Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 6 of 9
 [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: The webcams made me do it!
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:39 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Cammer of the Year (2013)
Award: Cammer of the Year (2012)
Sunset drive continued..... :D

On the way back to camp we saw a steenbok trying to hide :wink:

And the German couple got their wish to see a hyena :thumbs_up:

Back at camp Dad and I had a beer to help wind down from all the excitement of that drive.
Even the guide told us she hadn't seen the wild dogs for over a year, and how lucky we were to see them that night.
Dad and I felt super lucky to have seen them twice in one day!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

We went and sat at the fence and finished our beers.
It was quiet at the waterhole, so Dad left to get ready for bed.

I was so tired and we had a long drive back to Joburg the next day, but still I couldn't drag myself away from my beloved Orpen waterhole :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I was so happy when 2 large ellie bulls suddenly materialised in the spotlight :dance: :dance:

They mostly gave me bumshots, but I was fine with that!! :lol:

It seemed that no sooner had they arrived and they were gone again.
And then one very tired Aussie finally laid her head down to sleep…. :sleep:

When I got back home to Oz, I checked the cam sightings to see if anyone had been watching while I was sitting at the fence.
And YES!!! Lionspoon and vinkie posted these pics of "my" ellies!! :gflower: :gflower:

Way cool!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:50 am 
Hello everyone and Happy 2013!! :D :D

Bushbuddies, vinkie, hilda, barryels, Pumbaa, chirinda, Lionspoon, Melrockson and Super Mongoose
I thank you all for your lovely comments :gflower: :gflower: :gflower:

But most of all I thank you for your patience :redface: :redface:

The Aussie summer is a very busy time for a herpetologist.
Then throw in Christmas and New Year and blow me down nearly a month has gone by since my last installment! :doh:

Also, from reading other TRs I learned that writing about the last hours in the park are very difficult :?
That is so true and may also be part of the reason I have been lagging behind...

But finally I made myself sit down and get this tough day done! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:53 am 
Final morning at Orpen :(

I didn't sleep much that night. I couldn't believe our 2 weeks in Kruger were nearly over! :slap:

To make the most of our last hours Dad and I were up and out the gate at 6am and off down the H7 to Satara for breakfast :thumbs_up:

It was a very quiet drive all the way to Nsemani Dam but there we saw our last maribous :D

Then just before Satara a little cutie was there to say goodbye :D

And I had to settle for this last Impala Pic of the Day :thumbs_up:

Dad and I had our favourite brekky of toasted ham, cheese and tomato sandwiches at Satara.
And as much as I enjoyed those sandwiches there was a deep kind of ache in my gut knowing there was only an hour and a half left before we had to check out of Orpen by 10am :(

So we quickly finished our sarnies and were back out on the H7, wondering what our last sightings would be :pray:

Oh wow, a jackal! :clap: :clap:

Our last warties :cry:

And then an ellie roadblock to end our Kruger adventure 8) 8) 8)

It was a breeding herd with mum and her little calf leading the pack :D

YAY!! I got a decent pic as they ran through the gap in the cars! :thumbs_up:

And this is my last photo taken in Kruger National Park :D :cry:

We got back to our unit at 9.50am with 10 minutes to leave :shock:
It was a sad rush and after handing in the keys and going through the gate we were once more in the "outside world".

Oh how I just wanted to be back in Kruger.......

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:37 am 

hi all melphs dad again i know that you all will agree with me that melphs trip report has been sensatiable ,and on reading the last day certinly brought tears to my eyes and i am certinly looking to 2015
kind wishes to all we will talk again soon
melphs dad

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:31 am 
Orpen to Joburg :?

Once we left Orpen gate behind a whole new adventure started unfolding for us.
We now had to drive 5 hours back to Joburg and return our trusty Terios at the airport.

Again I asked myself, who was the idiot who thought this would be a good idea? :slap:
Oh yeah, that was me :whistle: :lol:

The immediate thing we noticed outside the park was the speed at which people were driving :shock:
It felt soooooo fast after all that lovely cruising around Kruger.

Not far into the drive and the Drakensburg Mountains started rising up before us 8)

Dad and I soaked up the images of South Africa along the way :thumbs_up:

The scenery was stunning :D

The colours in the rocks were amazing :cam:

We drove through the J.G. Strijdom Tunnel at the Abel Erasmus Pass on the R36 8)

For a while there we forgot our Kruger sadness, enthralled by the landscape around us.

But once we got through the Pass the traffic really started picking up and all of a sudden we were in the stream of cars and hurtling towards Johannesburg :shock:

We hit a section of the R36 that had potholes bigger than the Terios!! :big_eyes: :big_eyes:
It was a very scary stretch of road.

On the N14 we stopped at a petrol station and swapped drivers for the last leg of our exhausting road journey.
Dad did an incredible job driving through Joburg to get us to the airport safe and sound :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

After the car was checked in we went to the Europcar desk to call the guest house we were staying at that night.
They told us that Henry would be there soon to collect us :thumbs_up:

While we were waiting for the bus we saw some familiar figures walking towards us.
OMG it was Karin (Magic Guarri), Stef and Maxi!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

We could barely believe our sore eyes :D :D :D
Unfortunately the meeting was fleeting :(
They were having dinner with Shi, and we were being picked up.

Still it was a wonderful moment after a stressful drive and we promised to keep in touch and see each other again in 2015 :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Henry from Sunrock arrived soon after we waved goodbye to Karin, Stef and Maxi.
Arriving at the guest house was like going to the home of a close relative.
Finally we could start to relax.....

After showers and a change of clothes we headed to the lapa for a cold beer (or 3) :wink:
We were both exhausted and in a bit of a daze, trying to process what we had just experienced over the past 2 weeks in Kruger.
What a magical time it was….. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

But only one more sleep and we would be in Cape Town, the next stop of our father and daughter adventure 8) 8) 8)

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:54 am 
20 hours in Cape Town :thumbs_up:

After a much-needed good night's sleep, Dad and I were excited about our flight to Cape Town :mrgreen:
We had a yummy breakfast at the guesthouse and then Henry drove us to the airport.
We had only known Henry for 2 days, but already we had tears to wave goodbye to him.

We arrived in Cape Town at 1pm and were met at the airport by Rizwan who drove us to his guesthouse for the night.
Just out of the airport we saw Table Mountain!! :dance:

We soaked up all the new sights and sounds as we drove :thumbs_up:

Table Mountain is such an iconic natural wonder so we were thrilled to see it getting closer and closer :D

It turned out that our guesthouse was only a 25 minute taxi ride to Table Mountain :thumbs_up:
So we phoned our Cape Town contact, and arranged to meet at the cable car.

The view of Cape Town was spectacular 8)

Dad and I were really looking forward to going on the cablecar up to the top.
But when we got to the ticket desk an orange siren was flashing! :slap:

Oh well, can't do anything about gale force winds, so we took the time to enjoy the view and take some tourist shots :cam:

Our contact in Cape Town is a gentle giant of a man named Johan. Dad and I had met Johan the very first night we arrived in South Africa, at the Sunrock Guesthouse in Johannesburg. Johan had been on a golf trip to Sun City and was staying overnight at Sunrock before his flight back home to Cape Town. Johan, Dad and I were picked up from the airport by Henry in his trusty minivan. We all had a great chat in the van on the way and later that night we met up again in the lapa for dinner and a few beers. We told Johan we'd be in Cape Town in 3 weeks time and Johan said you must call me.

So we did!! :lol:

Johan and his wife Trudy were so kind to spend their afternoon and evening with us. They drove us to see some sights along the coast, followed by a quick visit to the Waterfront and then to their favourite pub - The Foresters Arms - for dinner and a big rugby match on the TV.

It turned out Johan’s team were playing the Queensland Reds, so there was lots of good-hearted South Africa vs Australia jokes and jibes. It was a wonderful evening, but as with everything, it had to end. Johan and Trudy drove us back to our lodge and Dad and I were in bed and sound asleep not long after our heads hit the pillow… :sleep:

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:03 am 
Cape Town to Karoo NP 8)

Dad and I were up, showered and dressed and down in the breakfast room by 8am.
We were very excited. Our next rental car – another trusty Terios – was being delivered to our accommodation :thumbs_up:
After filling out all the paperwork we finished our brekky and were packed and checked out of the lodge by 9.30am.

We took the M5, and then got onto the N1 which would take us all the way to the Karoo NP!! :dance: :dance:

Just outside Cape Town we went through some incredible mountain scenery, plus winery after winery.
I’d never seen so many grape vines! :lol:

Next we came to the Huguenot Tunnel which goes through the Du Toitskloof Mountains that separate Paarl from Worcester.

As we drove past Worcester I was thinking that the name was very familiar to me :hmz:
Worcester, Worcester….oh yes, then I remembered! :idea:
Our wonderful cam forum moderator MATTHYS lives in Worcester!!!
If I had known our journey would take us right past Worcester I would have tried to arrange a mini-meet :doh:
As it was, all I could do was give MATTHYS a big wave out the window :yaya:

Soon the scenery changed from lush green vineyards to vast, desolate, rocky hills.

WOW, so this was the Great Karoo, the largest ecosystem in South Africa, with a rich diversity of flora and fauna found nowhere else 8) 8) 8)

During the early planning stages of our trip I had to decide between visiting Mountain Zebra NP or Karoo NP :hmz:
My mind was quickly made up after I read this on the SANParks website:

“Karoo National Park has a very rich reptilian fauna. Of particular significance are the 5 species of tortoise. However there is also a terrapin, an agama, 2 chameleons, a monitor, 18 snakes and several geckos, skinks and lizards.”

For a herpetologist this sounded like absolute heaven! :clap: :clap: :clap:
So the Karoo NP it was :thumbs_up:

We continued through to Beaufort West to pick up some supplies, finally arriving at the gates just before 4pm :D :D

Although exhausted after the long drive, Dad and I were very excited about this new experience :thumbs_up:
What animal would we see first?

Ostriches!!! :D :D :D

And then we caught our first glimpse of the camp :thumbs_up:

After Kruger this was something completely different 8)

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:35 am 
Our cottage in the Karoo :D

Check-in was smooth and I was really happy to get the cottage I hoped for - #38, which was right on the end with an uninterrupted view :mrgreen:

Whilst at reception I had two very important questions to ask.

First, where might we find the lions in the park on our drive tomorrow?
Several of the lions have radio transmitter collars, so the rangers know where they are at all times. Unfortunately for us, they were in the rugged west of the park and due to all the rain, the 4WD drive loops in that section had been closed :doh:

And my second question was where are the washing machines?
Dad and I were down to our last pair of undies :lol:

The lady told us that due to all the electrical storm activity the mains power was down and generators were supplying power for essential services only - not washing machines :doh:

Right on cue, there was a massive clap of thunder and lightning before the skies opened up and let loose with a torrential downpour :shock:

Oh well, we would just have to handwash some essential items :thumbs_up:

We drove up to our cottage. It was lovely, with a glorious view, despite the weather :D :D :D

We were even more impressed with our view when the clouds cleared a bit :cam:

The changing light playing on the clouds painted a different view in the sky every time I looked outside 8)

We hadn't been there long before some visitors came to see if the new humans had dropped any crumbs.
I think these birds might be familiar chats? :hmz: I'd love any help with IDs from the experts :thumbs_up:

Dad and I sat out on the stoep with a beer and binoculars and scanned our surroundings.

And WOW!!! Look what we saw from our cottage?? Our first ever springbok!! :dance: :dance: :dance:
After watching them on the Nossob cam for years it was so great to see a springbok with my own eyes :thumbs_up:

And another birdie in our "front yard" :D

In between checking out our view Dad and I took turns to wash our clothes in the bathroom sink.
It gave me a whole new appreciation for washing machines! :lol:

Halfway through the washing, the power went out.
Oh well, we simply donned our trusty headlamps to see what we needed to do :thumbs_up:
I think the power might go out quite frequently as the cottage had a good supply of candles :gflower:

So we had a yummy candlelight dinner of tomato, cucumber, fetta cheese salad, chips and beer while watching the sunset 8)

In between unpacking and getting ready for bed we kept peeking out at the ever-changing view.

One last pic before I had to lie down and close my eyes….

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:53 am 
Karoo morning drive :D :D

The only downside of our lovely cottage was the bedding situation :?

The cottages in the front row, with the uninterrupted views, are intended for couples - not a dad and daughter.
The cottages with twin beds were in the second row of accommodation.
When I was making the booking the park website said there was a double bed plus a sofabed in the front cottages.
I really really wanted the uninterrupted view and thought a sofabed would be fine and that we could each have a night on it.

So that night I had a wonderful sleep in a comfy double bed with lovely linen and woke up to hear an owl hooting outside :mrgreen:
Even though it was only 5am, I was refreshed and ready to go.

On the other hand, Dad didn’t have a very good sleep on the sofabed at all :doh:

Poor Dad, I felt terrible :(
But unlike his daughter, my Dad never whinged about a lack of sleep :k

So we quickly got dressed, packed our cameras and binoculars and headed out to do a drive before breakfast :thumbs_up:

We set off on the Lammertjiesleegte Loop at 6am.
It’s 13 km long and takes an hour or two, depending what you see.

Dad and I were so excited. What would we see first?

Oh WOW!!! Our first ever gemsbok :dance: :dance: :dance:
Again, I had only ever seen gemsbok on the Nossob cam so I was over the moon to lay eyes on one for real 8)

Ooh and then our first ever red hartebeest a minute later :clap: :clap: :clap:

Another minute later our attention was caught by a zebra :D

But not just any zebra. These were Burchell’s zebra with quagga bred characteristics 8) 8) 8)
Another “first” to add to our growing list that morning :D :D :D

On the other side of the road, we got a glorious view of the sun beginning to rise over the mountains :mrgreen:

Next up was an ostrich - with a chick!! 8)

And then we saw a kudu in the bushes :D

Followed by more ostrich :thumbs_up:

Up ahead I spied some little fluffballs in the trees. I think they are namaqua doves? :hmz:

And just look at that view stretching our before us! :mrgreen:

Even though the scenery was quite “desolate” it was still absolutely spectacular 8)

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:12 am 
Morning drive continued :D

Dad and I had only seen a handful of ostrich in Kruger, so we were delighted to see plenty of them in Karoo NP :thumbs_up:

Halfway around the loop you come to the Bukraal Picnic spot, so we pulled in for a pit-stop.
I was very impressed. It even had a pool!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
If we'd had more days in the park it would have been lovely to go and have a picnic there :thumbs_up:

As it was, our tummies were grumbling and our thoughts were on breakfast back at camp :lol:

On the way back we saw a cute little steenbok, with an itchy ear by the looks :wink:

This was probably the same zebra we saw earlier on in the drive, but now we got a much better look at his quagga-bred characteristics 8)

I also think this was the same gemsbok we saw but he was a bit closer this time.
Such handsome antelope :D

And our final sighting of the morning drive was another steenbok :D

By the time we got back to camp it was nearly 8am and we were STARVING!!! :lol:

Another reason I chose the Karoo NP was because breakfast was included :thumbs_up:
And boy was it yummy. Good coffee, bacon, eggs, tomato and mushrooms on toast.
Just what two hungry Aussies needed before heading out on the next drive....

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:41 am 
Ready and raring to go on our next drive! :D :D

After being refuelled with a hearty breakfast we set off on the Pottekkertjie Loop at 9.30am.
This loop is around 50km long but Dad and I didn’t care how long it took to complete as we had the whole day ahead of us :thumbs_up:

Shortly into the drive I heard a new bird call :hmz:
We stopped to try and find the owner.

Oh WOW!! Our first bokmakierie!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

He or she was singing their heart out so we just stopped and listened for a while 8)

Next we got our bestest ever steenbok sighting of the whole Africa trip :dance: :dance: :dance:

Dad and I had seen black eagles at the wildlife sanctuary in Zimbabwe, so we felt like seasoned stiffnecks when we were able to identify the raptors flying overhead this day :thumbs_up:
Unfortunately the black eagles were far away, but still I managed to get a photo :cam:

Next up was our second ever springbok! :wink:

We had the whole loop to ourselves. Just me and Dad and the vastness of the karoo 8)

Ooh look, a hartebeest youngster with mum :D

Things were a bit quiet after that until a sudden movement from the sky caught our attention.
A pale chanting goshawk flew down into a tree :thumbs_up:

Unfortunately this striking bird didn't stay long before it took off again.

Next up was our third ever springbok! :whistle: :tongue:

Then we had our first Karoo NP roadblock :D I think they are Namaqua sand grouse? :hmz:

tbc...

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:29 am 
A lizard lovers paradise! :mrgreen:

About an hour into the drive we came to a stretch of road where it seemed every rock had a lizard on it! :dance: :dance: :dance:

I was in herpetologist heaven!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

And my Daddy was ever so patient, stopping at every rock :redface: :k

The female agamas are quite drab in comparison to the males in their breeding colours.

This male was putting on a fine show to impress the lady :thumbs_up:
After many attempts, I finally managed to get a little video of his “come hither” moves.

My goodness!! :shock:
A male agama’s charms had certainly worked on this heavily pregnant female!

Ooh and a little baby agama – very cute! :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:04 am 
The Pottekkertjie Loop continued.... :D

At first sight the karoo looks like lifeless country, but in fact there were heaps of animals about :thumbs_up:

Dad and I liked this roadblock 8)

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:06 am 
The quagga-bred zebras may look a bit different to the Kruger zebras, but they all give the same bumshots! :lol: :tongue:

But then he did pose quite nicely as we drove off :cam:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:13 am 
More handsome gemsbok 8)

And then....

Me: "Stop Daddy!! Reverse! No forward a bit..."
Daddy: What is it? Where?
Me: It's a lizard on a rock!! :whistle: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next