Skip to Content

Kruger in Winter.

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
pnm

Re: Are the bungalows cold in May?

Unread postby pnm » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:07 pm

Here is a photo of me in bed in Crocodile Bridge on the middle of winter.
It is not the photo I wanted to put in but it'll do.
Note that I am under the comforter and blanket and that I removed the comforter before sleeping as otherwise I would be too hot.
I am wearing the fleecy top over my t shirt as I had just come in from outdoors.
Note the book to read to lull one to sleep.
What the picture doesn't show is the half toasted-sandwich (tomato, cheese and onion) I have on the bedside table for a late night snack, nor the torch which I find useful for going outside on the early hours to find whatever is roaring or snorting or trumpeting on the other side of the safety fence.

It was on this night about half an hour after this photo as taken I told my wife in a tremulous voice, "There is something in the bed.
It is touching my leg."
With a maidenly shriek I threw back the bedclothes and sprang onto the floor.
In the bed was an ant.
I still claim it was a large one but my wife, who was laughing so hard she could barely breathe, told me it was not so large.
Nonsense. It was a huge ant with slavering jaws etc.
I simply flicked it onto the floor and went back to bed.
In retrospect it was simply the normal Kruger ant that one gets occasionally.

Sleep well in Kruger - you'll be warm. Don't worry.
Pete

Pete

LeslieW

Cold Nights in Bungalows?

Unread postby LeslieW » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:33 am

Hello!

We are booked for various bungalows between July 8 - August 1 in Skukuza, Olifants, Satara, and Lower Sabie. It has just struck me that night-time temperatures are around 6 C. All the bungalows advertise as having air conditioning, but is there heat in the bungalows? Should we plan for cold weather sleeping?

Thank You!
Leslie

Shushin
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Cold Nights in Bungalows?

Unread postby Shushin » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:43 am

Extra blankets are available in the wardrobe. But I would put your pjs in as well. Enjoy your trip.
May 2014
3 Skukuza
4-6 Letaba
7-11 Satara
12-15 Olifants
16-19 Lower Sabie
20-22 Croc Bridge

carocat

Unread postby carocat » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:55 am

I always take a hot water bottle ... After freezing a few years ago in Tamboti tents. But the days usually so lovely and warm. July can't come fast enough !!

Guzz

Unread postby Guzz » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:05 am

The bugalows are very cosy.

I don't think you'll need anything more than winter PJ's.

Spooning also helps... :) :whistle:

Nkulu
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Nkulu » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:28 am

The aircons supply enough heat to keep the accommodation cosy, and there are more than sufficient blankets. I find the aircons drown out the night sounds, so switch them off during the night, and first one up turns it on again just to defrost the room. I have only ever needed a small heater in the tents (for early morning dressing)
and have never taken any extra bedding. Rather have a warm jacket handy to don over pj's while the kettle boils :D During the day you may be pleasantly surprised to realise how warm the days can be. Enjoy your trip
Nkulu

I am a free spirit...Either admire me from the ground. Or fly with me...But don't ever try to cage me.

Croc Bridge 11 June 2015
Tamboti 12 June 2015
Shingwedzi 13 & 14 & 15 June 2015
Balule 16 June 2015

kite
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby kite » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:38 pm

I have taken a sleeping bag but have not needed in accommodation.
Used to keep warm in car early in morning.

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby Crested Val » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:50 pm

Most bungalows have been updated with new bedding, which includes huge thick blankets and huge thick bedspreads!!! We go in summer, so always take them off!!!

Also as previously said, the air con units can be switched to blow out hot air, so you will not be cold in a bungalow.

Take warm PJs and that will be sufficient, I'm sure!!!

Hope you have a wonderful trip. :thumbs_up:
Thinking of Africa every day.

Jock
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Jock » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:24 am

We found the bedding inconsistent from one camp to another. One would have blanket and bed spread which was nice and warm, while others just had a blanket and sheet on the bed. It was cold at night and I used an extra blanket and most nights slept in my track suit. The problem with air con/heaters is they drown out the animal noises which is always a great thing to hear. Most camps we heard bush baby, hyena and occasionally lion.
Cheers
Her Highness Jockelina

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

jaxidean
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Kruger in Winter.

Unread postby jaxidean » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:38 pm

Last year early October our first weekend in Olifants was one of the coldest few days the entire year, then we went to Letaba and Tamboti and experienced temperatures between 33 and 41 and then to top it all we went to Mopani and oh my it was the coldest weekend I felt in 2013 even the cold temperatures in Joburg the previous winter could not top that icy cold in Mopani :(
50th Bash Roodewal 12 -17 Novemeber 2015

isinkwe
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)
Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found

Unread postby isinkwe » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:54 pm

Winter in Kruger is the best, it does get Image in the caravan at night, so Morecat came up with a plan :wall:
It basically involves me cooking supper on the Image , and giving Morecat something toImage and then she goes off to have a nice hotImage and while she does that , I go and do the Image , when I get back from there , It is my job :wall: to put the dishes away--- activate the electric blanket :wall: and have an Amarula coffee prepared when Morecat returns. :D :D If I do my work well, I get to sleep next to Morecat in a nice warm bed :D :D
That's a bonus :D :thumbs_up:
KRUGERPARKING is good for your health. Keep on KRUGERPARKING.

isinkwe
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)
Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found

Unread postby isinkwe » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:59 pm

I only do all that because I want to :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
KRUGERPARKING is good for your health. Keep on KRUGERPARKING.

LizelleB

Winter camping advice

Unread postby LizelleB » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:20 am

Hello Everyone,

We have not been able to go to the Kruger in a while and our hearts are aching to go back “home”! We are planning a camping trip with our little 2 year old boy for the 1st time in July to introduce him to the wonders of the bush. :dance:

1. I would like to ask the fellow forum members what winter temperatures are like in the Kruger in order for us to be well prepared. (Southern or Central Kruger)

2. Also, anything that DID OR DID NOT work for your toddler that we should plan around. Our boy is very adventurous and inquisitive (like most boys) and I think he will really enjoy this experience. But it would be nice if mom and dad can also relax :k(Malaria tablets and info etc. already covered with Paediatrician)

Hoping to hear from you!
Liz

║▌│█│║▌║││█║▌│║
© MΛDЄ IИ SOUTH ΛFЯICΛ ®

Elsa

Re: Winter camping advice

Unread postby Elsa » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:01 am

Wonderful to have a trip planned Lizelle! :thumbs_up:

Do have a read through Re: Kids/Babies in Kruger NP info. and also Kruger in Winter
both topics have some great advice and info!
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Tieroog

Re: Winter camping advice

Unread postby Tieroog » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:25 pm

Hi Lizelle

Hope you get plenty of good info.

My 2c worth:
1 I have not been to the Kruger in July, but in June and August. Temperature varies. Generally speaking cool in the morning to sometimes quite cold at night. Especially when camping. You will need duvets and blankets. Nothing worse than being too cold to sleep. I always take my winter PJ's. BUT last year in August we drove from Satara to Lower Sabie for the day and the temp gauge in the car hit 39 degrees!!! During the day we normally wear shorts and t-shirts.

2 When my sister's grand daughter was 2, we took her to the bush for the first time, but we did not camp on that occasion. Still, she LOVED it!!! I was quite surprised, as I thought it would be a loooongggg 10 days with her in the car. It as fun for all of us! We would go for a drive in the mornings, go back to camp and again out in the afternoons. We always had enough toys (and drinks and snacks) in the car and she either played, looked for bokkies or snoozed when out on the road. We stayed at Pretoriuskop, Lower Sabie and Berg-en-Dal. She enjoyed the first two camps more, because she could run around and play on the grass during the day.

You will enjoy every moment and I am sure your son will learn to love the bush as much as you do.

Tieroog

PS: A funny story... Not too long after we came back, traffic was quite hectic down Ontdekkers one afternoon. My sister said out loud: I wonder why all the cars are going so slow. And the little one answered: Duuhhhh ... they are probably looking for bokkies, Ouma!!
Satara: 10 - 22 August

:)

Return to “Kruger National Park”