over or has received some serious dents. I have never seen a car being completely demolished, like this one. But, in the absence of other evidence, we have to believe this man.

BTW, the scratch marks on a vehicle hit by an animal is different to those made by solid hard objects. If a vehicle hits solid objects like a road or rock, the scratch marks runs parallel to each other while an animal causes more 'soft' marks because the skin and other body gives way when hitting a vehicle, except elephant tusks.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:14 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found
Times, distances involved and as said above, the look of the car, this guy was breaking some rule.
Would not mind placing a bet that speeding was involved, surprised himself when he saw elephant in the road, break marks in the road, rolled the car and invented the story to avoid prosecution.
Lets see if there is any official response from this. I say give us the facts after an investigation, which should have been done by now.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:22 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Maybe the ellie does not like chinese :hmz:
Maybe the ellie is a member of the anti-rhino poaching squad in disguise :whistle:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:43 pm 

Ja ---- to me there are just too many questions :think: I hope the relevant authorities do a full investigation

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:39 pm 

As always, we've alerted SANParks to your concerns but please, until we know the full details don't speculate anymore.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:59 pm 

Horrific damage to the car. Looks like the ellie must have jumped up and down on it. I know cars are built with crumple zones but ............

After many years of visiting the Kruger I have learnt to be very wary of elephants - particularly those with one tusk, I always imagine the other is embedded in someone's car. The picture in Satara of the ellie attacking the car north of Letaba - that's us in the car in the background. The driver in question just sat still until the ellie banged down on the bonnet at which point he decided it was time to reverse. He escaped with just a dented bonnet and a wet seat.

Avoid getting too close and always ensure you have an exit route for a quick reverse. I hate it when someone stops right up against your rear bumper.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:51 pm 

I think the Park will investigate but I am sure they will not announce anything until they are sure of their facts. So we will have to wait and see. I do think however that a lot of people
a Speed in the park
b Get too close to elephants
c Thuink its a joke to get up close.

I am sure from what I have read here that these people were most likely speeding but they were hurt and hpefully have learnt not to forget that they are in a Park and not a zoo. The animals are not tame.

I hope it doesnt put people off visitng hte Park and I hope it will teach everyone to treat animals with respect.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The following two images are of a vehicle which rolled off the H1-7 just north of Babalala on the late afternoon of Saturday, February 18th, 2012. No elephant involved as far as I know (but that bottle of Savanna Cider may have something to do with the accident). Don't ask what that vehicle was doing there at that hour, or where it was going, I do not know.

This is pretty typical of what a vehicle looks like after it has flipped over several times (I should know, I have dealt with thousands of traffic accidents, so I have some expertise to base an opinion on).

The picture of the of the white Hyundai presents a different picture, so to speak. Note how the roof has been pushed way in, whilst the door frames on either side remain comparatively intact. Achieving such damage by simply rolling the car can really only be imagined if the vehicle bounces off something like a very large rock, roof first. Not many large rocks along the road verges in the Babalala area. Since the vehicle did not collide with anything on the road (which in any case would not cause the roof to be pushed in unless the car flipped first), elephant damage strikes me as a very plausible explanation. The tracks in the grass also seem to indicate that the car was pushed backwards off the road, which is consistent with the damage to the roof, which seems to be have inflicted from the front.

What caused the elephant to give the car a once-over is open to speculation, but what is not is the fact that Babalala is 39 or 40 km from Punda Maria. The only way to get there in half an hour is to drive at an average speed of 80 kph. "Average" means just that, so the driver must have exceeded 80 kph quite regularly for longer than just a minute or two.

Driving at such a speed at that time of day is completely insane, especially because the bush is thick for long stretches along both the H13-1 and the H1-7. (It is also, unfortunately, quite common in the north, but that's another story)

I await the full results of SANParks' investigation with bated breath!

Johan

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:36 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Some of you guys gave me a good laugh.

'Getting religious' LMHO. Whatever that means. :? You should rather have put on some funny clothes.

I would suggest that if you need money, you go into the bank and meet and build a relationship with the manager to improve your credit rating, rather than walk past the building and yell at it from time to time. :tongue:

In my close ele encounters I am pleased I know the Manager. :dance:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next