Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 187 of 203
 [ 3039 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190 ... 203  Next
 Post subject: Re: Big Tuskers
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all Tuskermites !

Last June our hosts to Shingwedzi were Poenie and Selma Liebenberg - we left KNP before them and a few days later [ 17/06/2012 ] they photographped the below tusker some 10km south of Timbavati picnic spot.

When I recently went through their photos this bull immediately struck me as a possible "named" tusker and I started scanning through Aat's "TUSKERSOFAFRICA".

Unfortunately I could not come up with a certain ID. The best I could do was finding the "wart" above the elephant's eye and noticing a rather similar wart above the eye of Ngonyama's eye on the 5th photo on Aat's website.
[ Photo by Karl Kruger ]

Could this have been Ngonyama so far south of his known range ?

Aat, what do you think ?

Gerrie.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:48 am 

100ponder,
Hi my friend... Really a nice puzzle. Although it is not impossible I doubt it is Ngonyama. Struggling with his tusks.... ad the locations. I was looking for an alternative option and think it could be Madolo because of the length and shape of the tusks and location. On the picture it is difficult to see if the tusks are widely spread like with Ngonyama and the left tusk doesn't look curved upwards.
Can't ID him with being 100% sure.

[quote="100ponder"]Hi all Tuskermites !

Last June our hosts to Shingwedzi were Poenie and Selma Liebenberg - we left KNP before them and a few days later [ 17/06/2012 ] they photographped the below tusker some 10km south of Timbavati picnic spot.

When I recently went through their photos this bull immediately struck me as a possible "named" tusker and I started scanning through Aat's "TUSKERSOFAFRICA".

Unfortunately I could not come up with a certain ID. The best I could do was finding the "wart" above the elephant's eye and noticing a rather similar wart above the eye of Ngonyama's eye on the 5th photo on Aat's website.
[ Photo by Karl Kruger ]

Could this have been Ngonyama so far south of his known range ?

Aat, what do you think ?

Gerrie.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:46 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Aat,

Unfortunately only this one photo was taken of the elephant - more views would have helped a lot.

Personally I discarded Madolo as a possible - Madolo's RH tusk has a blunt splintered tip and overall
Madolo's tusks look thicker than the tusks of this bull.

As an outside chance I consider this tusker and the Impisi08 number two tusker to be the same animal.
[ See Impisi08's posting on the previous page.]

I guess we will have to wait and see if more sightings in this area are made.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I just got to share this with all the tuskermites :-

Isilu :-

Last Saturday - Isilu looked just magestic :-

And Isilu was courting the young lady standing close to his right shoulder ! :k
[ And she was quite coy about it ! ]

Just look how huge Isilu is when compared to the cows around him - certainly bigger than
the average elephant bull. :o

And then today there was this tusker on the Tembe webcam - just look how thick those long tusks
are and they are still getting thicker at the lip line - another real monster developing here. :o

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

As you all must know by now - I am single-minded about elephants with big tusks.

Now let me share with you a photo of one of the biggest tusks I am aware of and all the way from Siberia :-

This photo is from the National Geographic web site - visit
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/04/mammoth-tusks for more info.

I know I might be some-what off topic but it still is about a BIG TUSKER !

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:40 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Now that's a mammoth tusk :)

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Isilo is a magnificent elephant. I hope to see in in May on my visit, so long have I watched and zoomed on him from afar with Africam. The other tusker pic I think it may be Siqualo (correct me if wrong Aat)

100ponder wrote:
I just got to share this with all the tuskermites :-

Isilu :-

Last Saturday - Isilu looked just magestic :-

And Isilu was courting the young lady standing close to his right shoulder ! :k
[ And she was quite coy about it ! ]

Just look how huge Isilu is when compared to the cows around him - certainly bigger than
the average elephant bull. :o

And then today there was this tusker on the Tembe webcam - just look how thick those long tusks
are and they are still getting thicker at the lip line - another real monster developing here. :o

7-11 Satara
12-15 Olifants
16-19 Lower Sabie
20-22 Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I'm so glad, Aat, that you've given my favourite "bent ear" a name - Mavumbye. :dance: :dance: I've been keeping pictures of him when he has appeared on the Satara webcam since late 2007. The last pics I have are April 2011 and I wondered what had happened to him. He seemed to have a routine of appearing there every few months.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:59 pm 

Shushin,
I have been one in Tembe and had all the luck you can imagin. Just arrived and taken by the camp manager to the waterhole because Isilo was there. I could maken a few hundred pictures of before he walked away. A very very impressive moment to see him. I have seen a few other tuskers as well. I am not familiar enough with the other names. Communication with Tembe does not work well, I will try to change that soon.
I really hope you see several tuskers in May and please let me know later on about your experience and if you have nice updates for my tusker site...you're welcome :) :)

[quote="Shushin"]Isilo is a magnificent elephant. I hope to see in in May on my visit, so long have I watched and zoomed on him from afar with Africam. The other tusker pic I think it may be Siqualo (correct me if wrong Aat)

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:02 pm 

Very nice to hear chirinda !! I was lucky to see him with my own eyes. Really nice tusker :) :)

chirinda wrote:
I'm so glad, Aat, that you've given my favourite "bent ear" a name - Mavumbye. :dance: :dance: I've been keeping pictures of him when he has appeared on the Satara webcam since late 2007. The last pics I have are April 2011 and I wondered what had happened to him. He seemed to have a routine of appearing there every few months.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:59 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you Aar for the nice reply. I will if he is around have a word in Ernest's shell like :wink: and see if we can get the communications opened up .
I fear due to Isilo's age this will be the first and last chance for me to see him. We have lost so many of the big boys this last 2 years. But on the bright side :D we seem to have some really good and upcoming large tuskers in the making. These I have observed while doing my cam duties for Africam. I will of course endeavor to take many :cam: front view (if ellie will oblige) of any I may be lucky to see while at Tembe in May. I will contact you on my return.

Aat wrote:
Shushin,
I have been one in Tembe and had all the luck you can imagin. Just arrived and taken by the camp manager to the waterhole because Isilo was there. I could maken a few hundred pictures of before he walked away. A very very impressive moment to see him. I have seen a few other tuskers as well. I am not familiar enough with the other names. Communication with Tembe does not work well, I will try to change that soon.
I really hope you see several tuskers in May and please let me know later on about your experience and if you have nice updates for my tusker site...you're welcome :) :)

Shushin wrote:
Isilo is a magnificent elephant. I hope to see in in May on my visit, so long have I watched and zoomed on him from afar with Africam. The other tusker pic I think it may be Siqualo (correct me if wrong Aat)

7-11 Satara
12-15 Olifants
16-19 Lower Sabie
20-22 Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:28 pm 

Hope you have a wonderful time in Tembe.

It's a bit quiet with the Big Tuskers ... if you captured one or some of them please post them. It's great to see them and helps to update their pages at the tusker site. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:37 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Marhumbini - pic taken at Thihongoyeni end of December 2012

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:39 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We also saw this collared elephant at Thihongoyeni during the same period?

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:43 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Also this beauty - does he have a name?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3039 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190 ... 203  Next