Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: No Fixed address for Wildcard delivery
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:13 pm 

Greetings,

This seems to be a very alert forum so thought I'd try my luck.
I am an Australian landing in Durban on 9th April. I will need a Wildcard and have no problem ordering it online - I understand that the Wildcard email will get me into parks without a problem for a length of time. My issue is I don't have a fixed address in South Africa to send the card to. I will be traveling in a Landrover all over the place, mainly visiting the National Parks.
My question is this - can I buy the Wildcard online but designate a San Parks office to pick up the card ? I know this will be difficult as there is no guarantee when it will be ready for mailing. Or perhaps just pick it up from Head Office (wherever that is ?) after a month or so ?
Or could you suggest some other solution ?

Many thanks

Chris

Post subject: Re: No Fixed address for Wildcard delivery
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:27 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Believe you can even purchase it at head office
Quote:
Membership may be purchased here or from applicable Conservation Partner Gates or Receptions. If travelling to the Parks, please ensure to check whether the required Gate or Reception currently sells membership.

http://www.sanparks.org/about/contact/head_office.php

Or phone them when in SA to discuss your best option
http://www.sanparks.org/wild_new/tourism/contact.php

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:46 pm 

Interesting question Hoko :lol:

I don't think you need to supply your address when purchasing at the Parks, if you do, just use your Aussie one. I think you then just need to find an internet cafe and go online to update your details in your own time.

However I will ask as am I sometimes wrong about these things.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:56 pm 

Thanks Bert,

Yes, in the end it might be easier to call but I thought this might be a common question but haven't been able to find an reference to it in the forums.

As I understand it you can't just go into an Office and pick up the physical Wildcard. It takes time for them to print it/make it - whatever the process is. You can buy your membership at the gate but I can do that online more easily. The real issue is where do I pick up the card when it's ready if I don't have a SA address.

Of course if I'm wrong about being able to waltz into an office and pick up the physical card - not just membership - then problem solved. But I have trouble believing it will be that easy !

Also, while on the subject, is there a list of Parks where membership can be bought ? I haven't been able to find one. I know it's possible at Kruger and other really important parks but it would be nice to have a list. My first stop will be Drakensberg I think so I'm hoping it's possible there.

Ah, I just saw Saraf's post - thank you. If that's the case that would be sort of ok. But still would be interesting to know if Sanparks can hold onto a card and make it available for a pick-up.

thanks

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:58 pm 

and thanks for the speedy replies !

Quite amazing !!

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:16 pm 

hi Saraf,

I've crawled through a few posts and your excellent FAQ list - the online process could well have improved recently and if it has that's fine. However it seems it's just as easy and quick to buy the Wildcard at the Park.

Is there any way you can confirm for me which parks close to Durban sell the Wildcard ? The Drakensberg area would probably make the most sense for me.

Thanks

Chris

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:30 pm 

Hi,
found the answer to my initial question about picking up the Wildcard on the Wildcard Magazine website under FAQ top menu - seems you can only pick up at Head Office in Pretoria.
As to Parks where you can buy the Wildcard there doesn't seem to be a written list anywhere - they advise to call WildCard and ask. Unless of course the forum can supply that info :think: (no particular reason to use this smilie other than I haven't seen it before !!)

For anyone with the same problem here is the FAQ :

Should I purchase a Wild Card in advance and collect the card at the gate or would it be easier to buy at the gate on entry?

Cards are no longer issued in Parks, as they are now personalized, and will be posted to you by registered mail, or alternatively may be collected at SANParks Head Office in Pretoria only. It is thus best to purchase or renew your Wild Card online in advance in order to ensure receipt of your card prior to departure, remember this process takes up to 4 weeks.

Should you not have received your card on time, do not worry, you will receive a Confirmation Letter at time of purchase, which will remain valid for 45 days from date of membership purchase and may be presented with proof of Identification when entering the parks.

If you have not purchased your membership in advance, you will be able to purchase membership at select gates and parks on arrival.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:53 am 

BTW, they aren't enforcing the 45 days validity of the confirmation email or receipt, it should be valid whenever you use it. But please try to update your details as soon as you can online.

The Wild website has a list of the KZN parks that are part of the Wild Card scheme but I have asked which park is the nearest to Durban.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:28 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unfortunately, I don't think they sell them in KZN!
If they do, I would also like to know where that might be.
I think it would be best for you to buy online as I think it would be very difficult to find a park in KZN where they "sell wildcards " , or even accept payment for them( they have their own version of cards, rhino gold cards only valid in KZN!)
There has been some confusion as we refer to buying a wildcard, but the actual card usually only arrives a month or more after it has been paid for , even if bought at the entrance to a major park like Kruger.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:05 am 

As far as I know the only place where you might be able to buy a Wild card would be at the Durban Tourism satellite office.
Address Here

I know you can use the wild card at the KZN parks but not sure you could purchase it there?

Maybe mail them there with an enquiry.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I don't think they sell them or they didn't before.
I tried phoning but couldn't get through so sent email.
Will let you know what happens.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:14 pm 

thanks for the KZN info,

judging from what you all say I think the best solution seems to be to buy online and then sort out the address to send the card later on - possibly call Head Office and just get them to hold the card there.

thanks again

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:30 pm 

Yes, I honestly do think that is going to be the best solution hoko! :thumbs_up:

I also tried to mail them and it came back undeliverable, mailbox full! :roll:
I then phoned and was told the National parks person was not in the office and to call back later.
The lady who answered the phone could not help.
This is why I actually don't use this office for any of my reservations, I have never had any good service from them to date. :doh:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 pm 

Thank you Elsa for trying,

I've been reluctant to call from Sydney too feeling that I'll get stuck in a queue - I should have probably at least tried but the time difference between Sydney and SA make it difficult tha the moment.

Anyway, not to worry, it sounds like the Confirmation letter works well and I'll sort the Card itself out down the track I'm sure.

I see you're from Ballito - we'll be heading for the Elephant Coast after the Drakensberg. It looks like a wonderful place to live.

cheers
Chris