Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Meeting with animals in a Camp or Picnic Site
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:44 pm 

Hi There,

befor I wanna Start my Story I have to say I got the impression from the Arid National park, where a similar Topic was startet. I postet there already a Story, but you know all the matters with Ideas, if you keep on writing you will get always new ones. That happens to me. I was writing this Story and then I remember this one.

Please don´t be angry with me if I can´t remember the exact place becuase it happens 2002 already. During that time I was 15/16. Anway I have lived from 2001-2003 in Lesotho, my both granmothers used to come in November till Janurary. They want to avoid the German Winter. During that time we have done so many Tours.

One Tour was to Kruger Park. We realised that this special Camp had a Problem with Monkeys. At one morning we decided to play a Trick to our grannies. I know we are mean, but hey sometimes fun :whistle: . We were already a cuple of weeks on Tour so my Grannies decided to wash there clothes and let it hang in the Sun to dry out. We My parents, sister and me, took the clothes from the line an trow them on a tree. To be honest, it wasn´t a big deal to get it down, it was a very young tree. Then we called our Grannies to come, the should come quickley the Monkeys stole the clothes from the line (since now they were not aware, that we hang it up there). What we haven´t known during that time, we preparing the Trick, our Grannies prepared Brwakfast on the Stub/ Terrace. When they heared our scream they run to us. During that time, we haven´t seen it at all, a pride (please correckt me if this the wrong Vokabulary, English is not my mother Tounge) of Monkeys watched us. When we were laughing about the trick and the face of our grannies, we told them quite quik because we all have to laugh when to grannies were running to proteckt there clothes, the monkeys start a real attack on our Breakfast Table. But we haven´t seen them.

When we come back to our table we want to have Breakfast. And then we realised that the Butter/Magarine is missing. My dad said quite quik that it must be the Monkeys, but of course nobody trust him. But he was telling the truth we then startet to look fot our Maagarine and we saw it in a tree in a Hand of a baboon. This Animal was so naughty that he trow the empty Box at us. Anyway Breakfast with out Margarine...

How do i call it? revange of nature? or if you are bulding a trap be aware, that no one else built a Trap for you? Anyway the whole Story is just Surreal.

Best Regards Malealea

Post subject: Re: Meeting with animals in a Camp or Picnic Site
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:57 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Oh my Malealea,

What a nasty trick the monkeys played back at you......... :wink:

Definitely more interested in the food than the clothing!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:02 pm 

Well in this case it might be true, but I had also experience with monkeys, which stole the clothes from the line. 1996 a similar Stories happen at the eastern Coast. they stole a T-Shirt from him and he didn´t get it back....

So sometimes the animals are intrested in something else, not food. Well like humans you cann look this animals only in front of the head, not inside... .

Best Regards.

p.s. You are all welcome to post you scarring, Chilling or funny Stories... .

I have some i could tell, but I think now it´s you Turn ;-)
I just realised that I have done a lot of spelling mistakes, i want to appologise for that.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:59 pm 

In 1996 my daughter and I were on our way to join my brother in law for a 5 night stay at Letaba. When I was approaching Belfast my brother in law phoned me because he had lost his car keys and wanted me to bring his spare keys. I told him that I was not going to turn back and that he could go on game drives in my vehicle while he was waiting for his spare set of keys to be sent via DHL to Phalaborwa. After thoroughly searching the hut and verandah and walking up and down the pathway in the camp where, according to his neighbor, the babboons were apparently walking, the only conclusion that he could come to was that the baboons took his car keys which were on his verandah table, whilst they were having a nap.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:14 pm 

and did you get your keys back?

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:27 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
A few years back we went for a long weekend to Kruger, stayed in B&Dal.

The second evening there was quite a lot of lions roaring and SO and I decided to drive down to the dam and go see it we could maybe see something.

When we got there there was no lights on down at the dam, but that did not scare these two Kalrahari Apies......we went down the steps and walked towards the dam wall. What we thought we'll be seeing in the dark heavens only know....... :roll:

We've just reach the end of the walk way when a strange noise came from the dam.....we made a u-turn and walked back at a pace that would have won us a gold medal at the olimpics......must have looked a lot like Laurel and Hardy.....we only stopped when we reached the shop.

Back at the chalet the LO told us how glad she was that she did not join us and what a shameful pair we made!! All the way laughing at us...... :lol: ......never thought hippos could make one walk that fast!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:27 pm 

No Malealea we never found the keys. We had the spare set flown to Phalaborwa via DHL

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:45 pm 

That is great, Lionqueen. I just imagine the funny Story when you run like olympic Sprinters up the hill. It must be legendary.

hi Garow
That is a shame that you never get you keys back. But well it happens some time.

Quite often I´m really surprised, which kind of Stories might happen. Maybe that are enough Datas to write a book about that Stories. I don´t know if you ever read the Rangers tales, which you can buy in every SANP Shop. I find it often very amusing.

I just can talk about myself I had so many encounters with Wild Animals wihich are either, shocking, frightimg funny or just great.

I just remeber a Canoeing trip in a well known river. I was flipping down durimg a heavy Rapid. When I came up, I gave a sign that somebody should pick me up into the Boat again. When I made that kind of Signals I just turn my head and looked directly in the Eyes of an Corocodile. To be honest it was only a small one, but it is logical where small ones are the bigones are not far. Therefor I was scheaming like hell and I was in fear. I never saw my mates so quik paddeling, because they have spotted this Croc. aswell. Everything went well but that was one of my frighting experience that I ever had in my life, you can trust me.

Thank you for the audience

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:23 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Great stories Malealea, garrow and Lion Queen! :clap: :clap:

We also once thought the Vervets took the Hilux's keys at Crocodile Bridge. We were moving to another camp that day, all the luggage already outside, ready to be packed, but no keys! After a long search, with all the neighbours in the camp helping to search for the keys, I found them underneath a basket which my SO has put on top of it on the bed! :redface:

We left camp so late, but as I always say, everything happens for a reason .... we found a beautiful Lioness with her little one in the road! If we left at gate opening like we normally do, we would have missed her! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:09 pm 

we should really integrate a "like" Button on the Forum. Like Facebook do.... :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:23 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thanks for starting this thread why didn't I think of it long ago.

Very funny stories.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:44 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Mine are not as eventful or exciting as the stories above, but here are some of our meetings with animals in Kruger:

A MSC coming around the corner whilst we were sitting on the stoep of the Rudy Frankell house in Satara causing some of our very talkative family members, who are not so supple anymore, to do gymnastics very smoothly to get into the safety of the house.

Cranky elephant at Mooiplaas picnic site.

A puffadder at the communal braai in Punda Maria camp who the rangers quickly moved to the safety of the bush (the snake was spotted before any harm was done to either humans or the snake)

Two smallish snakes in Tamboti camp (do not know what kind of snakes they were, they very quickly moved into the bushes)